Ways to Buff Sentinel Tankiness?

Currently Sentinel is the squishiest class in the game when it comes to high corruption. Pair that with its abysmal single target for most of its good specs and you get something that dies quite often. What can be done to make the class that SEEMS to be the tankiest (Big knight wearing plate and shield) to actually come even close to things like lowlife ward stacking, or dodge stacking that others can do. Suggestions that Buff Sentinel would be ideal, not nerfing other classes.

I bring this up because I was disappointed the devs didnt address this in 1.0 and thought maybe people arent actually too aware of the issue in general

Many masteries still require balancing since they weren’t updated for some time and the new masteries all got shiny stuff. They will, eventually.

However, there are currently ways to make Sentinel really tanky, especially with rebuke, which is the best damage mitigation skill in the game.

The biggest problem sentinel has togheter with the Shaman Mastery is their old age. I said it a lot of times: LE is still a constuction site and some things are still work in progress. Then again for the sake of some kind of balance there should be no tankiest class and all masteries should have the option to become tanky.

1 Like

I agree with your first part, but I actually disagree with the second, personally. I can understand your point, but I’d rather have classes that have pros and cons, like having one that is really fast but kinda squishy, like rogue, one that is tanky and slow, which should be sentinel, one that is great at AoE but lacks single target, etc. I feel it adds more to the diversity of the classes.
If you can pick any class and can make it fill any archetype available, there isn’t as much incentive to play other classes. That doesn’t mean that you couldn’t make a build that falls outside the class strengths, but it should be the exception and not the norm.

This is just my personal preference, mostly because I like leveling characters and I like them feeling different, like in D2.

1 Like

I agree with all you said. For example I always asked myself why mages have access to such beefy armor when they are normaly considered to go on adventures in a bathrobe. Just to pick one of may examples.
Everything should have their pros and cons but tankyness should be something everyone can achive by their own means like armor stacking classes, dodge based classes or ward based classes or even some attempts to kill faster then be killed if it don’t get out of hand.

I think LE is a tad bit bad in this regeard because everything gets stuffed everywhere and almost everyone is playing some AoE clear build with maybe one skill added that is a few percent better in single target dmg. Sometimes it’s hard for me to distinguish classes and they feel already to homogenus and to dmg converting to be something very special in my eyes but that’s a question of taste.

1 Like

Yes, I do agree with you there as well.

3 Likes

Well if “The Big Lebowski” isn’t a magical experince to call out then there is no other ^^. Reminds me to look for my Bathrobe on the next Lebowski party to get free White Russians because I look a bit like him when I grow my hear and beard ^^.

1 Like

I think that unfortunately, this is just not true in LE. The roguelike classes are much tankier than block based classes with evasion, the lich necro runemaster and sorc all have insane ward generation making their EHP way higher overall. The sentinel does not have access to good ward (besides cleaver bleed) or dodge generation, making their only advantages (block and armor) things every other class can take advantage of as well (Rogue with Bastion of Honor for example)

1 Like

I’m hesitant to draw any conclusions until I get my hands on the release build. Forge Guards will have 40% elemental / 55% physical DOT reduction just with passives, the sentinel weavers relic and average rolled implicits on chest / gloves. Fairly low investment.

Add 15% on to those numbers any time you pop a potion and another 20% on to that if yo craft a perfect oracle necklace and your looking at 75% / 90% DOT reduction for a class that usually had 15-30% DOT reduction before 1.0. DOTs were its biggest weakness now it may be one of it’s greatest strengths.

Paladin’s, and by extension all other mastery’s got another brute force healing method in healing hands as well. Most builds will probably be getting at least 5 points in pally for the all resist if not more for their efficient health nodes and damage /penetration nodes. Healing hands being the first skill means most builds will have access to it.

Most defensive blessing saw buffs that seem small, but have led to an overall up shift in defensive stats. This has personally allowed my builds to gain even more health and armor than before.

Lastly there is the parry mechanic which is still up in the air. Will have to play around with it a bit to judge if it is good or bad. Any damage reduction that improves with getting hit by multiple targets should translate into more survivability for Monos though.

All that being said there are of course still rough patches. Hammer and anvil is a point tax for an overpowered node that shouldn’t be abused the way it is. Forge Guard still hasn’t gotten a coherent healing mechanic unlike Void Knight (Leech and health on kill) or paladin ( Flat healing / Regeneration). This means it still has to borrow from other masteries to sustain itself. The list goes on, but I think what we have will at least be functional. Looking forward to giving and reading feedback about the class as a whole in a few weeks time.

I actually went to a midnight showing of Lebowski, and so many people showed up just like that. I wished I had thought more about what movie I was going to see, instead of just wanting to see it on the big screen.

What would be “high corruption” for you? I have seen void-knights doing 600 corruption and paladins probably doing much more. (Nova Hammerdin and Judgement doing 800+ corruption pre-release).

Though, I would wish for the Voidknight to have a little bit more tankiness with less heavy investment.