0.8.5 on the Horizon | Development Update January 2022

I fixed it for you.

:man_facepalming:

I wonder if there’s a cultural or language difference here, because that makes absolutely no sense in English. You can’t have a social interaction if your PURPOSE isn’t social. It’s a matter of intent, not physical reality. That’s the entire defining difference between the words interacting and socializing. That’s why the two different words exist.

Anyway. we seem to agree on most points besides the semantics, and I’m assuming we both want the game to succeed, so I’ll leave it at that. Not like either of us can directly influence EHG here lol.

1 Like

That is most definitely not how society works. We require people to fulfill physical and material functions (i.e; we do not need our dentist for socializing or our farmers for intimacy). Society is formed through social interactions that do not facilitate knowing someone (I can trust my banker without getting to know them).

Regardless… this is becoming an argument that should have moved to personal messages long ago.

However, yes. As an investor and fan of the game I do want Last Epoch to succeed - which is why we, as a community, must discuss features that could improve the game and ones to be avoided.

AKA, online, “don’t feed the troll”.
A lost art.

2 Likes

Oh they absolutely can! The meaning ascribed to them even changes with time as well as location! “gay”, for example has a very different meaning today compared to, say, 100 years ago (“with gay abandon”), and “fanny”, has a very different meaning in US English compared to UK English as does “spunky”…

1 Like

And yet, when we are referring to “the words” social, socialize, and socialization we do not consider alternative vernacular for them.

These words do not have different cultural meanings - outside of misinterpretation. Could you provide a cultural example of social, socialize, or socialization that do not reflect their definition?

These words do not have different cultural meanings - outside of misinterpretation.

I’m not entirely sure that’s the case, since we can’t seem to agree on the definition or meaning :rofl:

You seem to think that absolutely ANY interaction between 2 people is automatically social, which is not the way I was taught.

In my view “socializing” requires the intent to be social, i.e. friendly or something beyond the immediate transaction, rather than simply a requirement for more than one person.

I’m not sure if it’s a cultural difference or not, but there’s clearly a difference in how we perceive the words, which I think he managed to highlight in a rather offbeat way.

Side Note: About half of those words on the linked site mean the same thing in America. It just depends on the context of the conversation.

Can you give examples of direct interactions between people that are not social?

Indisputable fact: I can trade with someone without socializing one iota.

End conversation.

1 Like

Fixed it.

Except you didn’t at all.
Trading in online games only involves pressing buttons and using mouse clicks. Period. You can’t deny facts with snark.

We’ve already had that discussion. What I see as an interaction or a transaction that has 0 social elements, you consider social simply because a second person exists, even if there’s no social conversation, intent, or action.

Simply putting an item in a trade window, in my mind (and the minds of many others) is NOT social. There is no intent to BE social. It’s the difference between a work meeting and a social meeting. It’s the purpose and intent. You disagree with this definition, and simply require there to be people interacting.

I have gone far enough providing facts.

Pressing buttons and using mouse clicks in a digital environment still requires another person on the other side performing reciprocal actions.

The socialization is there:

• Someone must verbally suggest that they have something to sell.
  • Someone must verbally agree that they want said thing.
  • Social agreements are formed on price (if cost is too high, item will not be sold, etc.)
  • Players meet in digital space.
  • Trade is concluded.

You have not provided enough evidence to prove otherwise. These are social interactions that require two players.

This involves more than using the Gambler or the Merchant NPCs - there is far more happening; social agreements.

False.

• I press a button in a UI
  • the Game Engine sends a text message to a player with preformatted text “CharacterX wants to purchase ItemY which you have listed for Z Gold.”
  • The seller presses a button in the UI to accept the trade
  • The buyer and seller click UI elements to conduct the trade

None of that qualifies as socialization.

Game, set, match.

Wrong. You must first send a message to the player:

• “@Cow31337Killer, I would like to buy your +1 Radiant Mace of Glory for 10 gold.”
  • Cow31337Killer: “Sure.”

By this logic, me being in the same room as other people is a social gathering, even if I sit in a corner, ignore them all, and don’t talk to any of them.

(Not saying I would do that, but just the presence of a 2nd person doesn’tl make a transaction social). In my mind this doesn’t require evidence, as the definition of the word “social” is different than that of the word “interaction”.

Socializing is “the action or practice of participating in social activities or mixing socially with others.”

Note that it doesn’t say “participating in activities or mixing with others”. “socially” implies that there’s a purpose beyond simply interacting.

That’s not at all what I said.

Take this same situation and include an awkward “Hello” (an interaction) and this has become social.

Wrong, you do not have to do that. You see the item in the Item list. Next to it is “Make Offer” button. You press “Make offer” button, and the game engine automates a message to the seller.

See how easy it is when there is no actual code / implemented system ? I can make up anything I want and make my point.

T-that… that is literally what we’ve been discussing…

There needs to be direct-to-player interaction to ensure that trade remains social. I’ve argued against systems like auction houses because they dehumanize the entire process…

This is mindlessly frustrating…