Want to buy game question

I hate steam, don’t like having to open it to play games, and was wondering if I buy game on this website, does it require steam, and can I still qualify for multiplayer weekend pass? Seems like my kind of game
Thanks

I feel exactly the same as you, I intentionally purchase games from sources other than steam to avoid it being required / running in the background. I’ve been playing Last Epoch with the standalone client for years now. You can purchase it and play the standalone client on patch 0.8.5.

However, to play the multiplayer weekend and preview patch 0.9, Steam is currently required. You can launch the game with the direct Last Epoch executable in the steamapps/common folder, but Steam must be running in the background to successfully connect to the mp servers.

1 Like

Currently, patch 0.9 is planned to be exclusive to Steam and it’s unknown at this time if this will change in the future. The following are some quotes from Mike Weicker, a senior developer/designed at EHG, explaining this:

So yes, the upcoming patch will require Steam. The Open Multiplayer Beta that’s currently going on is exclusive to Steam as well. Though, you can purchase the game from either the website or from Steam and have access to both the stand-alone client and the Steam client. However, if you purchase from the website you’ll need to link your LE account to your Steam account so you can access the game on Steam if you wish to play patch 0.9. The following support article explains how to do this:

https://support.lastepoch.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260805145970-Steam-Account-Linking

1 Like

I do believe that in the longrun, this game will be taken over by Steam slowly.
Parts of this is because of quite simply some of it being costs and maintenance.

1 Like

I know a whole community like me who won’t install steam, that seems like good income to offer a non steam ver. I don’t mind buying the game. Game like that with multiplayer is what I’m looking for. I’m passionate about my hate for steam and in no way am knocking devs, will keep my eye open on this game as it looks fantastic, see if policy changes. Normally won’t even create account like this if no steam, but kinda hyped for this game. I love a Diablo like game with Druid, and hate grindy MMOs like WOW. This is a fit for me.

Then I guess the most recent news will not make you happy :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Nice but I want multiplayer, so no multiplayer so far from what I understand without steam. I know it seems petty, but my hate for steam is intense and refuse to install. I will keep eye out on this game, once multiplayer support and non steam ver, I’m sold.

Sadly, it’s not looking good for you.

1 Like

Good luck fella. Steam and other similar platforms (Epic, GoG, etc) offer huge benefits to devs, so I expect number of games that are completely standalone will reduce over time.

That said, you never know… we might get a GoG version one day. :slight_smile:

GoG would have to change several of their requirements and include several new functionality for us to consider it.

Expectations managed! Thanks Mike :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious what they are.

1 Like

What a sad news :frowning: . I hate steam too. I don’t know if I’ll buy this game then.it was the premiere of the year, or even several years, until today.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.