Tips on good loot filter

I think I’m doing something wrong with the loot filters. I’m slowly grinding through the endgame (currently level 85), and the last time I changed any piece of my equipment was around 75.

I know what I’m mainly looking for in gear : “Int + DoT” on prefix and Health suffix. The free suffix is for resist as needed and crit avoidance.

I created filters for each item subtype that should highlight anything with Int Dot and Health, with the assumption I’ll chaos glyph the last suffix and hopefully get a resist. Yes, I did make custom rules for items where the prefix I mentioned can’t drop.

The amount of any such items that dropped in my last 10 level is literally 1. Which is starting to weight a bit on my fun. Last Epoch crafting looks awesome, but if I can’t get items to craft with, I’m stuck.

My guess is that my filters might be too restrictive, or that there is something I could do with runes/glyph that I’m not seeing and I could widen my criteria. I’m just not seeing what. Any advice would be welcome

1 Like

How strict did you set your amount of affixes total total/individual tier of affixes?

Did you also filter subtypes?

Regarding amount or total/individual tier I like to always set up two rules per item slot. One with at least 2 or 3 desired affixes, regardless of any tiers.
And a second rule with a total affix tier of 5-10, depending on how strict you want it.

It is definitely important to not make your filter too strict, since crafting can be a powerful tool.

Regarding sub types, there are a lot of very good item sub types, but at the early and midgame affixes are usually more important than implicit.
So don’t be too strict with sub types until you at least have items with 3-4 decently high useful affixes.

What would also help, if you share your loot filter. I am currently not at home but could check later today.
Maybe we can find something unintended hiding too much stuff.

1 Like

Just imagine a blue item with t4+ INt and t4+ DoT but withouth HEALTH and with 2 open affix slots. You won’t see such an item. But you could have easily crafted it into a good piece of gear with a bit of luck. Don’t make your filter too strict. Keep in mind that an open affix slot is a good alternative too (provided the item has a decent forging potential).
On the other hand you miss out on items with t5 Health + t5 resistance and 2 open prefixes too… just to consider.

Thanks a bunch! I’m going to take you up on your offer of taking a look at my filter (attached below).

If that’s not too much to ask and you find something, can you tell me WHAT I did wrong and WHY it was so. “Your filter was too restrictive, you could have included ABC and use XYZ tricks to forge them”. I’d like to improve and I feel I’m not properly leveraging the forging mechanics.

Edit : following your first comment, I took some time during lunch to try and improve thing; here is the modified versionSkyzoh Lich (advanced).xml (18.2 KB)

1 Like

When I am back home from work in about 1-2 hours I will check and give you some insight if I found anything.

1 Like

So I checked your loot filter and you have a lot of rules for specifc item slots (Like Helmet, Body Armour etc.)

But a lot of the affixes that you have selected are not even present on the item types.

For example:

The Helmet rule has the following 5 affixes selected:
Intelligence (available)
Damage over time (not available)
Added Health (available)
Increased Health (available)
Hybrid Health (not avaialble)

Effectively this rule will only show helmets with 2 of 3 affixes.
I would highly recommend thinking about a couple of other usefull affixes for you build and putting them in the affix list too.

The condition “With at least 2 affixes” is fine, but as recommend above, I would also create a rule using the same affix pool with the advanced option: “Total Affix Tiers of: More Or Equal: 5”

This way a helmet with a single T5 desired affix would show up and then you only need to decide based on the other affixes that are present on it, if oyu can make something out of it, by adding mroe affixes or using Glyph Of Chaos etc.

This in combination with making a slightly larger affix pool would lead to a couple mroe items showing up.
I would at least have 2 prefixes and 2 suffixes in the affix pool. Even if some of these affixes are not priority over other, if you find an item with for example T5 Health, T5 Vitality and an open prefix and suffix, this might not be somethign you want directly, but can be very easily be crafted into a very good item.

Also all of you ruels ahve very specific sub types selected, while this is great for endgame min-maxing, I don’t know how good your current gear is.
Affixes > Implicits.

If you find a perfect T20 all 4 desired affix item on a bad or medicre base, thats probably still and upgrade over your gear (depending on how good oyur current gear is)

At least select a couple mroe sub types, if you don’t want to remove subtypes completely as a condition.

EDIT: There are some slots, where you only have 1 applicable affix selected, thus the “with at least 2 affixes” rule will never ever work.

@Skyzoh Can you provide a Gear/Build Planner with desired endgame gear and maybe I can give a mroe specific tips.

But it all comes dow nto, what 4 affixes do you idially want to have on your gear.
On top fo that you will have a lot of interchangeable affixes like resistance, where it doesn’t matter on whic hslot it is.

This is the build I theory-crafted prior to patch 0.85. The off-hand would be different now. Lich, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.8.4g) - Last Epoch Build Planner

I’m hoping that the ward generation would be greater than the self DoT from AoD.
Int and DoT (when available) are top priority for prefix, poison and necrotic would be second. I’m probably going to aim for one or 2 +2 to skill level.
For suffix I’m aiming for maxing resist (require 175 poison res), 100% crit avoidance and as much Health as possible for the rest.

I can tell you how I make my filters

Show legendaries/set
Show exalted(optional:only exalted with specific affixes)
RECOLOR shatter tier affixes(any affix that I would immediatly shatter even if I don’t craft)
Show Idols with specific affixes(I put this above the hide other class rule because I want bee idols)
Hide Class specific(other classes) items
Hide Weapon types(that I am not using)
[One or two rules for]Hide subtypes within weapon type(choosing outdated subtypes)
[Several rules for]Hide subtypes within armor(choosing outdated subtypes)
[Several rules for]Hide subtypes within accessories(choosing outdated subtypes)
RECOLOR Affix list 1(I put damage affixes here, really this is just for important affixes)
RECOLOR Affix list 2(I put health and resist affixes here)
Hide everything else

This way if I need to adjust for higher tier affixes I merely change Affix list 1 or Affix list 2(as opposed to if I had a rule for every equip slot and thus had to adjust every single rule just to up the tier requirement by 1). And if I do not want a base anymore I simply change the associated hide rule.

I also do not need to know what affixes spawn on what items.

If I reach endgame and want absolute perfect affixes on a gear slot, then I can put a rule near the top of the filter., but I usually do not do that until FAR into monos.

2 Likes

So I did use your loot filter and just slightly adjusted it to the individual stats you want.

Main changes are:

• Picked all desired affixes for all slots
  • Picked all resistances except necrotic resistance on all slots, where it is applicable, because its interchangeable
  • For wands “With at least # number of affixes” put to 1, because Wands literally only need prefixes for your build

You only need 1-2 CSA suffixes, if you take the CSA blessing

Skyzoh Acolyte Copy.xml (17.3 KB)

1 Like

Thx for this, I was thinking about making a similar filter and you made everything a lot clearer.

Quick questions :

• Why the bees?
  • From your recolor rules, it seems you have one list for prefix, and one for suffix. Can your list show you an item with 3 out of 4 desired affix (so you can chaos glyph gamble)

Thx. You really helped step up my Last Epoch game, and I’m honestly grateful for it!

1 Like

bees per 10 seconds idol(for primalist)

One of the rarest idols in the game, so rare that I need to farm over multiple characters to get enough

I am trying to get enough to run a bee build

I could put a third list,(which is just combined form of first two lists) above those two rules with a 3 out of 4 rule, I often do. The point was to distinguish semi useful items(defences) from needed-for-build items(damage).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.