Who wants a T7 reduced dmg from crits exalt? - no one, yet!

To the devs I wanted to give a suggestion that I really hopefully makes it into the game, there is an affix that you guys put in the game that at T5 max roll has the same benefit as if you find a t6 or t7 exalted of the same item. I wanted to bring up the idea of having this changed to make the affix more interesting. Exalted items are supposed to be the most desirable endgame chase items and that could take a well geared character endgame to another level if they can hunt for and loot these pieces and craft on them.

I’m referencing specifically the damage taken from critical strikes suffix that can roll on 2H melee weapons. This suffix has a roll range of 26% min on tier 1 to 50% t5, and t5 rolls between 43% - 50% damaged reduced from crits which is incredibly powerful and is awesome that this is in the game. It is a way to reward more risky melee builds that go 2H instead of a shield, and more importantly is powerful because it saves you up to 3 suffix slots for crit avoidance on your gear/blessings.

However as it is right now the T6 and the T7 rolls are only exactly 50% damaged reduced from crits as well, meaning the exalted versions of these items are hardly better than what you can craft yourself, aside from the fact the max roll 50% is very hard to get on your T5, compared to instantly getting it if you found a T6, the idea that there is no benefit from a T6 to a T7 exalted on the one of the coolest affixes in the game feels incredibly lacking and an opportunity to create a more intriguing incentive for players with their melee builds.

My suggestion is to allow (of course a very small amount due to balance concerns) a further reduction in damage taken from critical strikes on the T6 and T7 levels to reward players who find these super powerful items. I’m thinking something like T6 rolls 50-53% dmg reduced and T7 rolls 55-58% reduced damage from crits. This would in essence allow from T6-T7, 51% - 58% reduced dmg or (2x.42-.49) 84-98% dmg taken from crits.

The benefit being one, that it actually rewards players who find exalteds of these items rather than right now if you find a T7 reduced dmg on crits on a good weapon base it would be hard not to be like- wait what?! Secondly, because this creates a whole new meta/thinking around fighting high crit enemies in the endgame.

If you take say only 90% total dmg from them if theyre constantly critting you, like say raptors with crit chance mods on the echo and the monster themself, you actually have an endgame weapon that provides an incentive for fighting more dangerous monsters and taking the “difficult monolith modifiers” and overcoming them with powerful and worth the effort to find gear. Right now in the mono there are modifiers that some builds dont have to deal with at all and that makes them not think about it (or engage in the micro decisions of picking echo modifiers on a timeline, which was your design intention in the first place) like crit avoidance or dodge chance when going a dot build, and chance to crit for enemies is not a concern anymore after you get 100% crit avoidance.

But, what if you knew ahead of time you had extra dmg reduction against high crit enemies because you had a powerful exalted 2H weapon so now you actually seek out those nodes on the timeline because you get another 10% dmg reduction against them. This could create an extra layer of depth/decision making for endgame melee gameplay - and just straight awesomeness to finding these items.
So sincerely, this should be in the game because it makes sense and its really cool.
Thanks! Ablazen

1 Like

Hey there,

Welcome to the LE Community.

I already made a similar suggestion a while back:

That seems like the sort of thing that was just a typo when it was being put in. I’ll take a peek today.

Isn’t it different depending on the mobs crit strike multiplier? I don’t know the formula, but CSA seems to always be better when considering higher crit multiplier. Maybe I’m wrong, but I would be interested in knowing.

That’s always x2. There are (currently) no modifiers that increase it.

Yeah as Llama said, currently all enemies have 200% Crit Multi.

If there are no mobs, bosses or mechanics implemented, that increase the enemies Crit Multi, a perfect rolled “less damage taken from critical strikes” is equivalent to 100% CSA in terms of incoming damage, with the “benefit” of still being able to be crit. (Which currently only matters for exactly one single unique, as far as i can think of)

Playing 2H already is kinda medicore atm, and the +X to all attributes and less damage taken from critical strieks are the only outstanding affixes on 2H weapons, so i hope they keep this and maybe even give us a slightly better exalted affix from this affix, the thread is about.

IMO, the “less damage taken from crits” stat is a superior version of crit avoidance, because if you’re not “capped” on less damage taken, you won’t get hit with massive spikes if you “fail” a roll. Whereas if you have 98% crit avoidance there’s still a 2% chance that you can be crit for double damage. You’ll end up taking the same amount of damage overall, it’s just spikier if you’re not crit avoidance capped compared to not being less damage taken “capped” (being at 49% less damage taken you’d take 2% more damage from a crit, which you wouldn’t notice, compared to a 2% chance of taking double damage, which you would notice).

2 Likes

Hey all, has anyone actually gotten one of these items as exalted yet? It shouldn’t be possible. Some affixes shouldn’t roll as exalted.

It looks like we’ve found a bug that would allow affixes that shouldn’t be exalted drop from the guaranteed exalted items as a monolith reward. It will be fixed for next patch.

@Llama8 @Heavy for visibility

2 Likes

No, i knew it can’t even drop.

Never gotten one from the guaranteed rewards either.

But good to know you found something that is not intended.

Now the question is: Any chance you might enable T6 and T7 versions of the “less damage taken from critical strikes” in the future?

I think that’s one of the exalted affixes that i personally would be super excited for.

Not likely, if we did, t7 would go up to 50% and we would drop the rest accordingly.

Oh really? Bummer

Do you really think that 51-58% would be a balancing concern?

Yes, then you would take less damage from crits than regular hits and critical strike avoidance would actually be a negative stat to have.

Yes i know, but isn’t this interesting?

Don’t get me wrong i do understand how powerful this is.

But you could build around this with your MoF modifiers and possibly even uniques/sets in the future?

It is interesting but just having the potential for a stat to become a downside like that is a bit of a non-starter.

Exalted chance to blind on hit is also not very exciting on 2h weapon. >100% chance to apply ailment that can only have one instance.
Image from Gyazo

2 Likes

Ok anyway, i do understand it.

Maybe we coudl see something like this on a unique or set? I just like the idea of weird stuff like this.

Thank you for your time Mike, as always!
Really appreciate it.

Why would you have crit avoidance and less damage taken?

Yeah agreed, also the 3 stack ailments are kinda unexciting to get in exalted.

Maybe exalted non-damaging-ailment affixes could get some seconday “increased effect of [corresponding ailment]”?

1 Like

It’s been a bit since I played, but I thought for sure there were some MoF mods that increased the amount of damage you took from critical hits. I don’t remember the wording on it. It doesn’t have to be specifically the crit strike multiplier by name, I was just talking about the effect. Was this removed with the recent MoF rework?

maybe my math is off but I 've always thought that 200% crit multiplier for monsters is equal to x3 multiplier . 100% being x2. So for example if a monster deals 1000 dmg with crit it will turn into 3000 (200% crit multi). Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to me as if 200% is x2 multiplier then 100% is same as non-crit? In diablo 3 if I have 1000 dmg and then get an item that gives me 100% more damage that would mean it doubles my damage.