The game crashes on startup

Hello dear developers and players! I am asking for your help, as Last Epoch does not start on my notebook. A year ago I purchased the game and everything was fine until recently. The game crashes on startup. I know that there are many such topics on the forum. I will only add that I tried to run LE like a couple of days ago in Steam, and today in the official launcher of the game. All is in vain. Files are attached. I will be glad to advice and help!
DxDiag.txt (120.2 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
Player.log (29.4 KB)
Player-prev.log (36.3 KB)

Add files.
error.log (61.9 KB)
Player.log (15.1 KB)

Hey. Welcome to the forums…

The first thing I need to highlight is that your GPU is way under the minimum required for the game to run. Your CPU barely makes the cut but your GPU is at least 70% slower than the minimum GTX660Ti (and 50% slower than a R9 270) that is required for the game. I am not saying it will NOT run, but that your system is under spec.

With this in mind, you need to realise that the game IS going to struggle on your system even at the lowest possible settings…

Which brings me to your settings… You are running at Medium @ 1080p without any framerate limits with things like grass/shadows/reflections etc enabled… Your GPU is more than likely burning rubber and maxing out from the moment you start the game and I doubt you are getting anything near what I would consider decent performance or stability…

Added to all of this is that the current game state is unoptimised regarding performance and has lots of known issues related to this optimisation - i.e. if you set the settings too high for your hardware, the game WILL crash… With your system spec, and the settings you are trying to run at, I am honestly amazed that you say you have been able to play the game before…

Looking at the log files you have provided, the game is crashing on nvwgf2umx.dll (this is a nvidia direct x driver component) and this then crashes UnityPlayer.dll (the game engine LE is using… These errors are commonly associated with the performance related instability I mentioned above… and usually point to 1 of 4 things - corrupted game files, bad GPU or DirectX drivers, too high settings in-game from the hardware or a physical problem with the hardware (max usage and crash).

• As you have used the official launcher, its unlikely to be a problem with the game files.
  • You GPU is unfortunately very old and under spec so its more likely that your in-game settings are far too high for your hardware to handle and its simply crashing.
  • You drivers look recent but again, your hardware is so old that there there is no way to tell if the new drivers are even helping…

I would recommend that you edit the settings file and change all settings to Verylow or disabled:

ConfigVersion = 2
MasterQuality = VeryLow
TerrainQuality = VeryLow
ShadowQuality = VeryLow
DetailShadows = false
HBAO Quality = VeryLow
SetHX = VeryLow
Reflections = VeryLow
ScreenSpaceReflections = VeryLow
GrassDensity = Off
antialiasingMode = Off
ColorGradingIntensity = Medium
vertical Sync = Off
StreamerMode = false
LimitForegroundFPS = True
MaxForegroundFPS = 30
LimitBackgroundFPS = false
MaxBackgroundFPS = 60
SelectedMonitor = 0
ScreenMode = ExclusiveFullScreen
Resolution = 1920x1080

Also… your Windows version is 19041… there is 42 and 43 to update to…

You may also have to do a safe mode GPU driver reinstallation (or use something like DDU) to make sure that your drivers are not corrupted… Be warned, on old laptops, using the generic Nvidia drivers can cause problems - i.e. if you dont use the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the laptop certain things can stop working.

1 Like

Thank you! I usually try not to pay attention to the graphics settings and always play on the lowest configuration. At the end of the day, I play for the sake of the process of the game and for the enjoyment. I installed older drivers and set the graphics settings to the lowest and disabled all graphics features I could. Everything started: 3 But I still hope that you will be able to achieve some significant progress in optimization! Thank you again for the answer and the game. Good luck.

Glad that worked for you.

Unfortunately hardware does factor into newer games and your system is beginning to show its age so you may find that you need to manually fiddle with settings more often - especially in newer games that default to a “recommended” spec and dont auto detect hardware capabilities…

The optimisation of the game should help - but imho there isnt much point in spending too much time optimising the game when its not content complete - why optimise something that is going to change or even be removed from the game later anyway… So yes, we can all hope it will improve… Unfortnately it is unlikely to improve that much for the lower end tho… You cannot really make a car go that much faster when the accellerator is already pushed flat… :wink:

Glad the game is working again for you…

Ps. I dont work for EHG and have zero involvement in the dev… :wink:

1 Like