The Last Epoch is over - Here’s the New Epoch!
Hey Dev Team,
Patch 0.8 really was/is a blast and sets a milestone in development of LE. It was hyped by you with teaser trailers and for the first time you gave a fix date for the patch release. Along with the new logo, the backend changes and revamp of the website LE got a new way more polished appearance. And you all did a great job! This is not only based on my opinion alone but the impression of feedback I saw all over the different info sources.
The most noticable changes is the dynamic and flow of the new rogue class:
- A ton of synergies
- Absolute interesting passive tree with unique mechanics
- Fast fluid playstyle
- Animation, effects, sound - top notch
The feedback all over the community is very positive.
The result is that the other classes feel a bit clunky now. There was a gap between “older” classes and “newer” ones already. This gap has become even bigger now.
And now everybody is expecting changes to the other classes to lift them to the Rogue level.
So here’s my question (finally):
- Is the current Rogue playstyle, especially the game pace, the new standard?
Imho Rogue should be the most mobile and fastest playing class in LE by theme. But on the other side, when you have experienced the rogue gameplay and go back to Sentinel or Primalist, it doesn’t feel good. These classes have movement skills, too, but somehow they feel “clunky” (not really bad, just in comparison). Is it the slower movement speed? Animations? Transition between different animations?
- So do you have plans and measures to make the other classes as smooth as Rogue?
- Is class identity and theme a good enough reason to keep the game pace of e.g. a Sentinel significantly slower that a Rogue?
- Will you add new synergies to existing skills?
- Will you add new cool passive mechanics similar to shrouds (e.g. bone prison buffs/synergies in the Acolyte tree)?
- Will you add new class specific idols and affixes? The Rogue has a ton of interesting class affixes and the idols are so impactful and interesting. The other classes could use some more diverse idols, too, imho.
I feel like with the rogue class everything that sounds cool on paper is possible and viable while with other classes this isn’t the case. There are a lot less drawbacks with the mechanics and so much support everywhere - this feels good!
- Will the Rogue get nerfed?
Because everything fits so well together, the Rogue feels easier to build. It’s not only the numbers of damage modifiers, but the huge amount of different sources of support for the chosen playstyle. There are already people complaining that it is “too easy” or even “boring” after a while - or let’s say the challenge is missing
- So are you going to tune the Rogues Powers down?
- Or are you satisfied with the current “strengh” of the Rogue and bring the others classes to a similar level?
And if you do plan to change a lot, how does this affect your development schedule? Have you expected to also heavily change other classes after the implementation of the Rogue? Or are you surprised by the feedback and demand for changes?
What are your plans with difficulty level?
Since the first introduction of the new monolith there have been significant difficulty changes. In general it has gotten a lot easier. The most significant impact was the resistance changes, imho. The powerful Rogue adds her part to this.
- Do you have plans to increase difficulty level of monolith - especially bossfights?
I know balance is an ongoing process. I’m just curious what your impression of feedback is so far. Months ago people were selling “the lower pace of gameplay” as a unique selling point of LE to one of the very popular competitors. I think this is happening because when LE was in early development many supporters joined because of the exact reason the game pace is slower. Now that more and more people join in this might change because these people are familiar with a faster game pace and prefer it over the slower pace. What is your impression about this?
Will LE stay as fast as it is right now with the Rogue? Will it get slower again?
This are a lot of questions and I know that there are things you don’t talk about when it’s not decided, yet. Maybe you can already provide some information or at least give a rough direction what your plans are.
I’d like to also involve my fellow community members here. What are your current impressions regarding these questions, especially
- Game pace in general (too fast? too slow?)
- Difficulty (story/endgame)
- Class feeling
I’m curious to get to know how people feel, now that we have experienced the resistance and balance changes as well as the class changes in the recent patches. How do the numerous new players feel?
Hope it wasn’t too tiring to get to this point