Why Storm totem is so weak?

I dont play much but why thorn totem can have 9 totems and storm totem only 1? And so weak? Even now that we can use stormbolt instead of regular damage, it is still bad. I really would love to play a Shaman storm totem build just like Grim Dawn. Hella fun and strong.

2 Likes

Storm totem never had a good time. (At least since I play this game for 2 year.)
Btw, SHAMAN never gets you price. I refuse to transform into something else to get a playable totens. Only because transformed in something else thorn totens been so much powerful.

In theory, storm totem should have so much damage than other totens. That why when can only have one. But, in particle that not what happens.
Normally when you insist Iā€™m storm totem, you made the classical build taking all the damage nodes and critical. But even you put all you points in damage storm totens donā€™t be effective after 100 corruption.

I donā€™t played this league with totens and I donā€™t know how it is now.

Btw 2: shaman should have revised urgently, you donā€™t have a single survivability node on him. You have to take nodes from other classes.

Try to combine Storm Totem with Coral Aegis shield (because of Fulgurite Core node on Storm Totem), also you need Ferebor set. You could check this build for the idea https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/BZk177jo

1 Like

I loved Storm Totem as a auxiliary skill in my ā€œPBAoEā€ Shaman build with the old Tempest Strike

Currently storm totem is acutally one of the more busted builds.

Convert the totem to use storm bolts, and the storm bolts get to double dip on the storm totem tree, and the Gather storm tree. I was able to clear abberoth with it just fine. Does over 1m per hit on the dummy with room to get tons more damage if I minmaxed the character.

Sorry for the lack of confidence but i never saw a single video of Storm Totem with that damage. I will only i believe this with video of a online character.

Do you have a build link please?

The clear isnt fantastic, but its not too bad either. but it shreds bosses. (I have tried normal storm totem vs the storm bolt one on clear and it feels about the same or worse to me, guess there is no solving clear speed on single minion builds lol)

https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/BZkMl0Xo This is my character, there is a few tweaks id make if I had perfect gear, but this is the core. Easy crit with ferebors set and easy flat damage with coral aegis. I am extremely overkilled on minion life, I didnt wanna hit it on my coral aegis lol.

The way you play is plop down 5 thorn totems, cast storm totem. if boss or tough enemy place dont a few upheaval totems inside/ontop of your storm totem. They massively ramp the damage. We spec gathering storm for storm bolt damage, and can have unspecced leap on bar, and we use warcry for some healing/haste/iframes/pull. I think there is an angle to use it for crit and drop more crit on gear, but I liked to be able to save mine for iframing boss mechanics.

The relic is the ā€œoffensiveā€ choice, I really wanted vessel of strife, but being CoF, I burned 30 keys, died 3 of the 30, didnt get it on the other 27, and lost like 15 keys to the stupid dungeon issues that are on going, so I shelved the character before I managed to get it. But it would in theory massively improve ehp.

2 Likes

iā€™ll try to reproduce that. But i still dont like to have to put 5 totems to cast 1 totem then 3+ totems to buff storm totem lol. But at least looks like it has some damage.

For clear you dont even need to place the upheavals. Hell if you are really lazy and in 200c~ you can just plop down the storm totem and keep going.

The reason storm totem is so strong though is because it gets all the multipliers from extra thorn totems and upheaval buffs. you could probably play a just ā€œplop down totemsā€ build, but it would cap out really early from lack of multiplier stacking.

The new patch fixed the tempest weapon node. I just tested with my own shaman build. The dps of storm totem with lightning bolts is pretty decent right now with warcry totem, thorn totems and upheaval totems. Currently my build uses these four totems and the AOE is quite promissing. I think you just need to find a way to survive through high corruption monolith.