Voidwing Nest causes severe GPU performace issues

The voidwing nest enemy present from the shattered valley onwards in the campaign causes my computer to slowdown entirely. I get a frame loss in the actual game, and if I’m doing something on a second monitor like watching twitch or youtube the video freezes until I kill the enemy.

I’m running an RTX 2070 and 16 GB Ram, and otherwise the game runs perfectly fine (save for a few zones with a lot of background lightning/water effects). Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue or is this a known problem?

Hey there…

Please can you post your in-game settings - le_graphicsmanager.ini…

Havent specifically seen comments about voidwing nests causing an issue and nor have I noticed this myself (1060) so this is more likely the general performance issue… Your comment about the background/lightning etc effects tends to confirm this as a possible reason.

Assuming recent GPU drivers, OS Patches and no general hardware issues (thermals etc), FPS spikes in LE tend to be related to a lack of framerate limits & in-game settings (resolution/quality combinations)… i.e. chosing a more conservative setting can sometimes dramatically reduce the size of the fps spike. An appropriate fps limit can allow the GPU some headroom in busier moments to handle things and smooth out spikes… while an unlimited fps can let LE max out a GPU so that when a busy moment happens, it has nothing left so you get a spike…

Obviously higher resolutions and higher in-game settings compound this issue.

Yeah I can do that, do you have a file path that I could follow? I looked in the steamapps folder, AppData both Roaming and Local and didn’t see that particular file name.

should have provided a location for you:

on windows:
BootDrive:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games

you may have to enable Windows viewing of hidden files/folders to see it.

Totally found it using an explorer search. le_graphicsmanager.ini (492 Bytes)

Ok… At those settings on a 2070 you should not be getting fps spike of any note… those settings are what I run on my 1060 and I dont get the issues you are describing…

Any chance you can post your dxdiag output & the player.log…

Here’s the player log, not sure where to find the dxdiag file though. Player.log (42.5 KB)

Open and run DxDiag.exe

Got it DxDiag.txt (127.7 KB)

Ok…

Nothing obvious from the Dxdiag file…

• Your OS could use a patch to 19043 but its unlikely to be involved unless you still have one of those problem fps patches that microsoft released in April.

• You are using VB-Audio… Unlikely to be related to your performance but some other players with issues in LE have used it so I would recommend you make sure its updated to the latest versions - especially the virtual audio cable drivers… It looks like you are using drivers from 2014 - not sure what the latest are but as these are not WHQL approved you should check them.

• Your GPU driver is from 6/7/2021 so it should be ok… Just make sure you are not using 466.77 - that one had some weird issues with LE.

• Disable any third party apps while testing this issue with LE… i.e. simply dont run anything else… this includes graphical overlays (steam etc), streaming or anything else… just temporarily dont run anything to see if this has an impact on the issue for you… There are reports of other apps causing issues with the unity game engine - not usually performance related but its best to check…

• Make sure that any device hardware like mouse keyboard usb etc drivers are up to date - this includes the software for these devices - even motherboard bios and/or software…

• Your dxdiag diagnostic section (end of the file) only shows crashing with Fallout New Vegas - every other error is related to RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 which is an informational message from windows that reports that an app has not properly handled its memory management - usually when it closes. typically, in the absense of anything else, these errors are not critical and are either ignored or resolved by updating an app etc.

So, based on your system and its setup, I cannot really see anything that explains the performance issue you describe… I am using a lesser system and do not see the same issue…

The only thing I can suggest is to monitor your system components CPU, GPU etc… while playing with NOTHING else running (no streaming no recording no youtube /twitch - clean boot) and see what happens. If the problem is less or goes away, then add back one additional item at a time and see which makes the most impact… (remember to monitor while doing this).

So I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, uninstalled and reinstalled the game and closed out of everything and tried to recreate the issue. I was able to re-create it with these specific enemies without anything open, so I went ahead and launched OBS to record my screen so you can see. 2021-09-05 21-10-07

To note, this happens regardless if OBS is open, except I drop to about 40 frames instead of low 30s.

Also, I’ve never had the game itself crash due to this, just other applications I could have been running since Last Epoch probably has GPU priority of some kind.

Hmmm

Watched the video… Those graphic settings you are using are not the same as the le_graphicsmanager.ini file you have posted in this thread so some of my comments are not appropriate as it could be that one specific setting is involved or a combination…

The very low config is the most stable so its always best to leave it on that setting and test things very methodically…

Anyway…

Can you try some other ideas:

1. Change everything back to the very low & disabled settings - very important.

2. Change to Fullscreen… not windowed display. Test if it makes any difference.

3. Set Adaptive sync in the Nvidia driver to “Half” just for Last Epoch… Test if this makes any difference.

On Very Low Settings with everything disabled, with the same setup the frame drop remains. Toggling between fullscreen didn’t change anything either. Changed my Nvidia Control Panel settings for LastEpoch.exe to have Adaptive (half refresh rate), off, or on also didn’t seem to change anything.

Ok. The main thing here is to keep things the same and change only one thing at a time to try and find the problem… The issue here is that there would be LOTS of bug posts if everyone were having the same problem as you are with Voidwing Nests so the only way to figure this out is step by step. We need to confirm its a bug and/or something specific to your setup that is causing this…

For the devs to fix this, we have to find a way to replicate the issue and as I have said, on my system I notice no issue with voidwing nests and my system is using an older GPU & CPU and I am using the very low config…

• Have you done a game file verification?

• Have you tried running the game without ANY other applications running - no overlays, no streaming no keyboard mouse apps… Just LE (and Steam)…

• Does this issue only happen in The Shattered Valley?

• Does it happen on ANY map with voidwing nests?

• Does it happen with any other void mob?

• Does it happen on with ANY other mob?

• Does it happen with ANY player character or ONLY your spellblade from the video?

Managed to recreate the issue after I did a game file verification through steam. But I am closing out of everything but steam, and Last Epoch. I’ll open task manager once I see the in-game frame counter drop down (even disable logitech hub and applications like that.)

I’ve had this issue on every character in any map, and only with that specific mob (there’s a part where four of them guard one entrance which is especially noticeable.)

I haven’t been able to replicate the issue on any other mob in the game. If it’s not replicatable on your build that’s fine, it could be specifically my system and its something I’m entirely missing, and just as you said I would expect someone else to have this issue as well if it’s not.

Hmm…

I am running out of suggestions here…

As a last few things to try:

1. Roll back your GPU driver to something earlier in the year… something like the 471.11 game ready driver…

2. Disable sound in-game and test - this is just a WAY OUT idea because of the VB-Audio you are using - other people that are having problems with LE have used this…

Rolled my driver back to 471.11, issue still prevalent. Also muting sound through Windows 10 or the game did nothing either. I’m willing to bet a clean install on my computer would potentially fix the problem, but not willing to do that at this time for such a small issue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.