The shields of the bosses

So?

The code could simply be for the invul in the way of the following (janky) method:

HP is reduced, check for invul-phase, whole boolean is ‘yes’ don’t allow ‘death’ state and instead return 100% of done damage back to health.

Also fairly easy.

As said:
Undefined.

We have no knowledge, we can’t infer without having the knowledge.

Diverting it to ‘unknown’ is non-feasable, we can only change ‘known’ factors or get to know new factors.

It does, but that’s irrelevant to the goal of the mechanic.

The only reason the mechanic exists is to stop high dps builds from melting bosses without overly punishing low dps builds.

If it was a 5s invuln, then both builds are affected equally, which works, but not that well.

If it’s my first example, it’s a 300% increase in kill time (2s to 8s) for high dps builds and a 20% increase in kill time (50s to 60s) for low dps builds. Which is within the realm of “not overly punishing” especially if the boss is designed to take 60s at the low-dps side to begin with. Then it’s not punishing… At all?

You can’t implement an invulnerable phase without a visual indication of it. So you need to show players that the boss is currently invulnerable and give it a reason for that that players can see. So you need to change every boss battle, introduce new animations/voice acting, etc.

So it’s obviously a lot more effort and more bug prone than simply changing the value of 3 variables/formulas. It’s not an undefined status.

Also, just so we’re clear, your whole premise is flawed. The initial purpose of DDR was simply to slow down high DPS builds. Nothing else.
It was changed for ward because of visibility for players and because of leech.

Incidentally, making ward be effectively the same as an invulnerability phase has the advantage of still allowing leech, which invulnerable doesn’t (as we can see in PoE. Or could anyway, before every single build can regen the whole health globe in a fraction of a second).

And yes, it’s possible that in the future they come up with an even better system that is more fair for both. Or they just tweak this one to become fairer and stick with it.

1 Like

Why not as well?

Change the color of the blue ward to a golden ‘ward’ and have it reduce steadily instead of exponentially like ward.

Display is not the issue.

Still is.
You just want it to be defined despite having no knowledge pertaining the situation and respective effort needed.
It could also be that it’s hard-coded functionality hidden beyond several layers of interconnection for the code affecting other stuff, we don’t know.

So can we stop nonsensical discussion directions which can’t lead to an outcome please?

Aaaaaand we’re circling back around.
Once more.

I do have knowledge. So do you. No matter what the code is, they’re using 3 values/formulas. You can’t do it any other way. Boss health is a value. Ward health is a value. Ward decay is a formula (which has values).
So we do know that tweaking this system is as simple as changing those 3 values.

Much like we know that making a Monument of Protection drop more/less means changing one single value (same for PoE). I don’t need to read the code to know that this is true.

Which only means that you need to increase ward values and increase decay rate so both are affected the same way.

You know… I’ll stop it there simply.

First the massive discussion happened ‘if it’s worse’.

Then it took the threat nearly 100 total posts from everyone to get to that point.

I’m not spending 100 more to ask you ‘well then, how is the code exactly implemented? Show me!’ to make you understand and showcase the exact code in C# to then dismantle it.
That was not the topic and I won’t make it into one despite you wanting to.

Nobody gives a shit as a player.

After proving that a invul mechanic is inherently superior you diverted to ‘but the code!’, only days after nitpicking that I’m the one moving goalposts. And if I can’t stand something the it’s the double morality of fitting emotional tricks into a logical discussion just to make sure one’s the one ‘winning’.

You know as well as I do that the second a logical infallible deduction is made towards me that I drop topics the second it happens. But plainly spoken… I’m tired and sick of what you showcased there.
I can understand if someone ‘doesn’t get it’, and Scipo ‘got it’ after a while, needed several ways of explaining it but it happened, we could move one.

But this? This is not ‘moving on’ but circle-jerking.

You never did, though. I told you that both mechanics can be exactly the same. And ward has the advantage that you can leech while the boss has ward, which doesn’t happen on invuln phases (as demonstrated in PoE).

Then implement it,

case in point above how one possible method works.

IMHO, all they need to do is to find a way to make ward only proc when “X damage is done in Y time”, then adjust ward values accordingly.
This way, ward will always affect only the high dps builds, while low dps builds will never even know ward exists.

2 Likes

Yes, that was the DR mechanic :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope… DR mechanic didn’t allow for leeching sustainably and didn’t give any visual indications that it was happening.

1 Like

So all that was needed was enabling leech via implementing it before DR values and giving a visual feedback?

Gotcha. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well… yeah. That’s what they said were their intentions when introducing the new system: to hinder only high dps builds while giving visual clarity of what’s going on.

DR system needed tweaking, but they choose this method instead.
And both can have the same outcome. All Ward system needs is, uh… tweaks.

But please, don’t start with me now what you already concluded with both DJ and Scipo. :sweat_smile:

Maybe we can spam Mike with this question on the stream today, see what he has to say about current state of Ward System and what are the plans. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, definitely doable if I can catch it.

I just find it really humorous that the whole discussion basically always leads towards a system that’s more like DR again when we had DR and that solely needed some tweaks.

Instead now people are saying the current system can be ‘adjusted’ - which the former one should’ve been since the basis functioned - but are utterly against exchanging it which was done with DR for some odd reason.

This topic has made me facepalm and laugh to no end, both of it. It’s kinda hilarious if you see it in that direction. People discussing to no end about good and bad… and ultimately you came along and simply said ‘Yeah… make it like DR’ had me breaking down here in front of the screen :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s because we’re not the Devs and do not get to make decisions in the game making… So, we can suggest, discuss and argue, but that’s it. Gotta cope with what we have.

LOL yeah… I had some fun reading through all the 50+ posts since yesterday. Especially after getting from work now, lighted up a fine rolled joint and had some beers :rofl:
At some point you guys had me thinking “Wth, they look like a married couple trying to find a reason to get a divorce, all pointing fingers of whos is trying to make the discussion longer”

Anyways, what are you graduated on @Kulze ? I’m asking because in some posts you often bring up the human psyche to the discussion, so I always refer to you as the “psychology guy” when talking to my husband bout what’s going on in the forums :sweat_smile:

Err… Mike’s stream ended an hour ago (it was a fun stream).

2 Likes

I’m on the autistic spectrum, which means I get sudden months or year-long urges to learn things. So I’ve done a few things overall and finished several apprenticeships over the course of my life.

I’ve learned electronics technician, carpenter, insurance salesman (never again, not for me as I can’t keep proper contact) and went into learning together with a friend who studied to be a psycho-therapist in university, I didn’t attend at the time but spend basically 90% of my time over at his place and read through all the books and loads still stay up to date with scientific reports. Same as with physics.
Complex topics are my ‘comfort stuff’ which help me cope with daily life basically.

And given my situation and to make me function without immediately failing psychology has been a immense help in life to understand myself and others around me.

Whoops I guess, next week then.

1 Like

I will like to add that I understood where you’re coming from. I still inherently disagree with your standpoint as the goal of Boss Ward is to give higher dps players a chance to experience the fight while not negatively impacting low dps players who already experience it.

If they design a boss fight to last a maximum of 60s, then the 10s boss ward and a 50s base kill time without boss ward is the 60s minimum and low dps builds are not affected.

You’re thinking of Boss Ward as a mechanic tacked onto a boss health bar instead of as part of the whole boss fight. Sure you can say it adds 10s to the low dps kill time, but if the total kill time with boss ward as a mechanic is taken into account then low dps builds meet the bare minimum kill time.

1 Like

So… since low dps builds were basically ‘unaffected’ by DR formerly but are not by Ward now I’ll re-frame what you just wrote:

Since we now have 3 phases with 30 second ward where a low dps build might shave off 10 seconds per phase low dps and boss ward depicts 70% of the total boss HP that means boss life has been buffed by ~75% for low dps builds (a bit less).

Sounds like crap to me personally if I’m one of the people playing such a build.

Tacked on or essential part of the boss-design. I’ll be pissed off either way because it doesn’t align with my expectations from 1.0 and since I’m already using a weak build it just made my life harder.

That sounds like you’re assuming that they left the hp the same & just tacked on a bunch of ward. What if that’s not the case & in the “low dps” regime the total ehp of the boss is broadly similar (since, as you say, low dps builds would have been minimally affected by the dynamic damage reduction)? This feels like it’s a necessary & rather critical question for the devs since it’s a fundamental assumption.

2 Likes