The cause and result of the unlimited coin bug

The incident started when a player discovered a bug and reported it to the official team. However, they were told to submit the bug report through the in-game system. After a week with no response, the player became angry and decided to publicly disclose the bug, along with a tutorial. The bug was related to a source code vulnerability that allowed players to trade between two accounts, resulting in one account having a negative coin value and the other a positive value, effectively giving unlimited coins. It could reach 1.5 billion coins in just 1 second. This bug seems to have just been fixed, which is ridiculous. Reporting it for a week before taking action only when it started to be widely used shows their negligence. However, now the market has collapsed. Although each player has a coin limit, they can accumulate hundreds of billions or even trillions of coins by not collecting the coins obtained through trading. Despite this, the official team has not taken any action, showing their indifferent attitude towards the issue.

3 Likes

This just shows the average internet user at itā€™s best. ā€œSo if I donā€™t think the company does right Iā€™ll make themā€ā€¦

So this idiot completely destroyed the economy insteadā€¦ well done. Iā€™m sure it was worth it. What exactly came of it? I hope EHG IP ban moron for life.

9 Likes

Iā€™m not defending the Developers, because I donā€™t have all the relevant information, but this was ridiculously irresponsible of the player. They had no idea how the Dev team were working on fixing it, & no idea how close they were to fixing it either.

They 100% knew that releasing the information to the public would crash the Bazaar, & yet they went ahead & did it anyway, & just because they didnā€™t get a reply to a bug report.

7 Likes

they should hire him

Yes, letā€™s hire the person that ruins the entire game economy in a tantrum because he didnā€™t feel validated. Thatā€™s gonna go well!

12 Likes

Originally just stating facts, which ended up attracting a bunch of developers sending dogs. The post keeps getting hidden. Haha. Bring in more dogs to keep closing the post.

1 Like

Your Tinfoil hat appears to have fallen off. Best get it back on before you come up with any more stupid conspiracies.

You do know that the Developers can straight up delete your posts, they have no need to ā€œsend Dogsā€ to do it.

5 Likes

It is standard practice to give devs 7 days, also common in software and economic institutions. When devs dont respond or give in the demands, people leak. People did this from my own memory about 100 times in past decade.

7 days is enough time, for what should be a simple fix

2 Likes

Soā€¦ there is a fucking piece of shit guy that destroyed the economy on purpose but the fault is on devā€™s sideā€¦ That amounts of hipocrisy are making me sick.

8 Likes

Right? The bozo was sitting there like,

Iā€™m so mad that this currently mostly unknown bug is being exploited and hasnā€™t been fixed as fast as I want it to be that Iā€™m going to release it for everyone to use and completely fuck the economy up for everybody. Obviously, I am doing this out of the purest, most altruistic intentions of preventing the economy from being fucked up by this bug.

Totally about ā€œexposing the negligenceā€ and not just a kicking screaming tantrum on the floor about not being made to feel important.

5 Likes

The timing was really bad (Easter holidays). He showed no mercy to devs, as people. However, his character & decision aside, as a result we (immediately) got a working fix. And hopefully the inspiration to improve the game and avoid similar mishaps in the future.

4 Likes

LOL amount of fanboys in this thread defending the devs for negligence is fucking insane.

Get a grip, the economy IS MG, if you have an infinite gold bug whether he released it to public or only certain ppl using it, it doesnt fucking matter, the economy is ruined. Fix it ASAP, reroll servers to DAY 1, dont care. Just fix it.

3 Likes

Well, this explains why every decent item I see on the player merchants is priced at a billion or more gold.

Effectively makes the merchantā€™s guild useless for anyone who isnā€™t a cheater.

Whatā€™s insane is the number of smooth brains who seriously think a full on rollback that annihilates the progress of the >99% of us who didnā€™t cheat just to punish the <1% who did and course correct an imaginary economy is a good idea.

Most people will accept a temporarily fucked up trade economy that doesnā€™t even impact most of them to begin with. They will not accept a total loss of their progress because of cheating they didnā€™t participate in. If ever there were a way for EHG to actually kill their game, rolling everybody back would be it.

5 Likes

Wellā€¦ a couple of things:

1. The economy was ruined on day 1 by chinese gold farmers/sellers and Aholes that do RMT
  2. By the time you farm 25kk to pay some ahole a 2lp bow, youll have 3 in the stash

TLDR: Go play CoF, wich btw, in my opinion, is how the game is meant to be played.

2 Likes

Go play CoF, wich btw, in my opinion, is how the game is meant to be played.

Maybe before it got nerfed into the ground. Farming 100 echoes to get no upgrades is about as fun as farming 1.5b gold to get that 2lp.

6 Likes

I bet their brain works like this: ā€œItā€™s not my fault for not locking my car door after Iā€™ve been told that itā€™s open. Itā€™s the thiefā€™s fault for taking it after I decided not to act on the advice that the car door should be closed!ā€ :rofl:

Just imagine if government services, including those that keep personal information on citizens, behaved like thisā€¦ it would be a disaster to not be proactive and take preemptive measures.

1 Like

But why is the player responsible? They could have just not reported this bug and exploited it every cycle to benefit them. How many were aware of this and using it in that way or even using it for RMT?

In the same vein we have the profane veil/smoke bomb bugs, content creators knew these were bugged and still showcased them. Can these people be blamed in the same way(IMO they are not to blame for the bug) You might argue this is a gameplay impact rather than economy impact, but if these bugs allowed people to farm at much higher corruption (which has more loot and better chance for high LP) it would still have an economic impact right?

I acknowledge that bugs take time to fix and EHG takes gold/economy affecting changes pretty seriously. But I donā€™t agree with blaming players for the economic fallout from such bugs. Do we also blame the players using a bugged build to top the ladder?
Anyway, this is just my 2c as a purely offline CoF player.

3 Likes

At the time of the bug showcases, EHGā€™s policy was still to not fix it within the season.
SO one could argue that the content creators were levelling the playing field.

Post-survey, now that the mid-cycle fix is policy, I would agree with the stance that because itā€™s temporary issue, community members should file a bug report and not spread that knowledge around.

Which is exaclty what the original player didnā€™t do. They reported it on the forums. (As I understand:) It got moderated to not show the exploit and they were asked to make an ingame report so they could also see logs and probably verify exactly what issue there is. Considering there is some cross-account shenanigans involved, I assume this may be an interaction with 3rd party software like Steam or AWS that didnā€™t get flagged before.

Up to that point, all good.
And then the player decided to release the info anyway, because reasons.

We donā€™t even know if the hotfix now is a permanent solution or a resource-hog just to patch over things until they can get a clean fix going on whatever code is being abused.
But we shouldnā€™t even be having this discussion. Finding a bug that could collapse MG economy and then releasing the info in a tantrum is childish behaviour and needs to be met as such. Regardless if itā€™s EHGā€™s responsibility to create a fair environment, that person noticed a flaw in their work and deliberately chose to ruin the economy for this cycle (and longer even for Legacy)
I have no compassion for such a malicious action.

2 Likes

They reported the bug, & when they didnā€™t get a personal response from EHG they threw a tantrum & released the video showing everyone how to do it.

If they had been patient, the exploit would not have escalated as quickly as it did, & the market wouldnā€™t have crashed.

Iā€™m not blaming all the Players, just the one person that released the video.

3 Likes