What Unique would YOU design?

I have many in mind but EHG wouldnt like them as I would want a few of them pretty strong and most of my ideas are usually buffing a skill in particular

• Unique for Mage using Teleport skill, a unique that when you teleport mage clones will cast all your spells on your hotbar doing same damage as you

• Serpent Strike unique that allows the attack to chain 3-5 times to other enemies to give it clear

• Necro unique - You are permanently affected by Dread Shade or Your presence inspires Dreadshade in all minions at 50% effect permanently (no casting this skill ever but you get the benefits)

• A unique helmet you can wear from level 1 that gives +10 to all skills while equipped and stops working at level 68-75 depending, basically this games version of a Tabula. The aim of it is a twink item to carry a new char through story to monoliths but gets weaker/stops working and also cannot exceed 20 in a skill

2 Likes

A leveling unique like Tabula is such a cool idea, especially since it’ll help those who don’t like the campaign get through it.

Perhaps a more balance description than “disables after lvl 68” would be it gives 10 levels to all skills, but you can’t have anything more than 10 levels?

I would like the following things in Uniques (dont have to be on the same Unique obviously)…

• Scaling with level (like Frozen Ire & Hammer of Lorent - but capable of endgame rather than just levelling alts) or something where the Unique gets boosted by its use/kills - i.e. the more you actually wield it, it mutates or the stronger it gets (this concept has been in a few roleplaying games in the past so its not new). Scaling by an attribute is good, but tends to plateau in LE too quickly for me.

• Enabling way out changes to damage types / skills… LIke a bow that converts all Rogue damage to void or a Sorceror becomes corrupted and everything becomes necrotic… Or a spear that converts Puncture into a long distance stabbing movement skill with reduction in damage for nearby attacks… or a mace that lets you fly (and ignores ground based DoT effects). Or an amulet that blinks you around the battleground randomly like a super dodge but only for Sentinels… Or a ring that sacrifices all mana for a Mage to have up to 75% resistances to everything. Some of these are too tame or stupid examples, but something that enables an alternative meta for a traditional class - i.e. it throws the typical class design on its head - breaks the rules is what I would like to see… I believe LE has items that just begin to scratch the surface of this concept… I would have it go further and be more way out there… sure it would be niche, but out of the box ideas are always more fun to me.

If I had to design a unique right now… I’d want a non-class specific one-handed mace that increased in power on XP earned while wielding it, and added 1 to 3 skill points to whatever your left mouse button skill is and mutated (maybe a once off forge) into whatever elemental damage type this primary skill tag was - i.e. if you use it on a fire mage, it you get a once off option to mutate its damage to be fire permanently or even to bleed if you used it on a Rogue bleed flurry…

Spitballing here…

EDIT: another idea - I would like to see more things like “cursed” items - like Suloron’s Steps massive negative physical resistance… something that makes it REALLY detrimental to use, but the upside is a boost that would be effectively impossible to get without the “curse” - I would even extend this to NEGATIVE skill affixes - i.e. you get -3 to a Skill but +3 to another…

1 Like

Omigosh those ideas are fantastic and better than I could come up with :open_mouth: Really love the scalable unique idea!!! :heart_eyes: Would you want this to scale to a cap? Sounds like something that’d either be impossible to balance or be rarer than a 4LP Ravenous Void.

:slight_smile: Always loved scalable weapons… cannot remember where I first saw weapons like this but I have this idea that it was as far back as Baldurs gate or maybe Planescape Torment (definitely remember something like this in torment)

A cap would probably be advisable or simply be on an exponential “upgrade” curve that would essentially serve the same purpose (you would know better than me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) … The key for me is that you get rewarded for sticking with an item & using it - in the same way that skills get better the more XP you earn… would probably also need to tick its minimum level requirement as it gets stronger too… else it would become OP for levelling alts…

1 Like

Easy peasy: it resets if you put it in stash.
Problem sorted.

(You can unequip it and keep it in your own inventory so you can try other weapons, but you can’t pass it on to alts with all its power)

3 Likes

There we have a few options:

• unique items that changes something that players will want to take at any cost and the “cost” is even most important here. Let’s say for example: we get +1 to skill “X” but lose “V” skill or tree / passive / node.

• unique items for any (especially leveling) class with +1 to skills (something like Tabula but more variations) and many random affixes that have also min-max roll. I can make many examples here:
    +1 to skills, +1-3 to random skill , +10-50 max life, +5-15% more experience
    +1-4 to specyfic class skill, +1-10% increased damage taken (so it can be still a good item if we drop nice (perfect) roll here and it’s good (but also HARD) to hunt for this item especially for incoming multiplayer trade system)

• the items that give possibility to make one class more hybryd-class (even more then we can do it right now). For example the Rgue class can transform into a Lich or Sorcerer transformed into a Werebear. Those are the most cool abilities I’ve experienced in an ARPG and should be the most powerfull but also the most hard to GET abilities.

In my personal experience LE has already many many super items that I don’t use just because they have no min-max roll instead they are flat values that cannot be changed in any way. I would rather love some update that fixes some items rather then adding new items.

1 Like

I had an idea before Ardent Creator went into retirement, I threw a jab at Mike 2 dev streams ago in remembrance for the idea. It converted Hammer Throw into lightning damage and shock into a lightning DoT.

Obviously Electrify became a thing after that so that functionality is already in play, but Hammer Throw is still a little… Bland in it’s options. I have a monkey’s paw feeling on the idea now because it seems a lot of skills that I had looked forward to, Javelin and Upheaval, are pretty hefty in their mana costs which isn’t friendly to DoTs. So I’d rather just have Hammer Throw be low cost.

However, my new idea is bringing something back that is dear to my heart. I pulled Spellblade back out of the garage make use of all the frostbite support we’ve gotten lately and use and abuse the abundance of Freeze Rate Multiplier with Snowdrift.

A Unique Body Armor, base type Elder Raiment that’s more defensive in nature ala Faith of the Frozen. But when you freeze and enemy you receive… Ice Ward for 4 seconds. This version of Ice Ward could be a weaker version with some stats from the block nodes or the ward nodes, just to give some more defense for the old bloke. I just get mad that Wengari Shamans still get to cast Ice Ward and I don’t. :frowning:

1 Like

A 2 Handed phys dmg and crit heavy 2handed axe with less dmg from criticals. With each crit you do you get a stack of bleed on yourself that reset at xy stacks and transfer them to the last enemy hit. Pretty please a high base 2handed axe.

1 Like

IMO that would be very OP by design.

Black Hole is already a very strong skill, it does a very good dot damage and all that utility stuff.

But the fun thing that somehow not many people know is its Meteor node, which periodically spams meteors – not benefitting from Meteor tree, but scaling with BH nodes.

I played it while leveling my sorc, and when properly nodded this thing does 600-800k damage per meteor, while wearing THE SHITTIEST lvl-gear.

Should be around 2M per meteor with solid gear and optimised blessings.

If this was 0s CD it would be broken IMO.

Personally I’d prefer something Glacier-related. May be converting it to fire and making it ranged by default, something like that.

2 Likes

For me probably a belt with…

• Physical converted to cold-
  • You’r Physical damage can freeze-
  • X% to freeze rate multi-
1 Like

Maybe. I am not interested in the meteor stuff though. If I wanted meteor, I would spec meteor. I want black hole to be usable solo.

Having the meteor nodes make it sound like it has to be specced that way and it completely ruins the skill for any other spec because it can never be buffed because of the meteor nodes.

1 Like

“Flawless Dance”
I would make a dancing strike dagger that gave a really strong effect every 4 or 8 hits with it, possibly requiring you to not be hit depending on the effect, I really like the idea of gaining silver shrouds specifically, as if you enter into a perfect attack pattern and then get coated in a special defensive layer.

Every 4 hits it could proc an effect like gain a few dusk shrouds, then upon the 8th hit gain 1 or more silver shroud, or double the perfection rogue passives effect
Also would be cool like 2-5% more dmg per shroud you currently have active, maybe
if you have silver shroud then gain 30% more global dmg etc

Maybe an effect of something like gain 12.5% glancing blow per use of dancing strikes, and you have exactly 80% dodge then decreases by exactly 10% per use of dancing strikes, not sure if it would work in practice but in theory you would keep dodging until you guarantee to take reduced dmg from a next big hit, or something like that

Would want increasing cooldown reduction for dancing strikes every use, and hit, up to say 15% extra cdr with it, and maybe 10% cdr for shift like smokeweaver has, on an obsidian dagger

It wouldnt be too hard for me to push myself to make this dagger if they let me spend 1000$ on it, uhhh lol

1 Like

It was just a quick bandaid to stop it being auto best in slot for every build, since Tabula works a lot different but people want to get rid of it when they can. any amulet giving +10 skills would be insane item and just broken but leveling starting with +10 would be fun

You just balance it with damage loss, if an item has a 6 second cooldown logically 100/6 = 16.6 so removing 83% damage actually puts it even but now spammable, mana cost aside

2 Likes

Omigosh I’ve been playing a lot of Dancing Strikes and a unique like this would be amazing! What a great idea :3

I can’t deny, that would be HELLA FUN to play with. But IMO it would be kinda broken even with 90% damage nerf, if you were able to spam it.

We have an armour turning our werebear form into a polar bear… Today, I bring you:
The Sloth Bear Boots!

These amazing boots can:
Change your bear form into a Sloth Bear.
Reduce move speed by 70% and attack speed by 20%.
Give stun immunity (Sloths are slow but unstoppable).
Add 5% damage per % of attack speed lost.
Add 0.5% damage reduction per % of move speed lost.
Replace “Rampage” by “Bearrier”, a skill that makes you stand in place for 4 seconds, reduces incoming damage by 80% during that time, and casts Thorn Barrier (boosted by Ice Thorn tree), when it expires.

The numbers might be completely off, but you get the idea…
And yes, EHG, I realise it would mean a lot of new animations… Now stop complaining and get drawing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Like this kind of thing…

Dancing Strikes is sort of a love / hate kinda skill for me… I want to use it because I like the theme but then it frustrates me when I do…

I would also be keen on a Dancing Strike boost where you sacrifice shrouds to to MASSIVE damage - e.g. like other classes where damage is based on sacrificing ignites/bleeds for increased damage… THe idea of sacrificing defence stacks for a moment of Nuke level damage appeals to me - Offence is the best Defence baby… but it would have to be worth it… like 100% increased damage per shroud… and maybe the unique can give you some way of limiting/increasing the max number of shrouds expended… like 1 per 10 dex or something… Something tricky to design a build around but crazy good if you are willing to do it…

1 Like

I already detailed my ideal unique: Time Warper.

Another couple I thought of while playing a Fractured Crown Sorc:

• Endurance applies to the first part of you health (ie for 1k hp and 200 threshold it would work for only the first 200 and turn off after 800 hp and lower),

• You can only recover hp up to your endurance threshold

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.