The Case against a Trade Economy

Once you have enough currency in an ARPG you value your time more than that. You won’t disrupt your play to make a worthless trade, and you’re certainly not going to sell a good item for nothing.

My PoV is that trading is just an indirect pity timer to help you get the items you need/want. If you want the solo experience there is an option for that.

I just know that trade economies can get weird. You never know what could be considered super broken. There could be some base item that gives a weird amount of gold that turns out to be highly tradeable because they are easy to farm and sell. Gold efficiency in getting uniques from the gambling system will probably become super important.

I’m real interested in how they plan on introducing trade. D3’s was a abject disaster when it came out in my opinion. PoE’s trading system has turned that game into “who can farm currency the most efficient to buy the best items?”, (honestly PoE has WAY more issues than the trading system)

Neither one has honestly provided good value to either game. I have stayed away from using them in both games. Thats after trying them and find that A. in PoE people will try to lie and trick you, ive seen plenty of players fall for the 5 link that looks like a 6 link cause they aren’t paying attention. B. I don’t want to spend my time searching for items in a database and haggling for price because finding the item would take weeks against just buying it.

I really don’t want to make items super rare to find because its getting flooded in trade, and i really don’t want trade to take over the meta on builds. We’ll see how it goes.

Personally I hate trading because I usually play solo and every game that has trading seems to assume that players will trade and therefore alters the drop rates accordingly. Great, you can’t find item x, you’ll just trade for it, whereas I am now stuck endlessly farming and maybe never seeing said item. Main reason I gave up on PoE tbh.

You could just balance the SSF and non SSF drop rates differently but what happens if I want to just play with what I’ve found but share that loot between my characters? Ooops, guess not, better play non SSF with crap drop rates.

All this is speculation anyway at this stage of the game, and if anyone can figure out a way of somehow pleasing everyone it would be amazing (impossible imo, but amazing :grin: )

Apologies if I sound bitter or am repeating what others have said (couldn’t be bothered to read through 500+ posts). I’m just sick to death of us anti social solo players being screwed over on drop rates just because we choose not to interact with other people.

I still hope that the (good) thing that PoE has, will still be thought about for LE. Guilds and a guild stash so that if we find something super that would suit a fellow guildie, we can drop it in there for them, also if we are grouped with people we are able to freely trade with them if we pick up an item.
Personally, ARPGs are my “second string” gaming mode, as I’m primarily an MMORPG player, but having read the threads on trading in ARPGs, I can see that it may well be a bad idea for a plethora of reasons. But…this will be an online game, an MMO as such. There will be players who want interaction with the Community, and many who don’t. As I’ve got older and toxicity has become more prevalent in games, I tend to be one of the latter, just sticking with friends I’ve got from many years of playing.
The one thing that sticks out from all these posts is that, if trading happens, it mustn’t affect the game at all for those who have no desire to use that system.
There are many was of implementing trading in MMORPGs because they are open world, whereas ARPGs are all instanced, that’s why it’s difficult to come up with a suitable method that won’t impact on the game.

Any form of free exchange will create a real-money third-party market.

It works ok in PoE and Diablo 3 without money coming into it.

Really? Last time I played there were plenty of RMTs in PoE.

In Diablo it does not matter because it’s not needed: the useful gear is quite limited and also easy to find.

A 48 hour guild approval time should solve the RMT issue

Most guild systems have access priorities for stash tabs, which allows the leader/officers time to assess new members, so there would be no RMTers trying to join guilds, plus in every game with trading you will always get the odd person who wipes out the bank. Our guild in ESO has been going for donkey’s years, and this week we had our first “bank thief”. Guilds are a good way of safeguarding and a brilliant way to get decent gear/mats to members.
As for being allowed to trade with group members, I can’t see how that would encourage RMTers. Then again the game needs a robust “report” feature, so that people can report RMTers and those who buy from them, the latter being the most important, because without them there would be no RMTers. The devs also need to keep an eye on people who amass huge amounts of gold in a very short time.

No offense guys, but this thread is huge, and we covered guilds already. The TL;DR is that RMTs can just set up a guild, everyone on the planet can join it, and RMT goes nuts. Guild trading is not a viable option.

It’s more of a deterrent for the RMTers to play the system. If there is no approval time. Seller can just set up a guild, add buyer as member, transfer money and item, remove buyer from guild, profit. With 48 hour downtime, while it won’t stop the most stubborn folks, it will reduce the number to a minimum. It does not stop friends from forming guild and share items after playing together for a while.

Same thing as easing trade with groups, it ease the buyer and seller to transact.

Report button would be useless. Most people interact with RMTers will not report them. Other than people who have too much time to set up traps, I fail to see it as an effective measure. It also requires manpower and resource cost for the devs.

Personally, I don’t care much for RMTers but I care if the game is balanced around them.

For 48 hours, then they’re all good…

There was game I used to play where leaving guild/clan give you 1 or 2 days penalty in which you can´t join another guild/clan. You can tied it with some guild reputation like WoW which give you “advantages”. This can minimize changing guild for trade as you don´t trade in minute and you “loose” your friends for 2-4 days or you have to level up your guild status again.

I know that there is probably no bulletproff concept against RTM except good drop rate where trade is only complementary to it.

Well to be perfectly honest, if I couldn’t help guildies and friends out with gear, and vice versa, it’s not a game I would play, I can do it in other ARPGs. Multiplayer? …but just to do what? Chat? Say ooooh look another player? No guilds? Either you interact, or just make it a single player game and be done with it.
Can you imagine playing with a friend and the item he’s been looking for for ages, drops and you can’t give it to him? What a ridiculous concept. Every online game out there has to deal with RMTers somehow, it’s no good running away from them and restricting the playerbase in an effort to keep them out.
Of course cheats won’t report the RMTers, but I’ve noticed many a time that they like to brag about using RMT, and I have absolutely no qualms about reporting them. Report buttons are to report the RMTers who are standing in town advertising. At the moment my son’s playing and my friend and we have 3 others who say they will when it’s multiplayer. This game is going to need all the players it can get to make enough to continue to develop what is a GREAT game. By saying “oh no we don’t want that”, or “we don’t need guilds”, you’ll find a lot of people will just say “not playing that, it’s not even a real multiplayer”. There are many games due out and EHG need to be canny to scoop up some of the “looking for a fresh game” players.

Guilds don’t exist yet, so we don’t know how EHG will implement them.
People in your party when the item drops will be able to trade with you for it.
No word yet on any sort of “Friends List” functionality in regards to trading, although a lot of ideas were proposed, such as being able to trade with anyone on your friends list before the item dropped (each item would stores its drop date/timestamp, and each friend on your friends list would have the same).

The thread has become too large for its own good at this point, I’m afraid.
A lot of people are coming in and raising points that were discussed to death hundreds of replies ago (which is understandable, bc hardly anyone will read through 500+ replies), or speculating over things EHG have already announced (which is why I linked the announcement of current Trade plans a while ago).

If mods believe this serves no further purpose, it could probably be closed. I believe all kinds of perspectives on the matter have already been raised here.

I think this will happen to threads many times over, as we new players join the game and wish to have a say on issues. I read through a great long thread on gender lock because I had asked a question about it and was reminded this had already been discussed, but if you don’t allow new threads on a subject then new players will be unable to have a say as they are locked. I understand that any game is a business, so shutting out new interest is bad, even if it was discussed months even years ago.

I suppose that’s one way of looking at it. But with their recent update on the plans for Trade, most speculation here has been answered.

economy is one of the main drawcards for an ARPG for me and the improvements EHG are trying to make over something like PoE’s system is one of the reasons I backed the game initially
given how big of a feature it is I think it’s too late at this point to advocate for its removal

1 Like

We already have confirmation that current plans, at least, do not involve any sort of real economy. Check out the posts on the state of multiplayer and trade.