Thoughts on the upcoming Necromancer changes

Bwahaha, it is I, I have returned from my most recent hiatus in light of the newly announced necromancer changes that i noticed a week or two ago but didn’t get around to reading until like an hour ago, so please do keep in mind, this is sorta a hot-take, as it does take place before the changes have actually been implemented.

Wraith changes: on paper it looks good, however in the original post, i don’t recall it saying what the default cap is BEFORE wraiths are made to be permanent (a cap of 2 after being mad permanent, with what looks like 4 after talents) but the original cap is an important number. if we’re going from 50 wraiths cap to 2-4 then making them permanent is utter garbage, but if it’s like a 5-7 wraith cap to 2-4 that’s far more reasonable, but also slightly unnecessary, as keeping up 5-7 wraiths was brain dead easy in the first place.
the point is, unless the regular cap of wraiths is already arbitrarily low such as to gain no real benefit from them being permanent, then lowering the cap to 2-4 wraiths will be too large of a damage loss.
just for consideration.

Dread shade changes: I didn’t use the spell before out of spite for what it was, and i won’t use it now on the grounds that i don’t build around necrotic minions (although i might try a poison minion build?) but otherwise i do feel better about the spell being what it is, but there’s still a ways to go.
really the only gripe i have about the post change is: since it’s already limited to one instance, why isn’t it just permanent?

Abomination nerfs: (yes, it’s exclusively a nerf, come fight me) you almost had it, you were so close, it was in your hands, you already wrote the tooltip perfectly… then you just had to go an add “UNLESSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssss”
WHY?! it already had the downside that justified it, limited abomination to 2 minion types and overall just less minons consumed meant it would already be weaker, but then you had to go and decide that not only do we get a weaker abomination in exchange for it being permanent, but it also DELETES two other skills from our bar.
and before you angry defenders chime in “AH BUT ARCHMAGE AND DREAD PHALANX” understand that those nodes make the abomination EVEN WEAKER on the grounds that it now has EVEN LESS minions to eat, ON TOP of those talents being known damage losses for their own skills, regardless of the abomination existing. that one little “UNLESS” statement on the end of the permanent abomination talent makes it instantly dead BEFORE arrival. it has to be the development team actually trolling us or just giving in to some weird punishment fetish they seem to have for the necromancer. it was that same horrific design that led to the dread shade change, but it only migrated onto the abomination.
TL;DR on this one, congratulations, you took an already underperforming skill and made it even weaker such as to not even be desirable. /rant.

This concludes my thoughts on the upcoming necromancer changes, more to follow once the patch actually goes live.

I think they said that they hadn’t decided on the numbers for Wraith but it would probably be around 7-8 or so.

hmmm, well that would seem that making them permanent is pointless since 7 can be summoned with one click (unless those talents get changed) but otherwise, keeping 7 or 8 wraiths up forever is a simple feat so i don’t see the merit in taking a potential 75% damage loss just to not have to press the button.

From everything they said and especially what Mike said here regarding the Warpath overhaul, I would assume they are far more changes than the ones they teasered on the news post.

Here is the post i am refering to:

There was another member of the community doing alot of assumption based on the very little things they showed, but Mike said there are alot more changes.

I am fairly certain this will be the case for the Necromancer Changes too.

I would just say that giving feedback based on what you are assuming is changing doesn’t have much merit, since they did those changes based on feedback in the first place.

I would wait until the changes drop and then discuss them.

2 Likes

This.

Imagine going on a rant about how things will be in the future when you’ve only seen 2-3 of multiple changes designed to overhaul skills.

2 Likes

Yea, I think discussing the early info changes is useful. The tricky part is realizing that they are in context of many other unrevealed changes. This is the second time this weekend I’ve seen this type of confusion so I think we will be more careful to be clear that these are just some of the changes coming.

We like to show off the things we are most confident in early if we can. Partially to get early reactions but also to build up the hype for stuff we are proud of.

Lots of the other nodes that are around these have lots of changes too but we are still testing and balancing them. We also like having that big patch note drop and spoiling everything early kinda takes away from that.

So, have no fear, we have many many more awesome changes in store :grin:

4 Likes

The last thing I want is to “shut down” any discussion, but i definitely just wanted to remind the OP, that we as the player not always the “the whole picture”.

I understand that even some early reactions and feedback on some individual notes can be usefull for you.

I think clearing up everytime you do some of these teasers, that this are only a few changes is very important.

3 Likes

in fairness, my first paragraph did recommend a grain of salt.

but considering the track record ima stay skeptical until we see what’s what.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.