Actual faction idea thats realistic

i will do my best to describe this.

lets combine factions and change the order of rewards to match. Each level you can choose between a merchant reward or COF reward.
Example:
you hit level 4 with favor and you are given the option to have increased t7/6 drop rates or to buy and sell exalt items.
you hit level 5 with favor and you are given the option to have increased unique LP drop rates or buy and sell uniques with LP.

there would be no COF/Merchant tags on gear but there would be reason gear has an untradeable tag. say you have speccd into higher lp drop rates, if this passive procs the item dropped would be untradeable. The reason for this is due to us also having the option to respec our “faction” rewards but when we do respec we have to regrind the favor for levels.

There are multiple reasons this would be beneficial.

1. ARPG players appreciate freedom to choose different paths that are unique to them and their needs
  2. one huge drawback in the game current state is leveling alts. doing away with faction tags allows gearing an alt feel less overwhelming and gives the freedom of not being pigeon holed into the same faction as your main
  3. this will allow people to play a game more unique to their play style
    Example:
    i dont like target farming uniques but i do like farming universal drops like exalted items- i choose being able to buy and sell unique items instead of drop rate and i can choose increased exalt drop rate rather than being able to buy/sell them.

This is a pretty poor idea, and it doesn’t actually create more choice. It only creates an illusion of choice, because while you can technically choose, there are very definitive right and wrong choices, and everything that’s wrong is a newbie trap.

For example, there’s no reason to ever choose Exalted Affix Chance from Rank 4 CoF over the ability to trade Idols from Rank 4 MG. There is likewise no reason to ever choose trading Exalted weapons from Rank 5 MG over Mono Reward Upgrades from Rank 5 CoF when you can simply choose MG at Rank 7 and trade everything. Every rank is like this.

Choosing between a pot of gold and a pot of turds is not a real choice. This is just a thinly veiled request to have the best benefits of trading and the best benefits of CoF simultaneously.

For a piecemeal bonus choosey system like this to be even remotely appropriate, the entire faction system would have to be completely reworked, reconceptualized, and rebalanced. And so do drop rates, since you can now have all the drop rate bonuses from CoF that were designed and balanced without the ability to trade whatever you want at any time, on top of the ability to trade whatever you want at any time. The result would necessarily be that either the bonuses suck or base drop rates suck, or some combination of both.

2 Likes

For argument’s sake, lets say you picked CoF for ranks 1-4 then MG for rank 5 so you’d be able to buy exalted weapons but not idols, non-LP uniques, sets or magic/rare items? I kinda like the idea though it does feel a bit odd. But you’d get all of the 1-4 CoF rewards instead.

Would this be set by account or by character? I’m not entirely sure it would matter if the items still had the rank requirements.

the rewards would be changed to implement this. the current COF and MG rewards would have a tad of an overwork

I am sorry, but I don’t see any mereit to this. Either you want to trade or not. Either you want to get better loot or not.

Having a mix of both is weird and unncessary.

2 Likes

it would be account bound but respecable. you’d just have to re-level your favor. items found due to COF procs would have an untradeable tag but there would longer be merchant or cof tags

unnecessary other than the qol it adds when leveling alts, wanting to switch builds, wanting to have gear that doesnt pigeon hole alts into being merchant or cof depending on the tag. i like the idea of being able to choose the way i farm while also having access to trade. i want increased unique drop rates but i wont be able to trade them. i want to be able to trade exalts but wont have an increased drop rate or vice versa depening on what you want

They’d need a complete overhaul, not just a tad of an overwork. It would be completely unbalanced.

And again, it would necessarily require a massive reduction in power for the entirety of CoF, or a massive reduction in drop rates to compensate for having the best of both systems, or both. You can’t tweak MG bonuses because they can only be binary - Can you buy thing type yes or no. And it still doesn’t solve the problem of having obvious good and obvious bad choices. When you don’t have to go all in on CoF or MG, there is nothing that a CoF-type bonus can reasonably offer that competes with the ability to buy any Exalted or Unique item.

This is a solution looking for a problem in a dark room without even a flashlight.

did you not read the post? if you choose increased drop rates you dont have the option of selling that rarity of item… or vice versa

I kinda like how factions are their own thing, from my point of view the current iteration while rough around the corners its pretty good. It just need some minor changes, like QoL for MG interface, and some Boss unique targeting for CoF.

I’m not quite completely understanding this. I see a different way on how the factions work but how exactly does this help improve the game?

1. So items dropped will have a possibility to be locked depending on if your passive procs? That seems like a lot of rework to be done.
  2. It’s basically locking players to whatever passives they choose? I’m guessing be account bound or else it will just force players to have to have alt characters for alt passives? That doesn’t seem more ideal than switching around. Better off just locking players to a faction per character if thats the case imo but I can see why you would want best of both worlds. The way it works is at times, 1 favors the otther but at the end, mainly, MG is more superior, which isn’t surprising as this is a MMO game and not single player.

Yeah, I did.

Did you?

This is not a good idea, and you clearly didn’t think enough about it before sharing it.

every arguement you made had nothing to do with the post due to you thinking you have “the best of both worlds” if you have increased drop rates for a particular rarity you will not be able to trade that type of item. i know plenty of players would enjoy have increased lp drop rates without needing to purchase them but would still like to buy the materials to slam into those uniques.

Can you let me know in advance how many times I’ll need to repeat the thing I already said?

Your idea is bad dude. Paint it however you want, it’s just trying to get the best parts of CoF and MG simultaneously and pretending not to be. We all have bad ideas, it’s cool. Like one time, I tried the cinnamon challenge. Woof! But don’t do yourself the disservice of doubling down on an idea that is very not good.

I think what broncocollider was saying went way over your head.

The system u are proposing goes against the whole design philosophy of the item factions.

The point of it is. Do u want to trade or not.

Ur version is a best of both worlds type thing. To do this. The entire item faction system would need an overhaul as well as balancing

2 Likes

do you not feel its needs some form of overhaul as it is? even just in terms on player retention, the current system does no favors

The current system helps with giving some players to have the choice of that SSF aspect… It’s a favor to even implement that when they could’ve just only implemented trade … Sure, they can also remove trade but that will kill a big part of the point of even turning it into a MMO.

Mind as well leave it as a single or co-op multiplayer game, a lot less stress and easy handling vs tens of thousands of players where 1 person can ruin the server for everyone.

It doesnt need an overhaul. It does how ever need some tweaking in both factions.

For player retenion I think they need to fix the gosh darn performance issues before they do ANYTHING.

How is rubber banding in towns and memory leaking not a top priority? i’m on a pretty beefy computer system, 64gb ram, i9 12900k, RTX 3090 and the game rubber bands me too much while navigating in towns and has some serious delays ocassionaly when picking up a lot of shards on the ground. CLICK… WAIT…ok got it. There is not excuse for this poorly optimized game engine and should of never been released like this.

For sure. Performance issues , especially memory leak should be a priority then content.

Picking up abundance of shards and runes always have a few seconds of freeze. Loading maps still freeze often in parties. Tons of other memory leaks too. Although, I never had any problems with rubber banding and my computer is way under performed than yours.