<30 FPS on Linux even with Very Low Graphics

Hello,

In 90% of areas and situations, I’m getting sub-30fps using Linux via STEAM and standalone client. Opening inventory cuts that in half.

CPU+GPU: AMD 4750G
RAM: 32GB 3200mhz ECC RAM
Drivers: Mesa 21.0.3

Attached
le_graphicsmanager.ini (495 Bytes)
Player.log (392.1 KB)
Player-prev.log (182.4 KB)

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Tricky to answer this as there are obviously issues with LE that related to performance - the recent UI update with 0.8.2 for example has caused GPU Usage spikes whe opening windows etc… LE is in beta and I dont think anyone will argue that its perfectly optimised just yet…

Thats one side of the issue…

The other side is your 4750G. From what I gather reading some reviews online - not many as this is an OEM chip that is less than 10 months old so not many people have them.

From what I gather it is proving to be a pretty good CPU with lots of overclocking potential. However, it includes Vega 8 integrated graphics. I was not able to find specific information but assuming your chip includes the latest Vega 8 5000 series iGPUs, it is unfortunately going to struggle in LE…

If you look at Userbenchmark as a quick comparison - you will see that the Vega 8 is almost 200% slower than a 1060 3gb in gaming performance…

I use a 1060 3gb and I have found that I can get a decent 50-60fps on very low settings at 1080p. I find this to be the most stable and reliable setting to play LE with my system.

So if the 1060 is roughly 200% faster than the integrated GPU in your chip, then I figure that 30fps might actually be a pretty valid fps…

If you read Toms Hardware Review on the 4750G you will see that they say its “passible at 1080p” now I dont know their definition of passible but if you read the third page you will see that its average fps across all tests at 1080 barely hits 60 on low settings and gets in the 30s and 40s in more graphically intensive games. There are MUCH better performance results in 1280x720 resolution.

So… yes, LE needs work and I am sure the devs will get to optimising it soon… but you also need to be aware that your iGPU may not be up to the task - or at least your expectations.

Side note: Other than considering dropping your resolution to improve performance, I would also suggest that you enable the framerate limiting (not vsync) - LE plays much nicer with graphics if you limit it… Obviously for your system you may have to limit it to 30fps if you keep 1080p.

there is not much to add to the informative post from vapoufire.

what i’d like to suggest is that you change your display server from wayland to the X-server or spawning a seperate, not nested x-server session just for the game (if this is possiple from a wayland session). I don’t know if wayland improved with gaming performance, but a not so long time ago it was pretty bad.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I didn’t realize that the Vega 8 iGPU was that far down the list in the performance spectrum, or how graphically demanding Unity is.

I tried an Xorg session, and, although it resulted in a much-smoother menu experience, the FPS in game was exactly the same.

I tried forcing Vulkan, which I’ve read can significantly increase the performance, but that resulted in getting stuck on the loading screen, and I found an error in the Player.log, so I guess I’ll see if I can get lucky and maybe that can get sorted.

i also had no luck with vulkan the last time i tried it.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.