Aiming Assist Feedback

As a Marksman player, I find that the newly added aim assist has made my gameplay experience significantly worse.
I haven’t heard any feedback from players asking for an aim assist for the last 3 years, maybe i overlooked something or maybe it was needed for players using a controller.
I would like to give a few examples why I find this implementation bad and hope that you will have the opportunity to toggle it off in the options menu:

1. Range playstyle should be harder and reward players with proper execution. Marksman requires alot more player skill compared to other classes or builds that are able to facetank everything by holding right click trusting their numbers and stats. I want to feel the difference with classes and identify myself as a good shooter/marksman with proper aim, tactical positioning and good kiting abilities. I dont need and want any aim assist tools making my life easier.

Well… here comes the funny part. Currently the aim assist actually destroys your tactical approach and it serves more as a punishment than a quality of life tool.

1. I will show you a little example how the aim assist currently works. This is a scenario where you have 2 monsters infront of you. The smaller, less dangerous monster standing closer to you. The high hp, more dangerous monster that you want to attack a little bit behind.
    If you aim with Detonating Arrow towards the big hp monster, the projectile is going out for the small enemy. Why is this bad? Well, i want my main dmg to do on the big hp monsters so that the tendrils can finish off the small monster nearby to get rid of the dangerous monster first. This is just a one simple and logic tactical approach on how you can work around or use certain skilltree behaviours.
    And the worst part is, this happens SOMETIMES. So you can’t guarantee how the projectile behaviour acts with the next shot. I want full control over my abilities and skills.

Please make it possible to toggle off this feature. I want the projectile to fly in the direction where i’m clicking the cursor. Just a little side note, there is already a homing skillnode in Detonating Arrow tree…

10 Likes

or if you want to express skill, aim at the larger monster directly instead of directionally :stuck_out_tongue:
I may be off with this, but it seems to work for me.

1 Like

I tested it frequently and during february weekend events. The projectile is also off when you directly point at the enemy or behind.
Also if you want to stutter step and kite properly you dont want to hover your cursor all over the screen ontop of an enemy, you click infront of you into the direction of an enemy that you want to hit.
There are also hitbox issues on some enemies where the game doesnt register the target that you want to click.

Bow projectiles have always been a bit off if you’ve not got your cursor on the base of the mob you’re tagetting. I reported it as an issue back when Rogue was released.

But compared to 0.9 projectiles felt really good in 0.8.5
The only issues i had before 0.9 with bow skills was Flurry on Haruspex Orian (first boss in chapter 1) that still has targeting issues and some areas where projectiles didnt appear (we have alot more areas now - not only affecting bow projectiles).

2 Likes

Agree with Trikster here.
Suggested Solution:
Aim Assist has the following options:
– On/Off Checkbox
– Aim at Breakables checkbox
– On Radio Button Options:
----- Aim at closest monster
----- Aim at Monster with highest HP
----- Aim at Monster with highest DPS attack

1 Like

I think this needs to be a toggle for sure myself. I actually could feel this immediately and rogue is my least played character. But I tried to play a ballista bomber and needed to use puncture to restore my mana.

And it felt like my arrows were never going where I needed them to or wanted them to. it felt extremely clunky and bad to have my linear projectile be uncontrollable.

I think for the players that like it, they should be able to have it. but I want more control over my projectiles.

Thanks for bringing this up Trikster. I completely agree with you that our auto-aim is something that needs to be reworked to feel better. I personally have run into many situations where I was frustrated as well, particularly for melee and bow skills. One of the problems is I believe auto-aim only currently takes into account the player position relative to enemy targets. That is why the aim redirection feels so snappy when an enemy happens to step a tad closer than other. This can create for awkward situations in combat like your image above and other situations where your character is twisting unnaturally to target something completely behind them.

I have poked the team about my personal complaints with the system. It’s going to be tough squeeze it in with all the other cool stuff we want to do for 1.0 but I will do my best to get a discussion going about this problem. We can possibility find a short-term solution till we have more time to give the system more direct attention.

5 Likes

Can we get an optional toggle for the moment, so at least we can turn it off as an option?

I would for sure disable it completely as you guys keep working on it. As of today it’s a huge downgrade of what we previously had. Seems like controller focused feature?

It is crazy how much it is impacting all classes gameplay in a horrible way.
Some skills are unplayable, like marrow shards.
Marrow Shards scuffed 0.9 auto aiming
In that clip I try to detonate the marrow in front of my target to hit it with the splinter, but the game just overrides my precise commands. Can’t play this build and many others until this is addressed.

Should be a super high priority imo

2 Likes

We can probably turn it off for this conversion, I think that would make sense.

It’s not that auto-aim adjustments isn’t a high prio, it’s more that it needs careful tuning and testing to get right. This would take time. We could add auto-aim toggle for abilities in the future but from a design perspective it’s not a healthy approach because it would just push back design development and urgency for a UX pass of the feature.

Thank you Kissingaiur for responding to this. Auto-aim can potentially affect the competitive aspect of LE pretty drastically, which I think is a big reason to get this addressed ASAP. Thank you again for hearing us out on this matter. If it helps, please use this clip by Lizard to help spark discussion for auto-aim changes going forward - Twitch

Thank you EHG :slight_smile:

The auto aim only has a slight impact on the competitive aspect imo. Its still more a punishment rather than a feature you can abuse to get better.
Even though i agree with you that in a risky moment the wrong targeting can cause you a death in arena.

Imo what is way more important to talk about is, that this feature causes players to stop playing certain builds. I was chatting with @LizardIRL about this and hearing from him that he stops playing a whole mastery because of this auto aim is something EHG should consider.

I pretty much play Rogue exclusively. And i reached a point of stop playing Last Epoch just because i just cant enjoy the class anymore.
I dont understand how this can not be top priority.

The problem also is, that with 0.9 alot of new players came to the game and most of them dont know how good the gameplay felt in 0.8.5. Probably thats why there is not alot of feedback from the playerbase.

I’m happy though that alot of veterans agree with me and even Anna for taking her time to respond to this. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

And its not only auto aim, the whole projectile behaviour causes so many bugs atm. Detonating Arrow can pierce, which is not a correct behaviour and destroys dmg output. Just one example of many many problems and bugs currently in 0.9

3 Likes

clip by Lizard to help spark discussion for auto-aim changes going forward - Twitch

I brought this up to our lead designer and he was taking a look at it. I can’t remember if there was any movement to address auto-aim specifically for melee abilities (melee abilities’ auto aim is a lot more loose then non-melee skills).

I fully agree auto-aim in this situation is feels extremely odd and shouldn’t happen in natural gameplay.

6 Likes

IMO just let us totally disable it in the “settings > gameplay” section.
It can be on by default and turned off if the user opts into it.

Please? <3

2 Likes

100% True.

It used to be better. Make it optional global toggle everyone happy.

3 Likes

I agree just a toggle “Aim assist” On/Off for all abilities. There doesn’t have to be a toggle for each ability.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.