when is penetration calculated ?

example
bleed 53dmg/s with 100% dmg over time increase = 106dmg/s
now getting 100% physical pen
is it
53dmg/s + 100% increase + 100% pen = 3 x 53dmg/s = 159dmg/s
or
53dmg/s # 100% increase = 106dmg/s + 100% pen = 212dmg/s

Penetration reduces resistances, so it’s a bit more complicated than that but it’s essentially a more multiplier applied after all damage modifiers.

In your example 53 base damage with 100% increase is 106 damage. If the mob has 0 resistance then 100% penetration makes it 212 damage. If the mob has let’s say 20% resistance then it would take 85 damage without penetration (106 * (1 - 0.2)) and 191 damage with 100% penetration (106 * (1 - 0.2 + 1))

1 Like

for me was important to know if it is calculated after dmg increases because it makes pen much more valuable

Most of the cases pen on amulet is more valuable than anything else. If you have let’s say 500% increased damage then an additional 100% increased damage is roughly the same as 17% pen.

It’s especially true for damage over time because armor shred doesn’t work against DoTs and DoTs cannot crit, so pen is the most effective multiplier for DoTs.

2 Likes

Due to the commutation principle, the order doesn’t matter. 10% more is always 10% more regardless of where that modifier is applied in the process.

you didn’t read his example and you assume he did the calculation correctly based upon you knowing the pen is multiplicative to total damage.

i.e. you know that total damage is kind of like;

totalDamage = [(base + baseIncrease) + (base + baseIncrease)*increasedPercentage] * damageMulti * pen

but he was writing

totalDamage = base + base X increasedPercentage + base X pen (removed the * because it does weird formatting)

Why am I writing this here? Because I want to know if I’m wrong.

Ignoring shred & the resist cap 'cause it’ll make the formula unnecessarily complex for forum text…

Total damage = (base + (flat added damage x added damage effectiveness)) x (total % increased) x (more 1) x (more 2) x (more 3, etc)) x (1 - (target’s resistances - penetration))

If the target has 0% resist & the aggressor has 100% penetration, then that last term turns into (1 - (0 - 1)) = 2, so you’d double the damage compared to if both were 0. If the target had 25% resist & the penetration was still 100%, the last term would be (1 - (0.25 - 1) = 1.75 for a 75% more multiplier compared to if the resists & penetration were both 0.

[(base + baseIncrease) + (base + baseIncrease)*increasedPercentage]
Is wrong since the % increased affects the base as well as any flat added damage & the flat added damage is affected by the added damage effectiveness while the base damage isn’t. Unless that’s what you meant but didn’t write it well (BIDMAS, just in case).

2 Likes

guilty!

shred doesn’t really make it that much worse, I typically put that last one as x (Resistances, modified by Shred and Penetration)

Basically fwiw (to the OP, I know you know) the difference between Shred and Pen is this:
Shred - Applies Before resistances are capped, so “excess” resistance above 75% protects against Shred; if you have 100 resistance and are suffering from 4 stacks of Shred you still count as having 75% resists, same as if you had no stacks of shred. Also, it’s capped at 10 stacks and is -5% per stack, -2% per stack vs bosses. Applied to enemies.
Penetration - Applies After resistances are capped, so having “excess” resistance above 75% does nothing. No limits on how much you can have and as far as I’m aware equally effective vs regular enemies and bosses alike.

Offensively, none of this nuance matters typically; unless they specifically state they have high resist you can assume enemies have 0 resist, take the total shred and add your pen to it, and have a multiplier of (1 + (sum of resistance shred and penetration / 100)) which is applied to your damage. Defensively, there’s no benefit to having resistances above 75 other than to protect against shred, and it will never be beneficial to have over 125 even if against enemies which apply shred due to the stack cap, unless of course you have some unique armor or effect which is based on uncapped resistance amount.