Uh, did Steam just blow away my old characters?

This is a bit complicated…

In the process of getting the beta i worked i linked the game through steam.

when i first ran it i was running the linux client and saw all my old characters.

then i switched to the windows version running under proton.

ok. fine. hey, i want to go take a look at one of my builds. i’ll just run the LOCAL linux client and take a look.

WTF ??!!

my characters are no longer there.

what i think has happened is that steam , when i ran the linux client, cloud saved my characters. there’s just one problem, i don’t know how to invoke the linux client from steam.

also i have a very, very bad feeling that when i eventually got to the beta client, by characters were probably overwritten with a blank slate.

tl;dr how do i invoke the linux client instead of the windows client in steam ??

They should be saved in the relevant folder.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=last+epoch+save+folder

Start it in Linux?

That was how i started. i ran my local copy of the game i’ve been using since i bought it.

There’s nothing there.

When you say there’s nothing there, are you checking in-game or in Linux? LE should automatically transfer your offline save files to the /testing subfolder but it doesn’t always & if it doesn’t then you can’t see your offline saves in the MP client.

yeah. involving steam and the beta has made everythnig really complicated.

1. linux client (NON MP) running locally on linux : in-game NO characters. AT ALL. This is a problem/bug. nothing should have happened to them.

2. linux client (NON MP) running on steam: don’t know, haven’t been able to make that happen

3. windows client (NON MP) running on steam: my windows characters - because they are saved in steam cloud - are there

4. windows clien (MP) running on steam in windows OR linux: nothing is there , as expected, because it’s a brand new install.

so - #2 is the test case i’m trying to make run. i need to run the non-MP beta linux client, i.e. 0.8.5f under steam and see if the characters show up.

edit: actually i lied. my first attempt at running on steam did invoke the linux client and i saw my characters there. that’s why i’m trying to get back to that.
and… i got back to that.

Steam and/or Last Epoch conspired to F*ck up my Saturday, and my 13 characters are gone.

yay software.

what’s particularly ironic is i still haven’t been able to actually play with someone else. i wish i had friends…

edit 2: well when i finally got back to linux steam running the windows version using proton experimental, the character i had created was still there ! yay ! :laughing:

edit 3: i lost a lot of good stuff… :sob:

1 Like

So I assume in #1 you aren’t using steam at all? That would probably explain why your characters aren’t showing up. Just use steam if that’s where you had your characters, no reason to use the native client.

#4 you aren’t going to see previous characters because your local characters are not transferred to multiplayer. Have to make new ones.

yes, it’s confusing.
#1 . my characters WERE under the native client in lunx. once i went through the process of trying to get it to work in steam, i went back to the native client in linux and the characters were no longer there.
#4 yes . i know. lol.

HOWEVER. i have an ace up my sleeve . it’s called a backup. however i run backups relatively often so i may have already overwritten the file i need…

edit: HAH. i have a backup. The backup proves either LE or Steam ERASED my saved characters because they are no longer in the current directory. Now if i can just figure out which directories i need to restore. i know. ALL of them. i’ll just blow away the entire directory and restore from backup.

afaik you can’t play singleplayer in the current multi player beta, haven’t tried

for your old chars, can you check ~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/ subfolders?

right click the game in the steam library → ‘Properties…’ → ‘Compatibility’ → uncheck ‘Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibilty tool’

1 Like

woohoo!! got them back. and for all you future travellers out there the characters in linux live in:

~user/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves

yeah, i forgot to update this thread with that info . i did eventually figure that out.

yes i did. that’s how i knew they got blown away, the Saves directory was empty.
the root of the problem is that the characters were most definitely erased during my upgrade process, most likely because i accidentally had steam invoke the linux client and it probably erased them after it moved them to the cloud or something. however if it moved them to the cloud, why weren’t they there when i went back to the linux client in Steam ?

As i said, that was most likely the cause of the problem, but i’m really not sure.

1 Like

Last i checked there was an offline/online toggle.

Happened to me as well when switching between Linux native and windows client through proton. Not only now during the test week but also before. Luckily I have snapshots every 10 minutes so not much was lost. Still I could see this as being frustrating for players who do not have backups. One more reason I want to play “online/multiplayer” even though I play SSF as I hope there will only be one source of save files.

Not sure exactly what happened but the Proton version save folder is at
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/899770/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/LocalLow/Eleventh\ Hour\ Games/Last\ Epoch/Saves/

while the Linux native version save folder is at
~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh\ Hour\ Games/Last\ Epoch/Saves/

I would expect the two clients not interfering with each other. I can only assume the steam cloud sync removed/overwrote the Linux saves when switching.

1 Like

It’s a result of some seriously bad progamming.
They deleted/overwrote something called “Saves” and did not make a local, timestamped, backup of it.
Seriously, WTF ?!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.