Trade development update - Introducing merchants guild and circle of fortune factions

Such a thing would be far more powerful than current gearing options. If they’re going to stay true to their statement that CoF would be a bit lower than current gear acquisition until it’s highest ranks then it would need to be restricted to upper ranks, meaning you don’t get the benefits until you’re way beyond the point that MG can just buy the item.

Even so, at the numbers you suggest and the relative drop rates EHG has implied it would still probably be weaker than MG. The MG player still just has to find one such item and trade it for what they want while the CoH player needs to find multiple. For it to require 5-10 sacrifices for the item you want, the CoH faction would also have to increase drop rates by a factor of 5-10 to keep up.

Assuming that the game has enough players to sustain an economy, the gap between deterministic and non-deterministic item farming really is so large that they could introduce an entire mechanic that is way better than anything we have now and it would still fall short. It’s far too easy to underestimate how powerful trade is in games like this, but it really does make gear acquisition several orders of magnitude faster.

This is why I’m saying that CoH would have to provide nearly deterministic item farming. MG is fully deterministic, and no high-variance system can compete with that unless you’re using sample sizes well beyond what you’ll see with the playtime of most players. The suggestion here is deterministic and powerful, and even so it still probably falls short.

It also only addresses the one case I’ve focused on here. You’d need similar mechanisms to provide deterministic results for exalted items, LP items, Legendary items, and even Idols which would all have to keep pace with the MG player that ranks up and earns the ability to deterministically buy them.

understood, ty for the clarification, just wanted to throw the idea i had while reading your comments, i like to read coments like yours that are very well tought and detailed in different aspects of a game, in this case the point being the drop and trade point.

1 Like

Love the idea
but, question: if i’m MG and my friend is COF, item gifting is completely useless?

i think if you gift something for him that you dropped, he can use it, but if he drops something you would need the cof rank, maybe same case if you buy something from the bazzar and try to gift for him if this second case is possible

1 Like

SUGGESTION: there should be a machine that transforms an item from one faction to the other, with a 10% success rate :slight_smile:

I learned my lesson with systems like that, never again.

The old crafting system had a step like that and we got daily reports of bugs in it not following probability properly. It was as close to perfect distribution as you could expect from anything short of a research paper.

4 Likes

But my sample of 2 items both failing is clearly statistically relevant and shows that the system is broken. Plus the sound it makes when it fails hurts my soul. If I had one.

4 Likes

Humans are not very good at thinking about probabilities, especially when dealing with unlikely outcomes.

X-com has very transparent odds in the outcome of your actions.
Each action had a known probability of success, however people still get blindsided by “low odds” outcomes all the time. Missing two 95% shots in a row has a probability of 1/400, which is rather common in the grand scope of the game.
however, from the point of view of most players this appears like a bug.
As it turns out, the game cheats in favour of the player, and this is most likely to fix the perception of randomness.

3 Likes

Another variable that should probably be factored in when discussing MG vs CoF is the amount of time it takes an MG player to trade an item, particularly something that’s semi-high end and has limited potential buyers. I’ve seen great items sit on d2jsp for weeks before being sold. Some higher-end crafted items/ bases will sit on Path of Exile’s trade site for days or weeks before selling. The time it takes MG players to convert one item into a usuable item will vary immensely depending on any number of factors and probably can’t be quantified.

Thank you! I could understand it. :pray:

Even though I understand that these will not be introduced yet in 0.9, my sleep is already shallow because I am too excited. :woozy_face:

BRAAVVVOOOOOOOOOO EHG!!! You guys are the ABSOLUTE BEST! The best for both worlds!! Absolutely awesome!!! Keep giving me reasons to FARM my builds and play LE!!! Not that I need them :wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ive had a day to think and I really dislike the Merchant Guild and its restrictions and headaches associated, seems more convoluted and complex than PoEs ‘just look at the value and price it’, ill probably only do CoF unless people find easy ways to exploit the MG system, even then the vast amounts of time you will waste dealing with the Bazaar you could of just played more. I am against silly restrictions, we already have that crap everywhere now irl dont need it in my games

personally, I think at the very least, target farming low rarity 0 LP uniques could be a prophecy option. As that would be the first use of market. Beyond that, I have no clue of what would be better. So long as the effect is only limited to effecting stuff that is tradable, it should be possible to balance with favour costs.

That said, I would like a meta-option that effects loot gain that is available to both.(in addition to your proposed system).

Following @Voctor explanation, I can understand why MG is better than CoF, but I also agree with what you’re saying : you get an edge in trading only if you have mastery of the system in order to know what to sell.

My experience in PoE regarding trade is not great : I can’t play enough to stay on top of the economy/inflation and I’d rather play the game than spend time learning the meta and what to look when selling items. Yes, PoE reward player that learned the system upfront but it also means that player that don’t learn the system are handicap.

CoF with target farming means I can play and target farm, without that upfront cost of learning what has value. At the end of the day, if the increased drop rate makes the game fun, albeit less efficient, and that I don’t need to spend my free time learning the economy nor trading items, the CoF gets the job done

But Mike, fractures are fun! We love it when our items break!

1 Like

I’m not really a fan of features being locked behind rep grinds, but I’m happy to see this course correction and I’m willing to see how it plays out in practice. This kind of thing is why I like EHG.

1 Like

This is really fantastic.
Especially excited about the prophecy idea, i think it’s a terrific idea.

Very exciting

A few questions:

1. When we buy an equipment from the Bazaar, will that equipment become MG restricted like CoF items?
  2. You said we only need gold for trading, but there are 20% less buy or sell fee for R4 MG, could you clarify what is favor role for MG?
  3. Is Bazzaar the only place we can do player to player trade, can two MG player trade on the field instead for instance?
  4. Does Bazzaar player to player trade also required favor?

Many thanks

Exactly that !
I do not care if CoF or MG is more efficient. I do not care if someone cheeses the system with trading/gifting/grouping or RMT (well RMT should be a perma bannable offence anyways).
I want to have fun with my chosen playstyle (SSF CoF with shared stash).
If EHG provides other people ,with different needs, also fun so GREAT. But what I do not want is limiting options for others only cause I want parity for everyone.
Which route I take is a personal choice and that’s it.
A lot of people here seem to think, their personal preference has to be the best choice period and without compromise. I do not concur. You have the choice to take the playstyle you like and have a tradeoff of some kind for the compromise. That this game won’t cater to a specific radical group but actually tries to include as many players as possible is absolutely mind blowing.
Please do not make this another we vs them. I know a lot of games and especially PoE set a certain example and a lot of people think that system is great. If you think so, fine but please do not try to make LE a second PoE, Grim Dawn, Torchlight or Diablo X. Let LE be LE

3 Likes