Void Cleave Restrictions must go

Big agree. Been saying it would do a lot for build variety since the skill came into the game, and with shadow beacon, and then with the traversal node, it’s even more obvious how much its hurting variety/creativity to have it limited. Devs have llamas same view though, it’s called void cleave, therefore it has to be for things that can cleave. It’s silly, fun should come before, well, whatever that is. It’s a video game lmao.

IMHO, Shield Rush’s usefulness is in world traversal, not mobbing. You can absolutely pretend you’re The Flash the entire game. Then, if you decide that it’s not as useful during endgame, respec out of it.

A reply several months later…

Never thought I’m gonna run into this problem. Got a 3LP-Beacon and leveled a character up to Lv51 just to realize Void Cleave only works with 2H Axe and 2H Sword, yeah because I didn’t stare at Void Cleave’s description hard enough. Kidding aside, I just didn’t bother really because I think I might have seen some old video of some build using it with Trident of the Last Abyss spear, so it didn’t cross my mind that the skill have these restrictions about weapons, though I might be wrong and misremembering stuff and I can’t find the video anymore.

Anyway, I agree with the OP with this and some replies here. If SHIELD rush can be used without a shield with a certain node, why can’t Void Cleave have this gimmick in a sense :stuck_out_tongue: But even that I feel pretty expensive trying to allocate 1 or more skill points just to reach that specific node if void cleave ever has one. EHG will probably lock it behind some 4-pointer node. It has some Forge-Guard related nodes too which primary theme weapon is a 2H mace so why not include 2H maces.

I really like the skill, but feels like a waste to have this restriction. That 3LP Beacon (which is already not-that-amazing weapon already… but fun) that I got feels really wasted too.

2 Likes

Personally I see no issue with having certain skills require certain weapon types. Any skill that “cleaves” should require a weapon with an edges. Something that stuns could require something that smashes. Things like this just make sense to me.

My only problem with LE and these requirements is that they do implement ways to get around some of them, which seems that they “should” in my opinion do the same with all of them. You can use Shield Rush without a shield as @user38 mentioned, you can also use Detonating Arrow without a bow (or quiver for arrows). These just remove the common sense of how weapons work for me.

As I said, if it’s going to be implemented to have an ability to take away the “common sense” way weapons work, then it should be even across the board.

Just my opinion and I know some will likely disagree, and that’s ok.

Pretty self-explanatory.

1 Like

I don’t wanna be that guy but:

1. SHIELD Rush = No-shield-requirement node
  2. Detonating ARROW = Jelkhor’s Blast Knife unique dagger
  3. FLAME Ward = Has lightning conversion
  4. FIRE Aura = Also has lightning conversion
  5. VOLCANIC Orb = has cold conversion
  6. ACID Flask = Has fire conversion
  7. LIGHTNING Blast = Has cold conversion
  8. Summon WOLF = Herald of the Scurry unique helm
  9. And many many more…

Not trying to argue here I promise :slight_smile:. I’m also aware that some of these conversion are from unique items which is fine IMO, it’s a “unique” item after all. But I feel like some of the issue here are coming from a naming sense. Maybe if Void Cleave is called “Crescent Moon”, Detonating Arrow to “Detonating Blast/Charge” and Shield Charge to just “Charge”, maybe these would’ve made more sense. But if we’re really gonna go with this naming thing then I don’t know. Why some skills remove the “common sense” in them via skill node (Like shield rush… You can’t shield rush without a shield, right? Since that’s just rush :stuck_out_tongue: ) or unique item but something like in Void Cleave sounds too controversial when like I said in my previous reply, I explained it has Forge Guard skill nodes in it that probably using mace mainly. Of course, I’m also not saying that “I should be able to use Hail of Arrows while I want to use a sword!”…uhh kinda hard to explain… And like @Travoas said, it should be even across the board, which I agree on too.

Anyway, I wasn’t ranting or mad. Though I admit it was my fault for not checking carefully before leveling a character to 51 like an idiot lol. Just bummed out and hoping the restriction will go away in the future. Peace!

3 Likes

Doesn’t Serpent Strike require a spear?

And all of Marksman skills require a bow except if you outfit yourself with a single unique for a very specific skill.

The element change of a skill I don’t think is comparative because to work you’d have to be asking if it could be Bleed Cleave or Lightning Cleave. Changing fire to lightning on volcanic orb changes the volcanic part, not the orb part. They could just name skills that can be altered with just the base but WARD doesn’t sound as interesting as FLAME ward.

I can see a unique being interesting. Like a one hand mace (those are underused anyway) that says when equipped you can use Void Cleave but then that doesn’t really help out your issue with finding that Void mace with 3 LP on it.

I also can see a node in Void Cleave (way on the outside like Shield Bash) could be added, that way you’d have to really want to invest in it not just something everyone takes by default because OP. Thus mostly keeping the idea of the theme as the default.

Personally, I’d really like it if more skills required an identifier. Still bugs the crap out of me that Hammer Throw doesn’t require a hammer. :rofl: But, with LE the weapon is mostly a stat stick anyway so that personal kvetch of mine is sort of moot (but on a side note: when games have weapons just be stat sticks, I wish they would allow their ‘transmog’ platform to change the weapon visually to anything you want.)

Yeah, Hammer Throw is a weird one, I usually use a mace myself, just to be thematic. But I think Hammer Throw itself is more of a conjuration – or, how else do we explain the 20+ hammers flying all over the place? :slight_smile: Although why it isn’t a cast speed skill, instead of a throwing attack is beyond me. Maybe throwing conjured hammers? Who knows.

There still seems to be quite a few items in the game that really have no place. Hopefully these will get cleaned up, or rebuilt…and/or…skill trees modified to accommodate them. I am still holding out hope for lightning hammer support for the +Lightning Dmg to Hammer Throw idols!

1 Like

Yeah, I know, it’s like Spiritual Hammer in DnD. Still irritates me. At least in 3e Dnd and above they changed it to spiritual weapon. I think with LE, it’d be cooler if it the conjuration took on the aspect of the weapon you wield. Although that would most likely be low on the totem pole as it’d be a crap-ton of extra animation.

Using a 1H Axe & Catalyst right now. Cannot use Void Cleave because for some reason it requires a 2H weapon. WHY? Almost every skill in this game has some stupid restriction for no good reason. There are not enough skills to go around for everything to have so many restrictions.

Lunge is actually useless, If I just so happen to trail further away from my partner I cannot lunge to any mobs because they’re all dead.
If I’m fighting a boss like lagon, I cannot effectively use any movement to escape his beam or slam attack to move away.
If I’m in a big pack of mobs and I want to kite them a bit more instead of going straight into them, I can’t.

There is zero flexibility here.

Can’t use shield rush without a shield ( but I can use shield throw? )
Can’t void cleave without 2H weapon
Can’t use teleport on smite because I’m using that in my build as a mana building skill.
Javelin dash is a mess and doesn’t work sometimes + cooldown is a lifetime.

Just give every class a generic basic movement skill to spec into and you can avoid these problems. Maybe then I can use that basic move skill and void cleave? wow !

There’s this but yeah. “SHIELD” rush, without a shield, yeah, toooooooooooootally normal… sarcasm btw. Unless you mean “Can” and not “Can’t” because we certainly CAN use Shield Rush without a shield using this node.

And that node kinda “renamed” the skill to into “Dark Rush” so I kinda wish we have a node for Void Cleave named something like “Void Swing” that remove certain restrictions.

I feel I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that Rogues can Pierce with a 2H mace. There’s literally no excuse for this skill to be weapon-locked.

Javelin and Healing Hands can also become movement skills and have a variety of buffs. Or Shield Rush maybe? You can also use Lunge with Paranoia helmet and dont even have to specialize it.
Maces have all the weapon type specific dmg bonuses, thats the tradeoff.

Javelin can become a “movement” skill, in that you can use it to move. It doesn’t gain the movement or traversal tag, and doesn’t work with Valiant Charge. But it does count as a Buff skill, so that’s another 20% to Healing Hands. You’re just gonna pay with your belt and boot suffixes if you want it to actually be usable.