Vengeance vs Rive

Hey yall. Brand new player here so forgive the ignorance. I’ve been doing some research and have found a majority of the paladin builds I’ve found run vengeance over rive. From what I can tell rive does significantly more damage than vengeance and paladins have so much self heal I’m not seeing the point of taking repostes over more damage. Could someone explain to me the thought process of taking vengeance over rive for your filler attack. Thanks in advance!

25% less damage taken is an immense defensive layer especially at higher corruption levels. I think you won’t fall far behind with attack speed either if you spec for it.

Depending on the build Rive or Vengeance are often not your primary source of damage and rather filler skills for Mana and utility.

Especially Vengeance has so much utility with anti crit, % armor and huge DR.

Rive has less utility but can deal more damage. There are definitely some Rive builds that use rive for damage, but most builds use both of these for mana gain via Time and Faith passive

1 Like

damage will not be from vengeance or rive, but from Healing Hands trigerred by them.
pros for Rive:

• 40% attack speed if configured 1-2-1-2 only
  • ability to pull mobs with 2nd hit(very usefull in lot of scenarios)
  • forged weapons are pets(not really attract mobs hits but still a bit)

pros for Vengeance:

• 25% damage reduction(not the riposte, the flat one)
  • much more shred armor
  • still has 25% attack speed

I played both a lot. currently I use Rive, mostly for the pull