The Convergence Update - Beta 0.9 Patch Notes

Hello I was reading through the Multiplayer notes and I don’t see anything mentioned about penalties playing with people who are lower/higher level than each other…

Can anyone shed some light on that topic?

My friends and I have varying work schedules and it would be a shame if we were dissuaded from playing together based on some minor level discrepancies. Thanks.

@Surkles
There is no bonus or penatly to exp.

There is just a system in place to cap off exessive exp gain from fighting in areas that are way above your characters level.

Thank you for that.
So am I correct in assuming any further progressed person can go back and help someone without any negative repercussions to that lower level player in the lower level player’s appropriate zone/levelling content?

I guess the adjustments to Frostbite as a whole and the Ailment Effect change saved Snowdrift from further adjustments, well for now at least. A little sad with the overall speed hits to most of the builds I shoot for but I had a feeling they were looming overhead. We’ll see where we end up moving forward in terms of balancing as things settle into place.

Although I’m hoping some controller refinements happened from MP beta to now and didn’t make it into the patch notes. As it’ll be a miserable experience if it stays as is with something as simple as waypoints and other objects being non-interactive with the controller’s targeting.

Interested on this as well. It would give me inspiration to give Tornado another go around. But if this isn’t on the table for 0.9, then I’ll just keep Shaman on hold until it gets the rework it desperately needs.

Correct

Added note for Void Knight Skill Changes: Anomaly

• Time Bubble now shreds void resistance (it previously stated that it increased void damage taken, but did not have this effect in practice)
2 Likes

Even if tornado is good, it’s still better play it as something other than shaman (especially proccing it via swarmblade); shaman is just not in a good state right now.

1 Like

Nope, they gain penetration to your resists per area level.

Yes, I never said there wasn’t going to be a reduction in drop rates as the default (compared to current), just that they’ve not said how much of a nerf there’s going to be. And I very much doubt that it’ll be a “massive” nerf. Let’s not start screaming that the sky is falling.

Not sure where you’re going with the final quote unless you think it contradicts what I said (it doesn’t).

Correct.

Did you read my full post? My first sentence was that i agreed with the motivation behind the changes and then gave alternative solutions that achieved the exact same result without messing with how the game already worked.

For something as short range as Shift I don’t really see any other use for it other than a defensive ability for marksman (it can be used more aggressively as bladedancer sure but it’s not in bladedancer it’s a rogue ability). I’m not going to dedicate 20% of my build just to move around the map faster. It needs some in combat use. And for a squishy ranged character who has to stand still to attack, having an ability to either make distance between enemies or to reposition so i can resume dealing damage to bosses quickly is basically a staple of ARPGs. In my current Marksman build i do not need cooldown rate for anything besides shift so i’m not going to take it. So for my build, this is strictly a nerf that wasn’t needed. That last sentence says there is a problem here.

My point is that increasing the base cooldown solely to prevent some people from stacking an optional stat is not the best solution. I completely agree that they shouldn’t let these abilities get too short of cooldown, either for map movement or for defensive purposes. That’s why i suggested just a hard limit how low they can go that matched their estimate. but their solution of increasing base cooldown messes with the balance of other systems and that is important to game design/balance to take these things into account. They can achieve the same result by using different methods. They didn’t say they were increasing the base cooldown because they felt like they needed it in general. They only said that the point was to prevent cooldown reduction from getting out of hand.

2 Likes

I agree items should feel like they make you a fair bit stronger but I also believe a characters skills and levels should have a bigger impact then items give.

If a lvl 1 character had a god tier item a lvl 100 character should be able to destroy them without using items realistically lol.

It didn’t lose its in-combat use just because the base cooldown is now half a second longer.

This all really just sounds to me like your character is inappropriately squishy and you’ve been getting away with masking using Shift.

If Shift gaining a half second to its base cooldown really, honestly makes a regular, noticeable, significant difference between you dying and not, then Shift’s cooldown is not actually the problem.

And ultimately, while I get that it doesn’t feel great to have a build you like get nerfed, this is still a beta that is being heavily iterated on and tuned, and none of us are entitled to having the builds we like remain (as) powerful in perpetuity, or across major patches.

I don’t think it does. As far as I can see, your evaluation stopped at “Shift got a longer cooldown”, and that’s just not appropriate or reasonable. Have you played with the 0.5 second longer base cooldown? Do you know for certain, from experience, that it’s really a big enough difference for you to even notice it, be restricted by it, or die because of it? If no, then you’re not standing on ground that’s solid here. If yes, then my stance remains what it is directly above - your build is too fragile.

I see it the other way around.

They inflated times for movement skills, if you want somewhat previous feelings in terms of cadence you have to invest in at least, one of the new CDR suffixes.

Belt is already set in stone: both health suffixes, so there’s only there a bait option. Nobody will add some CDR at the cost of a incresed or hybrid health.

So now on boots you have also two set in stone suffixes: hybrid health and CDR. Before you could add armor, percent dodge or any resistance, now you have just lost another suffix.

Yes, mission accomplished, people need to invest into something, if they want certain results.

That is called opportunity cost. And I hope they will further add more stats for more slots to achieve that for a variety of stats.

Don’t speak for other people, I gladly would take CDR over health on some builds.

Yes it is a difficult decision, but that is the exact point that BroncoCollider wanted to get at.

If certain affixes are “set in stone” as you call it, that is a bad sign and EHG wants to combat that.

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound like it’s set in stone to me. It sounds to me like we have to decide if we’d rather have more health, or more frequently availability of our movement skills. Currently, you give nothing meaningful up by choosing double health. There’s no choice in that. Now you will have to give up CDR.

So what you’re saying is, now when crafting your boots you will have to decide if direct numeric defense increases (Armor, Dodge, Resists) or something less concrete (CDR) is going to be more effective for your character, and give up one to have the other. That sounds like a much tougher choice to me. :wink:

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you that your individual decision making process and the conclusions thereof do not universally map to all other builds and players.

1 Like

Apologies if this is already asked/ answered in the Topic! I tried a quick search and couldn’t find anything related to the Unique name relating to my question.

Any plans to adjust the numbers/ change the Stymied Fate Unique boots given ICDRS will now be available in the boots slot suffixes? It feels like it loses some identity with the change.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah totally agree here.

I think that these boots need either a significant buff to the nubmers to feel special and different or a complete otehr change to stay unique.

Especially as one of the “Boss Uniques”

1 Like

Taking away to later force certain “options” to get it back to me is not “mission accomplished”.

Actually is more taking away than anything: in general if you want the old cooldowns without CDR investment, pay 1 suffix in boots, if you want the old cooldowns + the old 17% CDR in helm, pay instead with two 2 suffixes. losing one increased/hybrid health you have no way to make up for.

CDR is not defensive, moving it down to suffixes makes no sense. You lose defensive power in order to travel a bit faster, which is a lame decision to have to make.

BTW also damages the use of unique boots. You are now a more bold incentive to stick with your normal boots.

And the new ring? if it had an upper range of 20% (like the T5 suffix), would be an option, but 10% only? another ring to filter out in just every build.

I think this change damages the player’s ability to craft their equipment, specially when you’re tuning your endgame setup. Losing 1-2 suffixes for something you had before… horrible.

Want more flexibility in gearing? move away either increased or hybrid health from belt to relic or amulet. Move flat health from suffixes to prefixes. Simple.

I am speaking from myself, and also I said this still has to be tested by real use. I cannot see myself using the CDR on belt or the new CDR joke ring.

My point is that not only is a no-brainer (avoid on belt/new ring, get it on boots), you also lose choice, and the unique boots they better be essential to your build or have 3-4LP.

I fully agree on this part, sadly we are on a health META. Increased Health and Hybrid Health are near mandatory in any place you could get them, and also Vitality is priority if not mandatory.

Technically I think it might? I mean you might have to swap from X to Y, but in general I do not see anything in the patch notes that is going to address those concerns. I see a lot of shuffling around of player power from skill X to Y, or adjustments in play style where you might need to look at the monitor, but the player power shift I simply do not see it. Fingers Crossed for a future update.

Let’s do a thought experiment:

You are crafting an item. You are given a pool of three affixes. You can choose any two of them to put on your item. These are the affixes you can choose from:

1. 10% increased health
  2. 10% increased damage
  3. Deal 1 damage to attackers when you block

Obviously, you put 1 and 2 on your item. No brainer.

Have you made a decision?

Is it lame because it’s actually lame, or is it “lame” only because you really want both but can have just one?

1 Like

It’s 2:00 am on the 10th in Japan time, so I’d like to prepare coffee and friends and have fun! Thank you for your good work.