Another Phase 4 Item Approaches: Tooltip DPS!

You do have no mana regen while spinning.

This part of the tooltip needs changed for clarity.

It should be something more like:

You have no mana regen while spinning.

or

You do not have mana regen while spinning.

I prefer the first, shorter one.

The training dummy really should be adjustable then.
(click on it - open drop down menu - choose assumed enemy lvl - done)

1 Like

This looks great, I love it!

I would also love to have a DPS recap on the training dummy, mostly because of more complex calculations (bonus stacking, on bleed bonus, etc).

It would be even better if we could change its defensive stats.

1 Like

Looks great, lots of info and much more clarity.

And we need a training dummy that’s flagged as an enemy. Ideally with Evil Twin goatee…

5 Likes

“You do have no mana regen while spinning”

1 Like

Any chance that hovering over the dps number can give you the flat damage value (per hit) and attack speed? I’d also love to see the flat damage broken down by type if multiple types apply. That kind of info in a tooltip would be incredibly useful.

I imagine this kind of information will remain in the character sheet.

(We’ll be improving that, too, though tooltips are the focus of Patch 0.8.1.)

3 Likes

I thought it would be nice to have that info available per skill, too, so that skill specializations and any other skills-based info can be accounted for. For example, attack speed on character sheet != skill attack speed depending on nodes selected.

Personally, while I “use” the dps on the char sheet as a measure, it feels very imperfect given the constraints of the skill I care about (maybe the skill cares about void damage more than physical, etc.).

That’s the plan! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s just a matter of where that information goes; we can allow people to click on skills to see information specific to them in the character sheet. We do want tooltips to contain useful information and to be worth looking at, but there’s UI challenges with them being too thorough. We already have some item tooltips that struggle to fit on the screen.

3 Likes

(Thank you for the replies!)

Ah, good! As long as that info is accessible somewhere. It bothers me a bit that I currently optimize item selection by trial. I have to mod a weapon up, try it, and see how it affects a dps number that doesn’t reflect my skills. I’m glad you all have plans for this! :slight_smile:

And yes, even with the prettier, new-style tooltip, I was a little worried about the screen real estate - I get that you can’t put too much in those. But the tooltip looks nice!

1 Like

IMO (as I’ve said before), we need a separate tab with comprehensive skill info that’s updated live (to account for temporary buffs):

For a more advanced “tooltip”, IMO it should have all the possible details that you can have:

• hit damage broken down by element
  • attacks/casts per second
  • ailments broken down by ailment & % chance to apply
  • crit chance
  • crit multi
  • duration
  • cooldown
  • AoE
  • mana & channelling cost
  • leech (either total or per second), health/ward per hit
  • other defensive effects like additional dodge or block
  • secondary effects with chance to apply, damage & cooldown (eg, Tempest Strike’s spells that it can proc)
    And for minions have some additional details for their hp, resists & dodge/block.

IMO, that should be a separate screen/tab on the character screen with tooltips for all of the above breaking it down, eg, each element of damage would be broken down into the skill base damage, additional damage from gear/passives/etc multiplied by their added damage effectiveness, crit chance would show the base crit chance, any added crit chance & increased crit chance.

6 Likes

Ultimately I’d like the damage formula (skill, skill nodes, passives, items, …etc.) just like the one d3planner provides. So I can understand what influences the damage.

The DPS tooltip is a great comparison for item changes. You can easily figure out if an item is better compared to another by checking the tooltip after swapping. For this comparison it’s not relevant if it is the dummy damage or damage against lvl 100 enemies.

Also I asume the DPS numbers will be a measurement value for builds. Therefore it’s good to have a base that is the same for everybody.

Having the exact damage numbers vs certain enemies is just “interesting” but not necessary for the purpose of the tooltip DPS.

3 Likes

cool.
Damage and average DPS updated with temporary effects/buffs/stacks and skill nodes would be extra cool. (To be able to see real, total output damage at current moment)

If you mouse over a new piece of gear it shows in green & red writing what ya gain & lose by switching

That’s what happens. It updates live based on your current stats.

1 Like

You guys are hot

Looking great !
If I may humbly suggest, giving the scaling tags back either their color and/or their capitalisation would be a good idea (it’s pretty crucial information/there is a need for it to be pushed forward, or so i believe)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.