This Month in Epoch - March & April 2023

This Month in Epoch

This post covers all the new or interesting information the developers have shared with us over the past two months. I hope to turn this into a recurring monthly or semi-monthly post, but we’ll see. This post is somewhat lengthy because it contains information from both March and April.

Table of Contents

Early Game Rework

So this one could be anywhere from just chapter 1 receiving a rework to chapters 1-3 getting reworked. It’s hard to tell as Mike’s answers have shifted over the weeks but there’s some sort of rework coming to the early game and it could be coming in patch 0.9.1.

Reaper Form Rework

This one had already been teased for patch 0.9, as seen above, but got delayed and will now be releasing in patch 0.9.1. This includes more than just the Reaper Form model itself, but also animations and different variations of the model based on nodes selected within the skill tree.

Sub-Skills

I was certainly happy to see this topic brought up because yes, sub-skills can be very confusing for players and it’d be really nice to have something like what Mike suggests below – systematic rules that apply to all sub-skills, no exceptions, that are detailed throughout the game and within the Game Guide. Obviously the technical hurdles of the system are something they’ll need to overcome in order to normalize them, but I imagine that’ll eventually happen once high-priority items are completed.

New Glyph

Mike revealed that a new glyph will be coming sometime before 1.0 that, as far as he knows, has never been suggested and doesn’t really have anything to do with crafting. If anyone’s got theories I’d love to hear them in the comments.

Shards

Shard Drops

Mike delivers a prepared answer for changes coming to shard drops in the game, as well as a “shard sink” – though, this is likely the shard conversion system Mike discusses later.

Shard Conversion

Mike states that there’s plans for a shard conversion system that will essentially convert one shard to another at a loss.

Item Factions

Mike provides some minor progress updates being made on the system. Currently the back-end systems they’re working on to enable asynchronous trade are a technical hurdle yet to be overcome and are required before further development can proceed. They also have some UI prototype mockups being made as well. The system is still very early in the development process.

Endgame Updates

Mike talks about small changes possibly coming to the endgame in patch 0.9.1. These may include their plans to more easily reduce, reset, or possibly even lock your corruption as well as some system that increases the speed at which you unlock empowered monoliths for follow-up characters.

Mike has also talked about treasure goblins and maps within maps a plethora of times when describing how the monolith is missing unexpected content, but these may or may not come prior to 1.0. Though, they did just tease a new special echo type, which you can see in the spoilers section, so maybe there’s more to come here prior to launch then they lead on. However, after 1.0 Judd has already stated that endgame content becomes a huge focus for them, especially for the first two cycles which they’ve already drawn up loose plans for.

Remaining Masteries

Current Development

Mike provides a few details concerning active development of the remaining masteries – from their skills being designed and prototyped, skills being repurposed or incorporated into other skills, and even some visuals that are being worked on.

Rumour Mill

Okay, it might just be me but did Mike give a hint as to the playstyle for one of the remaining masteries? I haven’t played Magicka but could this possibly be for Warlock? Maybe Runemaster? Let me know in the comments what you think or if you think I’m reading into Mike’s reply a bit too much.

Tempest Strike

This is an older topic but I figured I’d remind people what’s happening with this skill as it comes up in several dev streams. Tempest Strike is having its role changed to a heavier and bigger hitting skill that scales off of attack speed, with another skill coming in to take the role that Tempest Strike used to occupy. However, this change is not currently being worked on.

Legendaries

Mike discusses plans to alter the severity at which low-level uniques have their level requirements increased when being made into legendary items.

Set Items

Mike announced that there’s a plan to prototype a mechanical change for set items. No timeframe was given for this change, nor has development begun on it yet.

Spriggan Form

This was a quick question and answer but it certainly implies that a movement skill is on the horizon for Spriggan Form.

Server Allocation

Mike reveals that they’re currently working on adding an option to manually select your server region. They’re also updating how the game automatically picks your server region. So if you get placed into the wrong server region you’ll be able change it. No timeframe was given, but this feature seems like something that’d get added in a major patch rather than a hotfix, though this is just my own speculation.

Forgotten Knight

Mike provides some backstory behind the name and character model for this NPC.

Spoilers

Dev Stream Spoilers

Below are all the spoilers shown during the March & April dev streams. However, there are still a number of spoilers that were shown in previous months streams that haven’t yet made it into the game. If you’ve missed those you can find them here in this thread. The labels I give spoilers, that aren’t explicitly described to us, are my own assumptions and should not be taken as fact.

Judd supplied some additional spoilers during one of the streams. Also, I didn’t write it down, and forgot what it was, but Judd mentioned a name for one of the new skills coming. If someone knows please leave it in the comments.

• Fur Shader
  • Preview of Progression on Localizations

Social Media Spoilers

These are spoilers that have been showcased on their Facebook or Twitter accounts. There’s generally some overlap with these and spoilers shown during the dev streams.

T15 Primalist Armour Set Concept Art

https://i.imgur.com/6g85zus.png

https://i.imgur.com/gjn3sMR.png

https://i.imgur.com/zHrrRLU.png

https://i.imgur.com/3TlJtxS.png

https://i.imgur.com/84ThUVt.png

Extra Content

Special shoutout to @ActionRPG and his team for hosting a stream with EHG’s “lore-master” Kyle. I encourage those that have any interest in the games story to watch it.

Additionally, please let me know if I made any errors or missed anything in the comments.

17 Likes

Awesome work as always Andrew.

3 Likes

Ditto, thank you, very informative. :heart:

1 Like

No problem, I put a lot of effort into it…

Great stuff oh Master Scribe.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks Andrew :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info! Can’t wait for the new patch especially the new reaper form :+1:

1 Like

Amazing post once again. Thank you!

1 Like

Leaving a like is the least I can do. Great work on compiling the information! Thanks for the effort.

1 Like

big thanks!

1 Like

ty for doing this. uwu

1 Like