Unsatisfactory Arena Rewards

This is correct. Arena just is a placeholder. Because of the popularity EHG is discussing internally if they wanna keep this mode and how to improve it.

I don’t like arena in his current state. It lacks some spice. But could be just more fun playing multiplayer arena.

They could add a boss encounter every 5 waves, that has to be beaten in a certain time or that slowly walks towards a certain point and the player has to prevent him reaching that point (slowing/freezing/stunning would be essential). Mobs would spawn at a specific rate as long as the boss is alive. Perhaps even add npc defensive systems like catapults and balistas that deal huge damage to the boss and you have to protect.

Even the current monolith is a placeholder.

I seen a few people mention this but arean is just a xp multiplier less so for the loot Enjoy

Its true, but the mechanics of the current game really dont lead you to see that when being taught. It seems like it should be the next step in the progression like rifts -> Greater rifts in D3. This is not the case and its disheartening and makes the arena feel not very worthwhile

I’m OK with Arena being arena for “Arena’s sake” but the tension is lost when it asks if you want to progress every 5 levels. There is a decision point that needs to be made: “Do I greedily go on or do I cash in my chips”

If it’s just for XP and the reward is trivial, then just bring on wave after wave after wave without asking if you want to cash in.

On another point, you have to farm 5 Monos to even attempt an arena so the expectation of “something better” is already built into it.

Yes and no about the constant waves.

Honestly passed wave 50, i’m really bored (and i don’t go at high lvl like some crazy dudes). I usually let the game running and i go watch a series episode or do sports before going back. As we don’t have pause mode in the game atm, please don’t do that :smiley:

1 Like

I would have to agree with this statement. I played the content and worked up to the End of Time area. So when I see there were these Monolith’s and Arenas, I was pretty excited. I completed and failed several Monolith’s which rewarded me Lots O Loot during the gameplay and then there was a chest of more loot at the end upon completion. This was very exciting and rewarding for my work. I finally received a Arena Key. Now it was time to try my hand at the arena, I hoped to see some cool items drop at the end. I was not sure what to expect when entering the arena. Then the waves started, and loot was dropping (a little). So I ran around picking up the crafting pieces and the Yellow quality items. Then there was a break every five waves. This was cool, I had a stash chest and a vendor. This was nice to have so I did not take a chance on losing my loot or not being able to pick something up due to my inventory being full. I think I made it to wave 30ish before I perished. I remember seeing an Idol on the ground I was unable to pick up before I died. I thought 'aw shoot. I hoped that the chest at the end of the arena would have some cool stuff in it to help make up for me not getting that idol. So when I made it through the load screen to see “Nothing” waiting for me was quite deflating. I can see on the leader boards there are players reaching very high wave counts, but the only thing they get for their efforts is what they can pick up off the ground. It seems that the Monolith’s reward better and more items then the arena. Monolith’s do not require any keys but the arena does. I understand that there is a prestige of placing on the leaderboard, but not everyone will place on the leaderboard. Not everyone will want to, but it seems to me that the arena should offer a higher chance at better/more loot than the Monolith. Otherwise, the only real reason to even do Arenas is to try and flex for those on the leaderboard.

Suggestions:
*maybe have the arena drop zero items during the event, that way the player can concentrate more on the fight. Rather than possibly dying trying to pick up an item.
*Instead of having a wave break every 5 waves, have breaks every 25 waves or no breaks (if there is no loot to pick up during the fight, no need to break)
*Have a chest waiting for the player near the arena portal with Lots O’ Loot once they return to “The End of Time” area.
*make the amount of loot received be based on the number of waves completed before death. Maybe after a set number of waves completed there is a unique item available. (Example: complete 25 waves you get a guaranteed unique item along with the standard yellow, blue, white quality items and crafting materials.)

Just spit ballin’
Keep up the good work

Your comment reminded me of Grim Dawn’s Arena. I really like that model. The difficulty scales appreciably as you go on so you’re not trapped there for an eternity. (LE going to wave 200+ is… daunting.) There’s a boss fight every few waves (is it 5?) and the boss fights become tough - they’re good difficulty checks. Every 5 waves you have a choice of taking your loot or continuing. If you die, you get less & worse loot than if you’d chosen to end it on the previous check. There’s a real risk/reward tradeoff. I also like that you don’t have to focus on the loot until the very end when you go open the reward chests. The only thing the mobs drop is pots.

Essentially, I wish the LE arena was like GD’s. That one felt really good. I’m sure it’s not perfect, but it’s a lot more manageable and has much more interesting choices.

EDIT: Typo.

4 Likes

This sounds nice. I am curious what EHGs plans are for arena. It’s only a quick and dirty build in system they implemented to give players something to do after playing through the (yet incomplete) story. But it now has its place. Some people really would go mad if they’d take it out, I guess.

But it definitely has to be altered. It’s too repetitive and boring, even for a horde mode. And its definitely not scaling well. It eats too much time. The limits of what is possible should be reached way earlier than after hours of playing.

I like the idea of dropping rewards only every X waves and losing the complete reward if you die. Maybe also lvl progress should get lost on death. So its really a thrill if you go for 5 additional waves. Warframe has the same mechanics on different modes.

1 Like

You can also restart at every 50th wave in GD’s arena…

2 Likes

The “good enough XP” in MoF will really start to drop off around level 70. At least that’s what I’ve noticed. And for me experientially Arena didn’t feel like THE next step but ONE of the next steps. It is a Beta and if I’m not mistaken I think I’ve read there are still one or two other endgame components in development? So my guess is that closer to release there will probably be something that better defines the various aspects of endgame when they’re all in place.

edit: typos because typing be hard.

That’s right - I forgot about that. TBH, I’ve only dabbled a bit with GD’s Arena. It was a nice alternate leveling & gearing mechanism so I didn’t have to redo Chapter 1 of the story again. I think you miss out on the constellation points, though - similar to how you miss out on idol spaces in LE.

Incidentally, I also wish the Monolith and Arena only opened up after a player has completed the story mode once. I don’t mind it for subsequent characters, but a player should have to play through the story once.

You can purchase devotion points in the Crucible via tributes that you accumulate after successfully completing 10 waves of enemies (with further tributes gained upon not continuing further and entering the loot room).

What you do miss out on, however, are the bonus Skill and Attribute points you gain from doing certain story quests through the 3 difficulties. Even this can be offset a bit if you own all the DLC’s and purchase the Savior’s Merit on Ultimate difficulty and give it to any newly created character. This specific merit allows newly created characters to skip both Normal and Elite difficulties while also granting them all Skill and Attribute rewards from those difficulties. Now you need only complete Ultimate difficulty for the remaining Skill and Attribute rewards. So the only caveat of this is you need at least one character that has already reached Ultimate difficulty and completed Act 1 to reach the Forgotten God’s portion of the story content.

The game has certainly become much more streamlined for players wanting to create more than one character.

1 Like

Yes, but it gets incrementally MUCH more expensive. I don’t think I’ve ever used Crucible to get more than 5 devotion points. I know there are a few people who level using it but it is way easier to get those devotion points in campaign.

That said, being able to restart Arena after ‘checkpoints’ on a particular character would be awesome.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that this was the best option, or even a good option, for accumulating devotion points the fastest but it is ‘an option’. Using the Savior’s Merit and rifting throughout Normal and Elite difficulties would be a significantly faster option.

But yes, checkpoints in Arena would be a nice addition as well as having a boss challenge at some point during these waves (maybe every ‘x’ amount of waves…like 25 perhaps). Would certainly make it a bit more interesting.

1 Like

Absolutely. Just thought I’d point out that it is ‘doable’ just big diminishing returns on it. I always felt like Crate really didn’t want people fully leveling in Crucible but hell, I don’t know. I couldn’t design a game if called it Diablo II and said here, you can use this. :wink:

I do know I’m looking forward to seeing what 11th Hour has in store for the extra end game stuff they’ve hinted at here and there. I can’t find the post that was out a few days ago that was sort of a roadmap for the next phases, but it was very enticing!

You can read about the planned endgame modes on the homepage :wink:

https://lastepochgame.com/end-game-systems/

Also this:

2 Likes

I’m especially excited about Epoch’s Call and Lost Memories. And I had forgotten all about the Eternity Caches. I remember that way back in Alpha and was really curious to see how that would unfold.

1 Like

I actually think this is a good thing, at least until we get a more expansive endgame content (phase 4?). This enables build diversity as there are characters that excel at farming monoliths quickly (speedrunners or fast clear speed) and characters that excel at surviving the Arena (high dps and survivability). The rewards are different (loot vs exp/ladder), so it encourages people to experiment with different builds.

If the Arena’s rewards are too good, there is very little reason to run Monoliths other than just farming Arena keys.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.