Who's idea was it to add Spire monsters?

Devs: “Let’s add spires to monoliths - they offscreen the players until found. But… uh… we’ll put a marker on the map so they know where they are, that’ll be fine.”
Players: “Most hated monos? Spires.”
Devs: “Hey, lets make a monster just like Spires because, you know, we don’t have enough monsters which offscreen players… other than the current 50 or so.”

Seriously, EHG.

1 Like

They changed it so that spires don’t shoot when you are being idle. But they forgot about the Void Spires that shoot those little void worms, which will attack you, which means the Void Spires will continue to fire etc. It’s both hilarious and frustrating.

That’s always been the case.

I like monos that tell me where the objective is. Saves time.

2 Likes

Nope. I can confirm that was a change a few versions/patches back. Initially, Spires just kept shooting at you.

That is not true, they did change that quite recently with Patch 0.8.4

I’m sure that was something they changed before release.

Are you talking the new poison plants here? From Chapter 1

Are you really complaining about turrets that mark their target and take a full two seconds to hit that target? If two seconds isn’t enough time for you to move, you need to play a different genre of game, because that is extremely forgiving for this one.

1 Like

All offscreen attacks should be fixed (by fixed, I mean removed). It’s a dumb mechanic, and the only “tell” you’re under attack is frequently buried under other graphics effects.

I agree with this. I find the ‘roaming ones’ especially in large maps that most irritating.

Most of them have a full two seconds. The Forge ones though have very little indicate/land time. It’s like the very second that glow starts underneath you have almost no time to react to them and WAM FORGE SMASH. lol.

i was waiting for this topic but sadly it’s less comedy gold then I anticipated and now I’m sad. If you look closely at the telegraphs on the floor you’ll find out those plants aiming is as worse as mine and 9 out of 10 casts miss your toon even if you stand in place and do nothing but fighting.

4 Likes

Yeah, I actually love the new plant things. I commented on it in another post. Plus their damage pools don’t seem to be overwhelmingly strong. They’re like Invasion of the Body Snatchers Pod People.

The worst for me currently are:
#1) Flame Spire
Reason: Initial bust hit does NOT have a 2 second warning. It’s less than that. And at high CORR the initial burst can and will OS you.
#2) Poison Spire
Reason: Almost no warning; warning easily gets shoved under other effects or terrain. IF you fail to see the poison splash, the first TICK can and will OS you at high CORR.
#3) Void Spire
Reason: As stated above – It will still attack you even if you are not in combat or moving because of the crawlers, so there’s no way to “pause” the map.

Overall, Off-Screen attacks from the spires… well… I’m not a huge fan and will typically just exit a Flame or Poison objective at high CORR unless I really don’t care about losing the bonus.

Suggested Solution(s):
– These can be varied pretty drastically without too much trouble. You can have them attack in lines (like a laser beam) or in other shapes (Hail of arrows falling rectangle is a good example).
– Falling at more of an angle relative between the character and the location of the spire would also indicate direction of spire and look a hell of a lot better (kind of like how real world artillery works)
– Highlighting areas on the ground needs to be MUCH better – Flashing white like the bird’s moderate sized holy attack – you need to use a contrasting color palette to the map it’s on so it doesn’t just blend in – so light and dark colors together with flashing GTFO text should work nicely. XD

Do an empowered mono with them, embermages, diamond matrons, siege golems, and osprix lightmages and then get back to me how its fine to add another monster which offscreens you because its telegraph is easy to see…

I have two words for you for a map like that…
TOWN PORTAL.

Town Portals are for quitters! :slight_smile:

Dem’s fightin’ werdz.

Been there done that. I still wait for EHGs balancing attempt to make the game ready to “launch later this year” because I still wait for actual comedy gold.

1 Like