Theorycraft: Legendary Cold Beastmaster

Preface: The really odd thing about this was that I was actually able to make a build with 100% uniques (before making anything Legendary) and still have a viable character.

Premise
Hit things with big cold stick (aka Morditas’ Reach). Ton of health, ton of leech, ton of attack speed. A little Dodge. Freeze Everything. Nuff said.

Build
Full build w/uniques: Beastmaster, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.8.3e) - Last Epoch Build Planner
Added items for Legendary: Beastmaster, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.8.3e) - Last Epoch Build Planner

Interesting unique-only (non-legendary) build: Beastmaster, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.8.3e) - Last Epoch Build Planner

As somebody who has tried using Mordita’s Reach for the Frostbite effect, I can tell you that this item does not go well with Tempest Strike. Tempest Strike has a static “hits per second;” attack speed affects the Penetration effect, but doesn’t actually give it more hits per second.

I’m intrigued in using this weapon with the Cold Upheaval skill coming in the new patch. It will finally give us a way to stack Attack Speed with a Cold melee ability, and allow us to incorporate things like War Cry with the Berserk node. Hope the Upheaval tree gives us more ways to stack Frostbite and put good Attack Speed to great use.

1 Like

I agree with Tree, Upheaval’s frostbite conversion looks to be a really saucy choice to going cold DoT. Only negative is poison chance not converting to get even more stacks with viper proc’d.
I hadn’t considered Morditas’s reach and was going to dual wield dragonbones, but that was before the legendary info dropped. All-in-all I think it’ll be a solid fun DoT build.

Oddly, I wasn’t using Morditas’ for Frostbite, and you can see I don’t have a ton of DoT on the build. I was intending this build to do direct melee damage with Frostbite just being icing on the cake (pun intended).

I wasn’t referring to making a DoT build, per se`, but the more stacks of Frostbite you have, the lower the enemy’s Freeze Resistance is, so stacking a ton of Attack Speed and having lots of attacks per second will help it so that you can Freeze enemies even in high-level content. If you’re using 2 Oceareons, you’re already stacking a whole bunch of “Freeze Rate per stack of Chill,” as a stat, and since Chill is such a good defensive ailment anyway, you can easily make it so that you’re constantly applying Max Chill stacks on one enemy at a time.

I know I had a hard time Freezing enemies even using minions to stack as much Frostbite as possible, so hopefully just going full Ham with Attack Speed and stacking those Freeze Rate modifiers will help make it easier for you to Freeze eveverything.

Ah my bad for thinking you were going DoT over hard hits and freeze CC. I misunderstood what you were aiming for with the build. Hopefully the additional changes to Tempest Strike coming up give more TLC and open up it’s viability.

Yes, and I guess it could use Swipe instead of Tempest if needed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.