Add Unique Crafting - Rolling

What is the most frustrating and I think unredeemable part of the game currently, is a huge variety of rolls on uniques. One easy example, but there are even more dramatic ones, are Omnis. Omni can roll anywhere from 1% all res to 43% all res.
Other Uniques, have roll brackets like from +1 to all stats to +13 to all stats. From 40% freeze to 200% freeze and so on.

Even if you get a good high LP drop once in a 100000/hrs gametime, even if you slam perfectly jumla affixes/ once in a few dozen of tries usually. You are still left with unchangeable and almost always bad inherent rolls on Uniques.

3LP unique with bad inherent rolls is usually much worse by overall impact than 2lp unique with perfect rolls, despite them being 1000x different in rarity.

What this game needs is Unique Crafting an alternative of Divine Orb from PoE. Those glyphs should not be cheap or common at all, they should be sparingly used only on high LP items. They should be farmable with a certain decent amount of chance from some of the end game content/pinnacle bosses.

You might still need to roll an item 10-20 times to get a decent roll on unique stats.

4 Likes

Well… that is by design.

The idea is that if there are more ways a particular unique could be good or bad you get to be excited about dropping that unique multiple times, the first time because you get it, and then every time you get a chance of getting better rolls. (LP rolls serve the same purpose, but this idea was there before LP was a thing)
It is a way of getting more longevity out of the game.

Now, whether this succeeds at making you excited about dropping uniques is up for debate. Now that LP is a thing, it is probably a lot less needed to keep drops interesting, and I could see them making a dungeon for rerolling uniques.

It’s bad design.

While you do get the initial rush of excitement as you see the item you want drop (and maybe another when you see the LP), it’s quickly supplanted by an even greater feeling of disappointment when you see the rolls and realize you’ve got more junk.

Imagine getting a 4 LP Omnis with bottom rolls for all modifiers. Something like that doesn’t add longevity, it makes people quit.

1 Like

That’s valid.
LE is definitely overdoing it, and Omnis was designed at a time when LP did not exist. Now that LP is a thing, they should definitely revisit some of the roll ranges and make them less random.

And since we are there, they should also revisit the orobyss boots.

1 Like

it’s only a bad design when you have a economy such as this. The higher and more concurrent players a game can keep, the better this design works with. Also, the handling of influx of gold plays a big role on that. Otherwise, that huge range for a good roll does good for the economy and game as a whole.

The game is designed to ideally let you experience end game cap at around 300 corruption according to EHG. In other words, needing to keep gearing up and pushing to higher and higher corruption is pointless because it work around that and let you progress that way.

However, you do have the ability to do so, mainly with the option and aid of MG. If you decide not to, its on you. Still possible but highly unlikely. That is where offline mode should come in where it allows some sort of mods where it helps the users play how they want.

If you need to be MG to progress, then again that’s bad design. The two factions are supposed to be equal.

1 Like

You do not need mg to progress for endgame. The ideal endgame baseline mentioned by EHG themselves is around 300… If you were to ask me, end game already stopped before 200 corruption, as soon as you were able to complete all empower monos and t4 dungeons.

There is an infinite number of levels so it doesn’t work. Someone’s always going to get stuck and come to the point where they have trouble progression due to equipment. At least in this scenario, you get an option. It’s an MMO, trading is the ideal way to help you gear on top of RnG, otherwise it would be a solo, co-op game.

Maybe not you but there will be playeers always that run and feel stuck with their gear and progression, then they will say the same thing.

The way MG is doesn’t have to be the best design but what you are proposing is a worst day imo, for the current state of where the games at.

There are some uniques that have meaningful roll ranges and some that don’t.

Especially for the higher rarity ones I think it’s extra exciting, because not simply getting one is rare, but having good rolls on different stats is another thing that makes them even more rare.

I like when Uniques give you that feeling, everytime you drop it you want to check the rolls and be excited.

That is why I put a lot of Roll ranges on my own Creator Unique. Finding the same Unique over and over again (even without LP) has value.
So much so that a 1LP with non optimal stats might be worth less than a perfectly rolled one with 0LP.

The example you gave with Omnis is a very extreme example, but that is what makes Omnis great. Not every build needs all of these resistences to be good anyway. It is enough when certain resistences that you can’t cover with Passives or Implicits are rolled well.

What is your creator unique?

But when LP is a thing, the rolls serve only as a source of disappointment.
What generally happens is the following:

1. you drop the thing
  2. check the LP
  3. see that it has 2 LP
  4. excitement ensues
  5. you check the rolls
  6. see that the rolls are terrible
  7. disappointment replaces excitement

Note that, to me, the opposite does not happen. If I drop an LP item and the rolls are good, I am relieved more than happy.

My Creator Unique is Death’s Embrace (2H Scythe for Harvest)

I just don’t share your sentiments. I am very different.

The combination of roll ranges and LP just make drops very variable and that is great for me. I don’t want to find the same static unique over and over again.

It is cool to have decision making:
Do I want to use the 2LP unique with worse rolls
Do I want to use the 1LP unique with better rolls
Do I want to use the 0LP unique with close to perfect rolls

The next statement is not directed at you, but something I did see a lot around the last couple of weeks:

People have so unrealistic expectations and hyperbolic statements regarding unique with LP.

Something like 2LP Twisted Heart with low % current health to ward roll: TRASH

No the item is not trash, it is just not as good as it can be and now it’s up to the player to decide if they want to use a better rolled one with lower or no LP or if they sacrifice a bit of that for some other good affixes.

Items are always on a spectrum and even though you can have perfect items or “absolute garbage” items. Most of the time it is not as black and white. It is not Good or Bad, it is something in between.

5 Likes

Omnis is not a unique you are meant to be getting easily and using with all the builds. The crazy range of rolls on it is intended, a good one is meant to be rare. You are basically asking for higher unique drop rates but in an indirect way.

Uniques already lost quite a bit of excitement thanks to factions, allowing people to reroll affixes is gonna make it even worse.

I hope EHG learned their lesson that power creep doesn’t stop people asking for even more of it.

1 Like

I was expecting this, from my interactions with the forum with you I know that we play and enjoy the game in very different ways. And that is OK.
I just wanted to give my perspective on how this aspect of the game is lived by me.

The game by design asks a lot of your time in exchange for power. And that requires, at least to some extent, to waste your time. That is part of the ARPG formula and that is also OK.

But the issue is that sometimes the game is a bit too transparent about what it is doing.
And the combination of LP and the extensive roll ranges of some unique items fall in this category, specifically, the case when an item is viable or not viable depending on these roll ranges.

This. Or Eternity Cache rerolls as another gold sink. I’d like gear customization mechanics to feel like they improve the feeling of progression instead of hindering it so oppressively.

Where is this mystical feeling of excitement? If the intent is for 1 feeling of excitement for every 100 feelings of fuck this fucking game, something is seriously wrong.

Every time someone requests ways to improve loot or the loot hunt, it’s always the same, “well, duuurp, you don’t need that loot to get to empowered monoliths” or “but, then loot won’t be exciting”. Yeah, well, it’s not exciting now, either.

Loot drops fall into just a few categories:
a) fuck this fucking game and this fucking bullshit rng
b) oh, that one… again
c) AGAIN!??!?!?!
d) about fucking time
e) this might be useful for leveling

None are exciting. None are immersive.

I’m in the middle on this. I agree with aspects of both sides of the argument.

One potential option would be a rune that is as rare as a Rune of Creation. Rune of Evolution, as it were, that allows you to re-roll a unique. I would never want something like this to be easily available.

This would present a number of issues. It probably should NOT be available in MG. Would it be completely rerolled? Meaning you might lose the LP?

Exactly. I have suggested something along the rarity or a creation or despair. Or, perhaps it could be created, using X (250ish or so) amount of random shards from your crafting stash. So then actual crafting becomes more though-provoking, since you wouldn’t have 2000 +health shards to just throw around, willy-nilly.

Yeah, using it would flag the item as no-trade, and it couldn’t be used after legendary crafting. So you’d have to use them, then pray you don’t brick the legendary craft, and end up with a perfect-rolled uniqiue, with crappy exalted affixes.

1 Like

What am I proposing exactly?

OP

For you. Don’t take that comment and apply it to me though for example. Thanks.

I would argue about the exciting part.
And yeah, loot generally isn’t immersive unless you let your character wear it :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a viable option to implement.
Creating it not so much as it shifts the whole crafting mechanic around in major ways.
How do you even get to 2000 health shards? I stopped at 100 for each and got nothing more then 450 of one.

I’m not the OP.

I don’t necessarily think rerolls are the best solution. And even if it is the solution they decide to go with, I think it almost certain that it would be locked to CoF. Or, at the very least would render an item untradable.

Personally, I think there’s several fundamental flaws with the design of the CoF that need to be addressed first. If they can find a way to bring them in line with each other–which is their stated goal, then maybe we won’t need rerolls.

At the very least I disagree with you that “it’s only a bad design when you have a economy such as this,” unless you think the only people disappointed by bad rolls are in the merchant’s guild. I also disagree with you that this game is an MMO. It’s fundamentally a solo/co-op game with a trading system shoehorned in. That the trading system ended up being better is a foreseeable, but also unintended effect.

1 Like