Would you mind changing the text explaining skill point respecs?

Bought the game yesterday, my first character is lvl 20, and I wanted to respec 3 skill points yesterday. I thought points I respecced would go back into the Unspent Points counter, but obviously they did not. At the same time, I had also unlocked a new skill upgrade slot, so I was confused into thinking the points I had unspecced had been moved to a new slot and were no longer available to apply to my previous skill. That was super confusing. I spent some time trying to figure out how to ‘move them back’ (if I could at all). I got straightened out by another player, but still, I think the wording could be improved to save others the same problem.

What I’d like to suggest is adding something like this to the respec window:

“Once removed these points will be lost. You will have the opportunity to level the skill back up as you play the game, but these points do NOT go back into the Unspent Point counter. Also, skill points are gained separately from character passive points, so you can continue to finish leveling your skills once you hit the character level cap.”

That last sentence is important because the first explanation I got didn’t separate the two. I thought they (passive points and skill points) were locked together, so I was afraid I would level the character to lvl 100 and only have 97 skill points because I’d respecced 3.

1 Like

I get that feel, I and a few others have complained about the system of de-leveling skills to respecialize at all is wholly unnecessary and easy to fix, but there’s also a faction of naysayers on the forum that pop up every now and then that want nothing to change because being unnecessarily inconvenienced is what some people want out of the game, but otherwise welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here, and I agree that at least the wording should make more clear where the levels and points are going.

I get that it’s frustrating to be confused and it’s tempting to want to blame that on the game, but I think this is seriously excessive. There’s nothing in the game to suggest that Skill Points and character Passive Points are “locked together” - that is an idea you came up with on your own and I genuinely don’t know where from. On the other hand, the game also cues you in numerous ways that those two systems are separate from each other - such as by putting them in entirely separate windows, unlocking them at different points in play, and naming them different things.

Players getting confused can be a problem that needs to be solved by design, but not when the confusion was derived from an idea that the player pulled out of the blue.

This is not an idea I “came up with on my own”. What I was thinking was based off multiple decades of playing RPG games. You have no business disregarding my input. If you don’t agree with what I posted, don’t upvote it, simple as that.

Yes, it is. Perhaps you’ve played other RPGs that lock skill and passive points together, but the fact remains - nothing indicates or even implies that that is how it works in Last Epoch. You came to a conclusion that had no basis.

This is an open forum, friend. If you’re unable to gracefully and maturely receive criticism of your suggestions and the basis thereof, perhaps an open forum is not the right place for you to express them.

I get it. You had an experience that made you feel very dumb, and that is an unpleasant feeling. It happens to all of us. But blaming and taking your frustration out on others is not an appropriate way to handle it.

actually there is, as it happens skills can level up to 20 (normally, a new player wouldn’t have any knowledge of the shards that boost the skill levels by 1) and as it happens you can also level up 5 skills, each skill having 20 levels, which combine to 100, which is also the level cap of the game. so there is a reasonable inference to be made.

The train of thought you outlined is about as reasonable as this.

1 Like

i’ve never even heard of this, but now i must spend a great deal of time investigating.

It’s a bit vulgar but it’s great fun.

This is an open forum, friend. If you’re unable to gracefully and maturely receive criticism of your suggestions and the basis thereof, perhaps an open forum is not the right place for you to express them.

I get it. You had an experience that made you feel very dumb, and that is an unpleasant feeling. It happens to all of us. But blaming and taking your frustration out on others is not an appropriate way to handle it.

Actually, no, I have absolutely no confusion about this. YOU are the one replying in a way to imply that I have been dumb. That is why I am responding to you the way I am. Because you are replying to me in a manner that is completely uncalled for. Don’t get it twisted.

…and we’re back on topic.

One thing we’ve learned is that the vast majority of people won’t read a warning message. Those that do will rarely read it all and will most of the time will skim it. This gets worse and worse the longer the message is.

What you’ve proposed is essentially already written there. Some details about level cap are missing but how the respec system works is there already.

One thing we are planning to do is a more in your face game guide.

One thing I really love about civ6 is that you can right click on almost any UI icon and it will open the civilopedia (guide) entry for that thing. While I don’t want to do that exactly, adding buttons in the popups to quick link to the game guide for more info would help get more detailed information in front of people more quickly and easily when looking for it. I see frequently that people don’t even know we have aaln in game guide.

6 Likes

Amen (10chars)

Oh yes, that would be a very good idea!
The link to the guide is one of the very first we have in front of our eyes (by pressing Esc) but we don’t see it.

People in ARPGs don’t read. I couldn’t count how many complete the campaign thre times then say “I don’t know what it is about, I just skipped the dialogues and I followed the arrows”. So if they don’t read what the game is about, imagine if they’re going to read anything else…

Could you have a pronunciation guide as well, I feel that certain streamers/content creators could do with the hand. Ideally in Queen’s English.

2 Likes

Nah fan, Latin or bust. Gotta revive that language somehow.

1 Like

Well, no, the part about not being able to reassign those points to another skill is missing. That is very common in many other games. If I unspec a point I’ve earned I can move it to another role. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where I then lost that point and had to re-earn it. I don’t personally think that needs a whole in-game guide explanation, one additional sentence would do it.

People don’t read.

Of course, that’s only a segment of the population. Another segment does. I did, and still didn’t understand. So I made the suggestion. But I made it for the people who do read. There is no suggestion on Earth any of us could make that would matter to people who don’t read at all. Bringing them into the conversation is just a distraction.

https://i.imgur.com/SOQuIII.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ty5gMdz.png

3 Likes

Neither of these say what I am asking for.

Saying “birds fly” and “fish swim” is not the same thing as saying “fish do not fly”. You are replying, “Fish will fly if you throw them.”

I am not arguing that fish do not fly. I am arguing that neither A nor B tell you the same information that C does, nor can you infer C from A or B using only the knowledge given within A or B, and you giving D isn’t the same either. This is some of the most basic, simplest logic you learn in first semester logic courses.

All I’m suggesting is one sentence.

I’m done with this. I’ve made my point. If you still don’t get it there’s no sense in me wasting any more of my time on this. Have a good day.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.