Unity crash on (Steam) launch since December 18th

Game worked fine 16 hours ago, but I woke up to this error this morning
https://imgur.com/NqwjdKw

Build ID: 7904926

Player-prev.log (17.8 KB)

Edit: Crash report folderCrash_2021-12-18_173023505.zip (28.6 KB)

This is happening to me also. Sad face can’t play at all.

EDIT: Fixed it: Go to Steam, right click LE and go to Properties, then Local Files and click Verify Integrity of Game Files. This found 2 files for me that failed and it re-downloaded them, now it works. @Clinkzs

Same error for myself. Posted in the Steam community hub also. Unfortunately, verifying game integrity doesn’t seem to work for me. Began with 0.8.4d.

Verify the game files in Steam…

Thats step one for any errors…

If its still happening, update here…

Please add your player.log, le_graphicsmanager.ini & the output from a dxdiag report…

Useful files - Last Epoch Support Hub

DxDiag.txt (106.0 KB)
Player.log (18.9 KB)

For whatever reason, the graphics ini doesn’t exist (nor is it hidden) in the LocalLow location, but I have not previously done any manual ini editing or anything similar.

That doesnt make sense… The le_graphicsmanager.ini file is in the same folder as the player.log with the same visibility… The game should also generate a new one if its not there… pretty sure that you are going to have issues if there is no settings file…

It shouldnt make any difference, but double check in the windows file manager view tab, on the right is the toggle for Hidden files…

EDIT; just checked your player.log… its crashing when it tries to read the settings for the Unity game engine… Its barely starting up…

Try starting the game with this ini file…

(change the name obviously)

le_graphicsmanager.ini (493 Bytes)

Player.log (39.7 KB)

Caused Steam to hard crash. The LE pop-up window froze and did a standard Windows “window not responding.”

Ok… Your install is totally messed up… There is nothing else that could explain this…

The player.log is totally messed up and out of sync.

Looking at your DXDIAG… I see that the Last Epoch Errors are reported (end of the file). But I also see LiveKernelEvent 193… there are many possible reasons for this… it could be memory corruption or a GPU related issue… It is hard to tell exactly what the cause is - just search Google and you will find MANY different reasons… Either way, any LiveKernelEvent is NOT what you should be getting as it usually points to something serious. This needs to be resolved.

You are also getting svchost.exe_CDPUserSvc Crashes… which is Connected Devices Platform that handles various services on your windows machine syncing data between devices etc… Not something that should be crashing without explaination especially as its crashing the main NTDLL.DLL.

My recommendations:

1. Trace the Livekernelevent error and make sure your system is actually ok and nothing is failing… Run SFC , View Reliability History and double check that your system drivers, bios and anything else is up to date and there are no failures in Event viewer etc… I would even suggest running benchmarks and system diagnostics to ensure that everything is ok.

2. Backup your savegames/steam cloud saves… (and the whole folder: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games)

3. Uninstall Last Epoch entirely

4. Remove the last epoch folder with settings etc

5. Remove the last epoch installation folder in Steamapps common

6. Reinstall Last Epoch.

7. Do a GPU driver clean safe mode driver installation (use something like DDU if you dont know how to do this manually).

Launch the game again and see what happens with a totally clean environment…

Reinstalled the game, DDU’d to the latest drivers, no change. System working as expected. Digging into the event viewer, everything points to their implementation of UnityPlayer.dll as other Unity games load completely fine without issue. I’ve seen a few other reports of people constantly crashing with the latest patches as well.

Edit: Alright three other unity games (Genshin, Valheim, and TemTem) all work perfectly fine, so based on the other reports from the latest patches I’m going to wager it’s not a ‘me’ problem.

Well… Playing devils advocate here… if it were not a problem specific to your setup, then how would you explain the facts:

1. the game settings files didnt exist - this is not normal
  2. the player.log debug logging totally out of sync messages as if its corrupted - this is not normal
  3. the forums would be flooded with people unable to play (myself included) if this problem didnt have something specific to your setup involved. Sure it could be something in the game reacting very specifically to something on your system… but realisitically no-one would be playing if this wasnt a me problem.

How other game function has very little to do with Last Epoch… There are various different versions of Unity and they are developed by different people with different requirements and active components and different levels of completion.

Did you do the reinstall following the process I recommended? This was specifically suggested with those steps based on another user with a 3080 that managed to get his to work… Reinstall did not work for him unless he actually removed folders as per the steps above…

The player.log even corrupted shows the detailed Unity errors… You will see from it that there are plenty of D3d11 errros which usually occur if the game is having performance problems, the drivers are not working or the game is not installed properly…

Livekernel events have shown up in lots of other users having trouble with LE… In most cases, (barring LE causing GPU temp issues) LE was not the cause but suffering from the effects of these errors. You cannot ignore them and need to be sure why they are happening.

Note: I dont work for EHG… I have no affiliation with them… I am not a community Tester… Just a player trying to help other players…

Even with a full deletion of all LE system files and reinstallation (which included the graphics ini), the same error persists, same for the GPU driver. Steam file verification is as expected. This exact error is occurring on multiple people’s setups simultaneously within the same 1-2 hotfix patches specifically, not to mention the also more widespread issues of authentication/crashing on the login screen, etc. since these patches. For me specifically (and it sounds like others as well), the only change before and after the game working properly were the hotfix patches.

It’s extremely disingenuous to claim it’s a ‘me’ problem when the above is true, unless everyone experiencing the error is coincidentally having the same hardware/OS level failures which would be astronomically low odds. I can’t prove it’s a Unity issue, only that my event viewer says the crash is originating from UnityPlayer.dll. I’ve seen past reports online where some people can’t play any Unity games which is definitely a ‘me’ problem, but in my case it’s only LE.

The LiveKernel events are all showing up recently within the last few patches… like I mentioned before, unless everyone is simultaneously having hardware issues, I’m going to go with the commonality which is the game/patch. I appreciate the help since I was able to rule out some obvious causes, but I’m hopeful the devs will see these reports before (or most likely after) the holidays and investigate. Just because a bug doesn’t affect everyone playing a game doesn’t mean it’s not a bug.

Edit: I also wouldn’t expect the forums to be flooded with a bug like this. There are probably double the amount of people complaining about similar issues on Steam via the community hub and negative reviews.

This is a beta/early access game and problems like this are expected and definitely increase in frequency around patching/hotfix times - that is all totally normal and part of the beta process…

Your errors might be similar to those experience by others during a patching/hotfix cycle but the root causes can be very different…

Unless a problem can be replicated following specific steps (or on specific drivers/hardware etc) then there will ALWAYS be a “me” component to whatever problems happen. This is totally normal - everyone has a slightly different combination of setups, configuraitons & hardware and drivers and other applications installed that can affect the game… Totally normal and its trying to figure out what is different that is the key to tracing these kinds of issues.

Unity… If you look at your player.log… You will see countless lines of d3d11 issues - these are common issues as I have mentioned before… You can search the forum and will find similar in other peoples logs… almost every one of them are related to someone performance, drivers or corrupted game installs.

Livekernel… Are you 100% sure that these errors are directly linked to Last Epoch? Reason I say this is from experience here on this forum… LE being unoptimised has generally stressed systems more than other games or in totally new ways (especially when people use Ultra settings & high resolutions) and this has highlighted Livekernel errors - but the root cause of these errors were other problems on the users system… your specific Livekernel error is not one that I have seen anyone have here … Irrespective of what LE is doing you need to confirm that nothing is failing on your machine…

I have looked at Steam and Reddit and the errors are the typical ones there are not errors that are specifically like yours… they might be similar, but there are key things that are different…

Anyway… I am just a player here and dont feel like defending & arguing with you after offering general help so… Enjoy the holidays.

For the DX 11 issues, performance definitely isn’t the issue (well above minimum spec, all other games/programs work as expected, and LE worked a week ago). Drivers aren’t the issue as it worked previously on the same driver version and the latest version also has the issue. Corrupted game install I would say is ruled out… twice (un)installed via Steam (and manually hunted down temp/system files and deleted them) and even tried the standalone client, all with the same result. I haven’t had a Windows update since LE worked either, which would be quite the cause.

I cannot rule out the livekernel issue, but again, which is more likely… several people having this error are simultaneously having hardware issues/failures causing livekernel errors, or the game is doing something to cause them? I can run Furmark and Prime95 without any system instability which are significantly more taxing in every manner on the system than LE. I can’t prove it’s 100% the game, but I have definitely run the course of trying to isolate ‘me’ variables.

What is this device with Windows 7 drivers from 2014? Can you try game without it?

VB Cable is an audio driver that gives you a virtual audio input and output for routing purposes. It’s only used on a program by program basis and not actively used. I tried disabling both sources with no luck. I also tried the unrelated solution of disconnecting all active sessions on the LE website with no luck unsurprisingly.

Edit: Not sure if this is useful to anyone in the know, but here is the Event Viewer entry I have been referencing.

Faulting application name: Last Epoch.exe, version: 2019.4.23.19969, time stamp: 0x60519ea2
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.4.23.19969, time stamp: 0x6051a069
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000000dd074b
Faulting process id: 0x2238
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7f855cf75c796
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\Last Epoch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: 9662a634-d267-4d7d-866b-e96b825aa16a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

For anyone who might find and read this with the same issue, Stanzwar from EHG commented they have acknowledged the Unity-related crashing issue and plan to address it once the team is back from holiday.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.