Your Javelin mastery

What are you thinking?

All masteries have some synergy with throwing attacks, Paladin gaining added lightning damage while getting a small nerf to the crit chance.

Forge guard?
Paladin?
Void knight?

Sound off here! I think I’ll try Paladin first, maybe void knight after then roll a FG.

Forge guard has a lot of +throwing skill nodes and shield nodes with additional bonus to throwing attacks. It seems to suit the javalin skill. On the second hand, it doesn’t fit with the Forge Guard lore (steel, minions + fire).

Conclusion: I have no idea what place the FG has but ill see it tomorrow when the patch is actually released.

Hard for me to ever say no to doing a Paladin. I like the idea of electrify, but I’m not going to commit to it until I see electrify’s base damage. I also have a feeling there will be some lightning/electrify nodes being added to holy aura at some point.

Also not knowing how much mana those Javelin conversion nodes will tack on, if there is a mana reduction node at all, and with the adjustments to smite’s mana generation and attack/cast speed bonus, I can potentially see myself going Javelin for spending and Smite for generating.

Paladin seems like the best option. If my last character wasn’t a Paladin I’d be doing this for sure.

How can you use smite for generating if it doesn’t generate Mana on proc anymore?

Manually cast it, you can get up to 20 mana on cast which is quite a lot.

I’d probably go with VK 'cause of those juicy echoes (& most of the throwing modifiers are in the bottoms half of the FG tree.

I’ll have a deep look at the passive trees and the skill tree before deciding.
My first thought was for Forge Guard (throwing and two-handed weapon), but I’ll review all before deciding.

Has anyone made VK work? Right now I’m trying smite with that banner part of the javelin tree. Smite is basically the main skill with Javelin/Anomaly/Devouring orbs as support. The damage is alright but it’s definitely clunky. Also most of the damage comes from spell damage, especially the devouring orbs, which sort of defeats the purpose of the build.

I’m really want a pure throwing VK javelin to work but it just doesn’t seem to have the synergies that paladin or forge knight do. The one thing that makes it juicy is the echo procs but that’s about it.

I have a setup on my VK similar to this so a couple questions on how you have your smite tree setup may figure out whats going on.

1. Do you have smite converted to void (yes/no)
  2. Are you using increased throwing speed, melee speed or both?
  3. What is the tool tip dps of the smite no buffs?

Then some of us with skill knowledge can work this through. I do not have any issues with the damage or clunky. The only issue is that you probably wont get to a pure throwing build due to the charge requirement on the javelin. I use the javelin as extra smite procs and supplemental damage, not primary.

I also use Items - Last Epoch Item Database as my weapon for ease of use.

I had fun doing void cleave with javelin focusing on voidfused projectiles and maxed siege barrage. There was also interplay with throwing attacks applying time rot and void cleave then benefiting from time rot stacks. Not sure if I would call it “great” how I played it, but something to consider.

This is what I have right now:

Ignore the Anomaly in the skillbar… I’m actually using volatile reversal. I always mixup the icons.

The damage is actually really good. Tons of smite procs. My gear is also kind of crap but I have tons of %inc void, so having both hits and time rot works fine. Ideally with better gear I’ll probably switch to pure hit & crit.

I have -3 spell cost prefix on a sceptre right now so smite procs basically cost nothing. The main issues are a) that it’s not a great monolith build because it takes time for damage to ramp + javelin CD and b) it’s not really a javelin build either, which I want to play. It’s a good bosser and arena build though.

I reviewed the link. There are missing items.
A couple of suggestions are I would take the bottom section of the devouring orb tree to allow it to orbit you, then take the move speed nodes, then cosmic impact, and the mana efficiency nodes. That could clean up the DO interaction.
I use the javelin to gather mobs to the flag. I removed the capture the flag node. I do not think that the void version of the javelin will be a pure javelin like the lightning version with its cool down and charge requirements.
I also focus on the lightning portion of the smite tree, not the sacrifice, that is just a matter of choice.

I had a Shield Throw Paladin, who I had to respec. He now uses Hammer Throw instead of Shield Throw (still proc’ing Smite with idols) and he also uses Javelin.
He throws the Javelin, which leaves a Holy Trail. Then he walks the trail, with Hammers orbiting him.
It’s just a first test, but it seems to work fine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.