The Weight Painting on Snakes is too rigid

I noticed it while playing on stream today. To explain for those who read this who don’t work with 3D rigging very much, when you rig something in 3D, you set up bones and vertex groups named after these bones. Then you “Weight Paint” the vertices to those Vertex Groups. But if you only paint the vertices to one group, things move VERY sharply. Think of it as the skin on your elbow moving like you’re PS1 Lara Croft. That’s exactly what happens when the weight painting is too rigid. That’s what I’ve been noticing with a few enemies, Snakes most of all.

The fix is actually pretty simple. Blend the painting to just before the middle of the bones around the ones that are too rigid. This causes the rig to move more smoothly, as one bone is not moving, yet another is, which causes the vertices to bend, kind of like how human skin acts. That said, even though it’s a snake, the rig, from what I could see, is actually pretty interesting. I would love to see it more in depth!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.