Affixing bad feels

A crit success should NEVER feel bad. Especially if it is something out of the players control.

Example from my recent play session.

I hadn’t played in a while and Rogue had come out since I last played so I made a new character. Along the way I found a decent weapon and decided I was going to use a shard on it to make it useful for a little while. So I was looking at the different shards I had and saw that some I couldn’t use because I wasn’t high enough level for the next rank of the affix. Makes sense that higher affixes were gated behind higher levels. So I just added a simple Dex shard to the weapon. 100% chance and BOOM Critical Success! Your chance to slow on hit has upgraded. At this point I’m like wow ok that’s awesome. Go to re-equip the item and I can no longer because the awesome free upgraded affix made it so that now my item requires me to gain 2 levels to use.

While this isn’t an endgame issue it is certainly one that probably has annoyed more than just me. And I know I can just buy a weapon from the vendor and kill stuff for a few min to gain those levels but the feeling of the game celebrating my new unusable weapon caused me to call it quits for the night (was late anyway).

There should be some way to avoid this. Off the top of my head I can think of two ways:
1 (bad but potentially easier way): Put a system in to prevent getting a crit success roll that would cause the item to be unequippable.
2 (better option): If the crit success would cause the item to be unusable in this way add a “hidden” system level item level reduction that keeps it at its current level.

Aside from that I am quite enjoying what you guys are building here. I have gone back and am now able to use my bow but it made me sad when it happened.

In addition to this issue, I think Critical Successes should target the affix being upgraded first, unless it has already reached its cap. In your scenario, the slow on hit may have been a “throwaway” affix on an item with 3 other good rolls. The Critical Success will now make it harder to max out those other 3 rolls, which is more of a punishment than a free benefit.

1 Like

I dont think critical success adds any extra instability so it wouldnt make it any harder to then level up other affixes, but im not 100% sure

1 Like

Could you please double check, if the item really wasn’t equippable by your character or you weren’t just able to craft additional tiers?

Items should not become unusable.

If the item got a higher ilvl then your char level, please submit a bug report.

While I was mistaken about the item (was a quiver not a bow). It did in fact make the item require level 15 where I was only level 13. I will submit a bug report as you suggested.

1 Like

I’ve had this happen to me before, but it is super rare.

@boardman21 while the crit doesn’t add any instability, the chance to fracture is also based on the tier of affix you’re crafting and the number of affix tiers already on the item.

Its based on the instability and the affix your crafting but not on other affix tier levels. A tier 2 affix % chance wont decrease unless you add instability which doesnt happen on a critical success level

Is there a formula that correctly predicts the chance to fracture based on instability?

If you have 14 instability you have 86% chance of success there inversely correlated. Then you add 5% less chance per tier of the affix your crafting on not all affixes on items.

Ok, if that is correct, then the dagger below (zero instability) would have a 5% chance to fracture when upgrading the t1 crit multi to a t2:
https://imgur.com/yvPbw1f

https://imgur.com/0CG5ohe

So it looks as though they have instability = 0 as a special case which sets the fracture chance to zero.

The first enchant is weird ive seen it say 100% then jump down to 75% after 1 enchant. So idk about that situation lol might need Dev help

In that example (going from 100% on the first craft then down to 75%), I’d assume you were crafting an item with 0 instability & a t3 affix. The craft then upgraded it to t4 & you added 5 instability (5 + 4x5 = 25% chance to fail on the next craft attempt).

So excluding first enchants the formula I gave is accurate?!

Also based on that formula critical success does not hurt your odds of craft on affixes other than the critical successed affix but it already got a free level so its cool

I’m sorry, I’m going through a tunnel, I’m loosing signal…

1 Like

I had the same issue several times, so either I was unlucky all these times or it’s relatively common.

Yeah. Today it happened to me, too. This should defenitely not be the case.

There already is a bug report on the forums about this, but the thread got closed recently.

@Sarno:
Are bug reports supposed to be closed automatically like the normal forum threads? And are you still able to track and answer closed reports?

1 Like

Hey, I haven’t read every reply but I just wanted to pop in and make sure it was clear that it’s supposed to prevent adding another affix if it would make the level too high. It’s also supposed to critical success on the same affix heavily weighted more often than others, however the way that level requirements work, an upgrade from 4 -> 5 will increase the level requirement more than 1 -> 2. So it ends up feeling more likely to get it on the others when a Crit success happens on the highest level affix on the item.

We are making some fairly large changes to the crafting back end soon so I’ll make sure to double check this functionality during that.

7 Likes

Therefore it is not fully working as intended. I had this problem several times. I would say maybe four times, for about 330 hours in the game. I even thought it was norlmal behaviour and I had to be more vigilant. ^^

Moving thread from #feedback-and-suggestions to #bug-reports.

Yes.

Also yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like