Yet Another Shard/Rune/Glyph Autopickup Suggestion

Yes I am aware this has been suggested and shot down repeatedly. I am suggesting it yet again since it comes up literally daily in the in-game chat. This is something basically everyone wants, and frankly it should be a thing for multiple reasons, and my reasoning is the following:

1. They go into an “infinite” stacking inventory. They are only ever used in menus like gold, except gold is auto pickup, and at least as far as I am aware crafting materials won’t be tradable, so there isn’t much use to having them be physical items that actually hit your inventory (ESPECIALLY when shattering items directly deposits them as well anyways).

2. They really don’t have “weight”. Yes picking up items feels good when they are good items, but since everyone is pretty much ALWAYS going to pick up every shard they find, it loses all sense of weight to it since it just feels like a necessity to do anyways (Yeah it may not be intended for players to pick up every shard they see which is why they are clickable, but let’s be real, players are going to pick them all up. ARPG players tend to be hoarders after all :P). The real weight is in the bases that the shards are used on and LP uniques, not the shards themselves (And going back to point 1, picking up the item to shatter feels like more weight than any of the individual shards on the ground, and all of those go directly to the menu as well).

3. Since shards are so common, the extra clicks needed can increase the rate RSI is developed, which is both bad for the players AND means less overall potential time actually playing the game for those players due to the pain (Yes I know there is AoE pickup, it isn’t that large so even for a relatively clustered set of drops you can still need multiple clicks to get your shards from the same pack).

4. Autopickup can still be triggered by proximity same as gold, so you can still see what you are getting before you pick it up, so it isn’t like it will give the illusion of less drops or anything either. I still have to see my Rune of Creation to go over to autopick it up, just like I would have to go left click it.

5. This is specifically only targeted at shards/runes/glyphs, since all 3 just become a number on a menu after hitting the transfer button. Keys, Idols, whatever other stuff there is would/should in theory not be changed to auto loot since they do actually make sense for being itemized currently. Drops that become a number on a menu though (gold, crafting mats), not so much though.

Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion, hopefully it all makes sense. If I missed anything glaringly obvious, please let me know!

3 Likes

1 Like

I sort of agree with your points, but the devs have been very adamant about this. Even just having the shards go directly to the materials tab seems to be out of the question.

I would add to the list of arguments the fact that you cannot filter for shards, they are just presented as a giant “pick me” mass of items.
Most of the times, the loot of shards is rather underwhelming.
Getting one more void resistance shard to add to my other 500 void resistance shards is kind of pointless.
If I could filter them, at least I could decide that a mass of shards are not worth the click.

1 Like

You mean you don’t get an over-exhilarating thrill when picking up a shard? I know I nearly piss myself with excitement, like a puppy when his owner comes home, every time I see a shard drop.

This was discussed recently and for the reasons linked above, we have no intentions of changing it at this time.

3 Likes

I just saw the link to the post you have about this. I do agree that it can be a slippery slope, but I am curious as to how auto-pickup prevents any of what you mentioned in that post? You still get the scrolling text for picking up shards so you don’t lose that information while still seeing that you got something from the mobs (as well as it still being visible until you would be in the theoretical pickup range, just like with gold piles).

Beyond that, at least from my limited experience it doesn’t seem like picking up the shards is having the intended effect of directing new players to crafting, since I have been seeing people consistently not understanding how to use the forge and shards since the shards being in their inventory instead of the correct inventory is confusing to people that aren’t reading instructions like you mentioned in that post. To me at least it feels like that intermediate step of needing to transfer materials before they are actually able to be used has caused a decent bit of confusion for newer players.

1 Like

Given the prior and existing discussion on the matter, I’m not interested in debating the benefits or drawbacks of autolooting shards.

That said, I think you’ve done yourself a disservice by creating a new thread.

By creating a new thread, you’ve split attention across multiple threads making it harder (not impossible, admittedly) for the devs to gauge the level of interest in the feature.

My recommendation is that you now search the forums for every thread created on the subject and respond there asking folks to come to this thread and pop a simple comment and vote on it.

This is, of course, by no means a guarantee that the changes will occur, but consolidating the feedback and upvoting a single thread is more likely to keep it visible and relevant to the EHG team (who evidently read the forums :))

Good luck!

I see what you mean, but I at least partially disagree. Yeah all of the same posts could be consolidated to make 1 big post about it, however there being multiple (not necessarily frequent) decent sized posts also shows that it is a decently major potential interest (Especially since forums are a medium where people are interacting at different times since it doesn’t require the same level of attention as a conversation for example). You definitely do have a valid point though for sure!

:slight_smile: good luck mate.

I personally don’t want the change, but I see where you are coming from.

I’ve had a hard no on a couple things I suggested on the Discord so I’m right there with you :slight_smile:

Thanks! Generally I tend to be against auto-pickup features as well, but like I talked about, when it comes to something that exclusively ends up being just an entry in a menu I think it should be the case (particularly with how frequent shard drops are, auto pickup for components in Grim Dawn feels amazing because of the frequency there too as another example)

So what if, we attack this from a different angle.

Let there be less affix shards dropping overall, especially the very very common ones.
(So overall you would more often find more rare ones)

And then increasing the amount of affix shards you get by using Rune of Shattering.
Anti-Propotional to an affixes rarity, Rune of Shattering is more likely to give the maximum amount of affix shards from a Shattered item. (The more common an affix is, the more likely it is to get the maximum amount of shards)

This might bring the thing more into an acceptable range for you, while still not being auto loot.

1 Like

The amount of shards that drop does not really matter that much.
Since there is vacuum loot, the number of clicks does not change, either you click the (slightly smaller) pile of shards that are on the ground, or you don’t.
Unless you are proposing to reduce the number of times there is a pile of shards on the ground in the first place.

Inversely proportional.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.