Those freaking meteor enemies

If they did that it would be equivalent to having the area level penetration apply before the cap (like shred) meaning you could out-gear it. If they reduced the cap by 1 per area level, people wonder wtf the cap is reducing and once it hits 0 at lvl 75 they would likely avoid getting resists on gear freeing up quite a few suffixes.

With the current situation, having 74% resists means you take 1% more damage than you would compared to having capped resists. And if they just did it like PoE then you’d take 4% more damage.

It’s a lie as it is. You simply do not have the resistances that your stat screen says.

1 Like

You do, they just don’t have the effect that you think they do. It’s not a lie, it’s just not telling you everything (which isn’t ideal).

The game does tell you, you just need to do math.

In the upper right corner, the game tells you the Area Level.
In the game guide, the game tells you your resistances are lowered by the Area Level (capped at -75).
So, you open your character sheet, look at the resists and subtract the Area Level in the upper right of the screen.

:smiley:

No, you do not. By your explanation you are not resisting 75% of the damage dealt of any given type at any point in the game. It’s bad enough that health/ward are factored into the damage formula and because of that formula you never actually get a true representation of the reduction that resistances grant. It’s made even worse by the fact that you don’t actually get resists that you’re at listed anywhere directly.

1 Like

Think of it this way (using Fire damage as an example).

Wrong: “I resist 75% of all Fire Damage.”
Right: “I resist 75% more Fire Damage than I would otherwise.”

You are.

If you have 75% resist & a mob hits you for 100 damage, you take 100 damage. If you have 0% resist & get hit for 100 damage, you take 175 damage. Therefore you resisted the additional 75 damage due to having capped resists.

They aren’t & haven’t for many years (back when LE used protections instead of resists).

They give you the resists that they say they do.

That’s on the character screen.

That’s not how multiplication works. If you’re being hit for 100 at 75% resists then at 0% you should be taking 400. It should not be expressed as a percentage if it isn’t.

Then the wiki is years out of date, what a crying shame for a source of information that’s marked as official.

1 Like

That’s not how resists work in LE (because of the area level penetration), plus I meant that the mob did 100 damage (before mitigation), but regardless, those are the numbers that you would see.

Yes, the wiki has been out of date for many years.

There’s an official wiki? I don’t think there is… but I could be wrong?

There isn’t.

I agree with Mishona on this one: having 75% resists and then 75% penetration is completely redundant and makes the resist stat meaningless in the big picture. Yes, I understand Llama8’s point and the FUNCTION of penetration vs resists in the game, but mathematically it craps itself out if you think critically. Basically, the game is functionally telling you that you have ZERO resistance once you get to area level 75 based on its current “penetration” model. LLama8’s idea that the 75% resist is now protecting against the 75% extra damage you WOULD take is misleading, confusing, and avoidable in the final iteration of the game. Again, I GET how it works, its just there are two conflicting stats that makes it needlessly opaque

1 Like

The purpose of the area penetration is so that if you’re at lower than the cap (either due to gearing or shred) in a lvl 75+ zone then for each 1% you’re under you take 1% more damage compared to not having it (like PoE) where you’d take 4% more damage which the devs felt would be harder for players to get their heads around.

There are other ways to accomplish that though, by abandoning the linear relation between the resistance stat on gear and the effective resist percentage.

I don’t understand how PoE’s system is “1% = 4%”…if you have 75% fire resist, that means you take 25% of the total fire damage you receive. If you have 74% fire resist. you take 26% total fire damage…It’s intuitive. Where is this 4% coming into play?

If a mob does 100 damage and you have 75% resist, you take 25 damage, if you have 74% resist you take 26 damage. 26 is 4% more than 25.

You can even look at the formula, which supports Llama8 here

And look how badly that has worked out in PoE, every single source of + to max res ends up being broken and unintentionally gimps builds that would practically use it with a downside because of some way to stack every kind or triple every aura effect. I think the explanation should be clearer in LE for sure, especially on the character stats screen, but the system seems far better designed.

just wanted to chime in and say “the freaking embermages still suck”, regardless of how resistances work in the game.

1 Like

Dude, the fact that there is this much confusion (and I’ve seen this same resists argument on the in-game chat many times before as well) means their system is needlessly confusing and/or very poorly presented/explained. If they’re going to present it differently than every other ARPG when it comes to resistances, then they need to a damn fine job of explaining and showing what the numbers mean in a clear and concise manner in order to avoid all of this confusion.