The relationship between Spell Blade and the sword

It seems like you want to make the Spellblade more caster-like

Just because the Spellblade does not use skills with a “spell tag” in a lot of builds, doesn’t make him less “spellcaster-like”.

I mean he literally can shoot giant waves of fire/lightning or summon frosty icicles while fighting his foes with melee weapons.
If that’s not, what you would like this class to be, that’s fine, but calling that a “problem” is pretty drastic.

The direction the LE devs seem to go with Spellblade is a melee orientated, Elemental enhancing fighter, that can proc/trigger a lot of stuff will using melee attacks.
There are also builds that can actually utilize manually casted spell, so there is definitely the option for that.

Again, I think a lot of your concerns will get impacted, with the Rune Master. We will most likely also see more of those melee/spell hybrid Uniques like Battlemage’s Endeavour

I get your point but Pc games, coded games, only allow so much freedom so I alway takes what fits my taste best or mirrors the playstyle i want :).

The game is in Beta. That means it’s not complete. Did you miss that? Why are you expecting “full-fledged” anything?

What lore? There is effectively zero lore for any class in this game. You get an extraordinarily brief intro for your base class and about two sentences of dialog from the shade you talk to when choosing your Mastery. That isn’t lore. It’s an elevator pitch.

It does. You just don’t like what it is. That is absolutely not the same as it not being there.

If you want to equip a sword and role-play in an action RPG, then equip a sword. Like, is your complaint really “YOU GUYS IT’S CALLED A SPELL BLADE NOT A SPELL STAFF”? Come on.

Most people read a class name and two sentences and go “Neat!” or “No thanks!”. Somehow you decided instead to write a Lord of the Rings worth of canon about Spell Blades in your head and then get weird about nobody else sharing that vision on the forums. Your argument is utterly inane.

I’m really happy about the unique Spellblade staff because I personally like the theme of a staff wielding magic warrior. I like martial arts combat style in films and games and that staff adds it for me, at least a bit.

:sweat_smile:

I would not be so nitpicking on phrases like “Spellblade” has “blade” and thus may only use blades weapons. O like exceptions like the S&B Rogue.

Also theres “man” in Necromancer", but nobody is complaining about it being not fitting to a female character (hopefully I’m not opening pandora box uere).

There’s not that much lore in LE, at least not so much that we have lore based restrictions that affect the gameplay.

Everything the devs do is for creating gameplay related stuff. If the lore then doesn’t fit, it gets altered. In 90% of the cases it’s not the other way round.

1 Like

That is a very good observation… I agree… I definitely see each mastery class as an independant class… To me they dont even need to be categorised into a base class (mage.rogue.sentinel) once they are mastered… Its almost as if the class is transformed for me into something new like a child born of different parents but independant in its own right.

I did not miss this, but we do not have the opportunity to communicate (two-way) with the developers and we do not know what they think and plan, so all we can do is to unilaterally express our thoughts and wishes.

I’m not going to convince anyone of anything. If SpellBlade is a Warrior for you, so be it. Consider him even a barbarian or a murderer, your right.
I just expressed my thoughts and wishes to the developers, if they find it useless, so be it. If it helps them in any way, I will be glad.

This is the peculiarity of a UNIQUE weapon.
It has special properties, or even skills, so they cannot be regarded as a standard tool.

Incidentally, I also like this weapon.

That’s not true, the devs are active on Discord & they do sometimes post here as well. Plus some evil Gatekeepers who seek to suppress all dissent and wrongthink cough the Community Testers do have a closer relationship with the devs, Mike streams on Twitch every Friday and he answers a lot of questions. The streams would probably be harder to understand if you’re not fluent at English though, so Discord might be a good place to start.

1 Like

They will answer the question there, what will Runamaster be like and what changes are planned in SpellBlade against this background? No, they will not answer. I am talking about this, that on a specific issue, there is great uncertainty.
Therefore, I have to judge on the merits, on the basis of what we have today.

Just to add my grain of salt: Blade doesn’t necessarily mean ‘sword’ but all weapon (or tool) with a sharpe edge. But i think they called it ‘Spellblade’ just for flavor purpose.

They could also call it a Battlemage or a Magic Warrior. A class that mix together magic and martial proficiency. After that, they could be more focus on spell or martial art but they choose the current Spellblade.

I do not try to invent what is not, I look at what is and express my opinion about what I like or dislike.

For example, I like the fact that SpellBlade is based on a magician, not a warrior. I love that the developers made spell triggers and made it possible to use spells.

I like the way the developers have done in the Surge Crackling Blades node. You are not required to use the sword, but you can get bonuses from it.
You say that “Blade” is just a name, it doesn’t mean anything, but the game says something else.
Others say that SpellBlade is NOT a MAG, there is Sork for that. But the game speaks of ANOTHER.

All I want is for the developers to expand and improve these mechanics that they themselves introduced. I hope that such an interesting class does not turn into an ordinary “Warrior that waves a fiery sword”.

If someone thinks that SpellBlade is a warrior, or a barbarian or ranger, that is their right, as well as my right to consider him a magician.
And the right of developers to assess whether they are interested in it or not.

I didn’t say that blade mean nothing, i’m just saying that blade doesn’t refer to a sword. It just refer to a magician that also take martial training. It doesn’t mean that he is a warrior but he isn’t a traditional mage anymore. So yeah, spellblade is more likely to slash his weapon for some fancy effect.

I am not suggesting that other weapons be banned.
Heavy wrote above correctly, if you want to use axes, or hammers or daggers, use.
I’m just saying that there are skills that emphasize closeness to the sword, and I think it would be good if there were more such skills.

Or take CrystalBlade, which has a very high efficiency for SpellBlade, why not make it so that it does not have such an overestimated efficiency against other swords. To make other swords more relevant as well.

You are not forced to use CrystalBlade today. So I do not propose to force.

Let me give you another example.
Let’s take the Infused Weapon passive skill.
Add to it an increase in melee elemental damage by N% when using a sword.
At the same time, slightly reduce such a bonus for CrystalBlade.
This will increase interest in other swords.
For other types of weapons, this does not change anything about the effectiveness that is now. Use axes, even hammers or two-handed weapons.

Hopping into this thread briefly to clarify something for the devs. I believe @Duminant2021 is asking for changes to the class, skills, or other sword bases in order to offer competitive itemization options to Crystal Swords. I would hope the statement above is not asking for a nerf to the Crystal Sword base. (Having at least 1 good option is better than 5 mediocre ones, be careful what you ask for).

Best,
Crystal Sword Andy Tny

1 Like

I will repeat myself once again, I am not saying that you need to do exactly the same, I just gave an example.
For Crystal Blade, I suggested that for balance reasons. If weakening is not required, I do not mind.
My goal is not to make the CrystalBlade assemblies weaker, but to tighten others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.