Tongue of the aberrant seer... Poison "Spells"?

I personally love this item for the 3 point boost to attributes but the other abilities are affect poison “spells”. I have been trying to find even one poison tagged spell in this game and the only one even found on Google is Venom Nova which only a Beastmaster’s Scorpion can use. I have a TON of poison uniques including spears and would love to run a poison based build using this item and some of the other uniques but can someone please point out some poison tagged spells that this thing can actually be used with? This thing actually seems completely useless right now other that the attribute bonus.

1 Like

Baseline there are only 1 I can think of:
Aura Of Decay (Lich)

But there are plenty of others, that can be converted to poison:
Wandering Spirits (Acolyte)
Drain Life (lich)
Entangling Roots (Druid)

Most of the other poison stuff you probably have in stash are probably more generic or attack based and more suited towards Beastmaster or Rogue.

But the Ring cna definitely be pretty nice on an Poison Caster Acolyte.
But the ring generally is a low/mid tier unique, that is probably not worth for an endgame build.

It’s very cool for leveling though, if you equip that on a Poison Caster Acolyte during leveling.

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried them on my Lich and found that Aura of Decay is not a “spell” so the +1 to spell level does and other spell effects don’t work on it. Also, Entangling Roots, although they can have poison effects, don’t change to an actual poison damage type spell… BUT you Nailed it on the Wandering Spirits and Drain Life! Both of those are already spell types that can be converted to poison damage spells. Thank you very much! I was already working on a lich currently in her level 40’s and about to hit 50. I was already really looking at Drain Life as a life saver. I am using the Hungering Souls Build, which I am Loving and she’s deadly. She has a particular staff though… forgot it’s name that can cause 6 additional hungering souls and +1 to the level of all necrotic type skills or spells. Loving that staff. I don’t see the 6 extra souls ever happening but I think that is because I chose a node that limits me to having one huge soul per cast but the rest of the staff’s abilities really rock. Along with two of these rings though and Drain Life, things might even more interesting if I move some things around. I use Aura of Decay for Armor Shred… I wonder with Poison Resist maxed, if I could use the two rings I have (they drop like crazy) because they increase poison damage through the roof, for me included, and using Drain Life if damaging Bosses in battles like the first major boss fight where you fight three named bosses at the same time (no spoilers) after being betrayed would be easier since Drain Life can effect up to 3 targets at the same time. Just a thought. Maybe I’ll give it a try. Thanks very much.

Oh yeah I forgot that AoD is actually not a spell, my bad sorry.

Entangling Roots should gain the poison tag if you spec into the correct node in the skill spec tree. Because it has the little poison drop icon in the skill menue, that means there is a way for it to gain that tag.

I have not played with Entangling roots myself yet, so if there is not way for Entangling roots to gain a poison tag, that’s probably a display bug.

Armour does only affect damage from Hits.

So shredding Armour on enemies would not affect any of your damage over time. So if you don’t have any hit damage, shredding Armour on enemies is poitnless

In the Hungering Souls Build I am using, the AoD nodes get taken immediately to Armor Shred. Probably since using the skill does damage to the player as well as the enemies Unless you spec into Armor Shred… Plus using the Armor Shred of the skill, your three Skeletal Warriors (as long as you keep them and enemies within the AoD area of effect) tear through enemy armor like it’s nothing and just slaughter them almost instantly. Most larger trash mobs take like 2 or 3 seconds but the regular trash mobs are killed instantly. That’s the reason for the Armor Shred. If you keep it on Poison Skills (is not using Armor Shred), the poison affects the player and their minions as well as the enemies. Unless you are really watching what is going on, you can and will kill yourself within seconds.

Well I don’t know you entire build, but since we were talking about poison i assumed you wanted to build a primairly poison focused build, where armour shred would be pretty useless.

Armour shred is certainly not causing the damage you are doing there :smiley:

It takes a few seconds until armour shred even stacks up, so the upfront damage you and your minions are cuasing is very likely not related to the armour shred :stuck_out_tongue:

But that will go off-topic here anyway.

I don’t know oyur exact build so I can’t fully judge it by your explanation.

Oh. I am completely just interested in the rings. I was just explaining why I was using AoD in the first place and about why I would possibly switch it from armor shred back to poison to take advantage of the rings. The rings (I have two really good ones) cause high poison damage even to non-poison spell abilities so getting them away from the Armor Shred side of the skill and back to poison, I can boost poison damage by over 100%. I just have to have enough resist to stand in that. There is a node in AoD that, I believe, gives +40 poison resist per point invested… it may be +20. I already have a couple of points there but I forget right now but that will help. When I saw boost to over 100% that is with idols I have.

Acolyte also has Idols with “less damage taken over time”, there is an amulet (Oracle Amulett) with the same effect as implicit.

Reaper Form also has a Node in it’s Skill Spec Tree that gives you 1% poison resistance per point of Int.

This only works on spells that have a poison tag or a total conversion option. I was toying arround with my spriggan druid and while he has some poison stuff I can’t make use of it because the shapeshift has no poison tag :D. Threw said “trash” ring into the chest and forgot about it’s existence.

As Heavy mentioned, thankfully, there are apparently only two good uses for this ring in we want to get down to basics and they do really rock. Wandering Spirits and Drain Life. Sadly I don’t see many people using either in their builds. Wandering Spirits is being tried. A lot of people want it to work so it may get some action. I have never in my life created a build before and have no idea where to start but I have some ideas that I want to play with so I am about to try to find the last epoch basic builder form and try to build and see what happens and play in game and see what happens. I think it could be fun. I am going to use the ideas that Heavy has helped me with without a doubt. Thank you Heavy. You have been an awesome resource. I greatly appreciate your help.

1 Like

No problem, I’m glad i can give other people inspiration to try and test out their own build.
Mission accomplished :stuck_out_tongue:

One more tip for you, you should really start usign the reply function, if you are speaking to some1 specific, so they get a ping :stuck_out_tongue:

One more thing I want to put out here, especialy because of what @Irrelevant said.
This ring a freakin’ level 6, this thing is not meant to be an endgame item.

This is not “trash”. It’s a very decent ring for early levels even on builds that don’t focus on poison.

When people judging uniques, they always should try to see the whole picture and EHG added a lot of “exciting” early/leveling uniqeus this patch, that’s what most people wanted.

And now I already heard several people talking shit about some of the new lowlevel unqiues, because they are not endgame viable…

I am not sure what people want.

There are uniqeus for every part of the game, early, mid and endgame.
And they all have their place.

1 Like

Lol, I was hitting the wrong reply button. I just heard of a spear called Jade Harvester or something like that that boosts poison damage late game for Acolytes. I am reading up on that now. I agree though about them helping early on and finding better gear later. One of the absolutely best things about this game… it’s evolving.

One mans trash is another mans treasure :p. Then again I’m not sure what to do with this Ring because there are not many low level poison taged spells at least skills that are worthwhile. The Ring itself isn’t bad for a level 6 item but veeeeryy niche sadly.

People lose interest quickly in low level uniques since we spend most of our time in the endgame. They’re good for leveling alts, for a short time.

To be fair, it depends.
I have a bunch of chars that I stopped after the Abomination. What I really wanted with them was to create the build and see it work, but not go deep down in timelines with it.
So I have far less chars in endgame than I’ve had in leveling (I consider leveling from level 1 to the Abomination)

Yes and no. There are a bunch of great low level items a lot of builds can use. Then there are uniques only viable for a small fraction of skills what meks them nod that desireable. If said Unique isn’t widely usable for a lot of builds it’s simply not good even for leveling a new toon. Even that ring that spawns a taunting dummy is better then this ring because said ring is a good item and even better if you use minions.

Understandable, but for most folks that means they’ve got 12 chars (one for each mastery) at most to level, then they are all in the endgame… FOREVER! (Sandlot meme here)

For context, I consider the whole game until empowered mono’s “leveling” :slight_smile:

We all have our definitions! ^^
My last char did just reach empowered timelines. For me, he’s now complete. I almost nevery play empowered: I find it stressful and not fun. So now, this char will try to have “perfect” gear and blessings, and that’s all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.