Vendor items

Does anyone know if vendors (and the gambler) are supposed to have level appropriate items? They seemed to for the first couple tiers then after that it just seems completely random and usually much lower tier than what my character is.

I had planned on upgrading my weapons at the vendor (if necessary) at each new tier but I’m 55 now and still using level 27 weapons because the vendor always has lower level items. Seems like it’s broken or just pointless.

The town gambler is random non-unique items up to level 40

1 Like

The most common use for the vendor is to buy items with affixes that you need, then shatter them (rune of shattering) so you have the appropriate shards to craft your own items. Good bases are easy enough to find in the wild.
Items from the vendor or gambler have very low crafting potential anyway so they can’t really be used as crafting bases.

Buying directly items that will help your build will indeed only happen at very low level.

1 Like

Ok that explains it. Thanks for the info. Sort of related to this…I was sort of following a Bladedancer build on Maxroll. The last weapons it suggest are Kris daggers at level 27. Then it doesn’t really mention what to get after and since the Gambler doesn’t have items over 40 I’m a bit confused what I’m supposed to be looking for. It does show “items at level 70” on this page:

But the items are still Kris daggers so I’m confused if I should be looking for items that are higher tier or maybe I’m missing something about how itemization works. Is the expectation that you would still keep using level 27 “kris” daggers but just an upgraded version with higher tiers or is there some higher level version of the kris dagger with better base damage/implicits than the level 27 variant?

In Last Epoch, item bases come with implicit modifiers (for Kris daggers, this is the crit strike pine under + melee damage)

Different implicit modifiers are better for different builds.

I hope this addresses your question. If not, let me know.

1 Like

Yes I know the different bases have different implicit modifiers but as you are leveling there are tiers of weapons and the base damage increases for each tier. Like level 1 Poigard does 9 melee damage. Level 12 Sacrificial Knife dose 13 melee damage etc…

Basing this from this item database page: Dagger - Last Epoch Item Database

It follows that pattern until the Kris dagger and then the base damage sort of jumps around and it’s much less clear if each new tier is actually an upgrade or just different. So my question is more about whether I should still be using a Kris dagger (level 27) when I’m 55 or should I be upgrading to Majasan Dagger because it has a higher base melee damage? Is the Kris only available in a 27 variant or can I find a 55 version of the Kris?

I guess my question also extends to armor. I’m in an area that says it’s level 56 but I’m seeing armor drops that say 18. Why isn’t level appropriate gear dropping in these areas?

I dont have time to research it for sure, but ive never seen bases drop with higher item level and implicit range.

If your build is built around crit, you want crit chance and crit multiplier.

A good Kris Dagger will give you lots of crit multi, so you’d want to make sure you get crit chance elsewhere.

If you use Majasan Dagger, you will get that crit chance and want to get your crit multi elsewhere.

The flat damage increase is important and useful, but if youre critting regularly from your skills anyway, the 80% increased crit multi may be better overall.

It really depends on the build.

Same story for armour. Low base level items arenot necessarily worse. It depends on the build.

Yes I understand the different implicit stats and the implications of choosing an item based on that. What I’m trying to wrap my head around is that the base of the items with different implicit stats are at different tiers. If I want crit multi I only have a level 27 dagger to choose from but if I wanted a chance to poison dagger that is a level 68 dagger and has almost double the base damage. I’m trying to understand why that is the case.

Same with armor. If I want increased phys damage the only Rogue armor with that is level 4 with 30 armor whereas Gorgonscale Coat rogue armor is level 80 and has 180 armor.

If it’s intended that armor with phys damage is meant to just have low armor why is the armor even tiered behind different levels? Tiers usually indicate a progression but if I want a particular implicit there is no progression…you are stuck at whatever tier happens to have that implicit. It also means you are either having to wait until end game for certain implicit stats or you are at end game stuck with a low level item. Sorry if this makes sense to everyone else but the logic of this is not clear to me.

I cant speak authoritatively to the design intent, but I suspect it is to make you choose whats important to you :slight_smile: If every item base was scaled to higher tiers, then the choices wouldnt likely be as interesting.

I encourage you to bring these kinds of design questions to the Discord and ask the devs :slight_smile:

Progression doesnt have to be up/down. It can also be sideways.

Right but if it was horizontal progression why gate the items behind levels? Just make them all available from the start. That’s the puzzling thing about this setup. If it’s just horizontal progression why do you have to wait to level 68 to get a chance to poison dagger?

Definitely a question for the devs :slight_smile:

Well I can’t even get the devs to respond to me about my missing character so I won’t bother asking about this. lol.

While the devs dont take bug reports or technical support requests on Discord, they are generally happy to respond to design questions and the like.

They didn’t respond to my support ticket, either. They even closed the ticket weeks later after ignoring my emails. They don’t appear to even have support from my perspective. This question is a bit more complicated (as this thread revealed) so probably not a question easily asked in Discord. Regardless, thanks for your responses. You are more helpful than EHG is. lol.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.