The Case against a Trade Economy

Maybe it’s already mentioned multiple times before, but would restricting number of trades available per day/week on sellers (account-bound) help prevent abusing/botters and preserve the values of rare items?

Personally I don’t rely on trading in my history of online gaming but it would be nice to able to give items to/receive items from friends who play together. Also to get that item you just can’t get no matter how much you farm.

I agree that trading is most definitely a sensitive subject as RMT, gold sellers, gear & currency saturation can have a lasting impact on the livelihood of the game. I also believe that stripping the possibility of the feature can be just as detrimental. Having a trade economy increases not only the depth but fidelity of the game. This is especially true when loot is based on RNG and crafting is pseudo-deterministic.

On the personal front, I love the idea of auction houses, player-to-player trading, and player run shops. I think any of those could fit in the confines of the game if implemented properly.

Coming from someone who values effort, avoidance is never the answer. Attempts and failures are respectable outcomes but simply not trying seems, I don’t know, lackadaisical.

Regardless of the mechanism in place to facilitate the trade I just ask that if the devs decide to go the route of interfacing with a list of items available that they make it searchable or at the very least filterable.

1 Like

You would if the devs went down the D3 balance route and balanced around the assumption that trade would happen resulting in very low drop rates for useable gear, forcing you to trade.

1 Like

I know I said in my last post that no trading would sort out RMT and other cheating methods, but that was the lazy way out. There’s got to be a way to sort out trading without the scourge of RMT and cheaters. I’m sure EHG are giving it masses of thought, I think we all should, in case a brilliant idea pops up. One thought pops to mind, if we have trading, could we have an option when clicking on a person’s name to right click and report for RMTers, and an auto mute of said player after, say, 5 reports with a warning that the report system is not to be abused as that could result in a ban. Perhaps we could have an incentive for reporting, as I know a lot of people don’t bother…a ladder of sorts, Safe Pockets, for each RMTer caught :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually think RMT/Bots are a secondary concern, not a primary one. The main concern is maintaining the key gameplay loop, which automated/easy trade fundamentally affects and threatens.

“I just want to kill monsters and obtain the loot I want” is the core gameplay loop, and whenever “obtaining the loot you want” takes too much of a detour through methods more efficient than “killing monsters”, there’s a problem, or at the very least, the potential for a large problem.

In many ways trade economies become a crutch in ARPG design: they become a way to keep the gameplay loop motivating without having to look too hard at drop/progression/time spent balance. Keeping a mostly SSF-based ARPG motivating and enjoyable in endgame grind is probably the biggest challenge imaginable, because it highlights what drops far more harshly than when you can convert anything that drops into value, so either having loot be too rewarding too fast, then plateauing very early (hello D3 2.0, for example), or be frustratingly harsh without the option to “fix” drop luck via trade is always a danger.

LE has a good crafting system instead to help mitigate bad drop RNG, and it works very well for that purpose. Hence why I believe a more SSF-focused approach (with a more or less very restricted form of niche trade in form of the Bazaar, and friend list trading) is the right one. Right now LE hits that plateau of running out of upgrades fairly early, due to the power of the crafting early on, but there are more item types and more forms of content incoming for endgame. So I’m optimistic that we’re heading in a rather unique direction, suitable to carving out a niche of its own and offering an alternative to PoE’s trade meta and D4’s eventual “MMO Light D3 2.0 grind”.

1 Like

Why does there have to be trading? Adding trading puts the devs in a very difficult spot balance-wise, they either have to:

• Accept that most people will do a certain amount of trading for gear & therefore balance gear-from-mobs around that additional source of gear (so the player’s overall gear progression is still where they want it to be). This ####s over people who don’t trade because it lowers the drop rates.
  • Make trading difficult to slow down trade as a source of gear. PoE went this route (neither of their two trading systems is exactly frictionless). This ####s over people who like trade.
  • Don’t make trade possible at all (an extension of the above) which allows them to balance gear-from-mobs without any other concern. This would make many players sad because they can’t give the nice-piece-of-gear-that-they-can’t-use to their friend who can.

I’m just not sure the circle can be squared & any attempt at all will leave some people sad/pissed off depending on where they land on the continuum of frictionless-trade to no-trade.

Edit: An option, of course, is to balance drops in SSF & non-SSF differently.

2 Likes

There doesn’t have to be trading of course. But if they are thinking about it and people have requested it, then it’s worth thinking of a way to do it without the nasty bits. EHG seem to be innovative and unique, maybe they will come up with an innovative and unique way of trading, and there’s no harm in putting forward sensible suggestions to help them attain that, more than likely based on their bazaar idea. As long as the bazaar is kept random for which shops are in it, that’s fine, but don’t go down the slippery slope of ESO and allow people to bid for a place.
I’ve had a small idea, which will probably be given a rough ride, but it kinda makes sense. So each trader allocates their shop to one type of item, jewellery, armour, weapons, idols etc.etc. Have traders in each main hub, but for example, only Uniques/Exalted in End of Time, Armour in Council Chambers etc. etc. That way you only have one place to go for a chance of finding the item you want rather than scour through hundreds of random shops, and you wouldn’t need a 3rd party site to search.

lol

Lack of loot in D3 are you kidding me? Loot falls like rain in that game.

I’ve played that game on and off for years, its tons of fun, and I have no problems with loot.

That’s nice, but @Llama8 is talking about the early days or day 1 of Diablo 3, I think.
→ Afterwards, it has been increasingly “softened”, yes.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’ve played Vanilla D3. The release version and the 2.0 version which came around Reaper of Souls are very different games. Nowadays you are showered in loot yes, it is tuned to SSF. It didn’t used to be. Lots of stuff dropped yes, but most of it was trash (think PoE now, but almost worse, really). The game, including loot, was balanced around the existence of an ingame AH, which was a disaster, pretty much.

It’s the main reason no other ARPG has attempted such a system since, and the reason no “real” ARPG will anytime soon, imo.

1 Like

Some thoughts i don’t think many people considered. In some way or another, if we introduce multiplayer, trading WILL happen. Dropping items on the ground after you enter an echo being the main way, which inevitably will open the RMT can of worms, but you won’t be able to give gold, only items.

The problem is, PoE allowed stashes to be indexed, which basically opened the trade aspect of the game, which they constantly had to work upon without objective forethought, which then landed in the mess they are now.

The problem is, how to introduce multiplayer, without being able to make one person be able to give, one way or another, items to one another.

Not on release it wasn’t. When they did loot 2.0 with Reaper of Souls it became a lot “nicer” (though the issue with ridiculous damage numbers still stands).

Not necessarily. If all loot is always instanced, you wouldn’t be able to do any form of trade, not even dropping gear on the ground (which would be the bare minimum for RMT to work).

Yeah, if they choose the SSF route they can even use the whole theme of the game in this. Making so, when in multiplayer, items drops in the “universal timeline”, which means they can be picked up by anyone but after “x” time they sync with the timeline of the player that picked the item, making the items untradable. In this system fragments/gold/consumables should always be instanced thou.

On another note, LE also already has the perfect system to “gate” rare items trading, which is the fracture system, all they need to do is making so trading an item on the bazzar adds x instability, potentially fracturing the item. This limits flipping and a bunch of other problems related to trading items.
Furthermore they can even make so you can only trade goods of equal nature (gear for gear, fragment for fragment, etc…) which also “solves” other common problems of trading in the genre.

Noooooo! Please dont! :sweat_smile:

But this made me think about restricting fractured items for trade. So you can only sell potential BiS gear. You sell the chances of getting a top tier item, not a top tear item itself. This can prevent saturation of the market. In rare cases you may have a non fractured T20+ item to sell. But would you really take the risk to eventually fracture an item, being not able to sell it anymore, or sell the item and leave fracturing it to the customer. :wink:

I see all the downsides with trade. But I really like it, at least sharing stuff with friends.

1 Like

I already suggested this more than once, one of those suggestions even is in this topic.

Yeah! The fame belongs to you, buddy. No worries. :wink:

1 Like

The restrictions will be Gold by itself. It takes arround 1-3 million gold to gamble a forgotten sword set piece. There will be noone able to trade untill some time is spent.

I wish there was some kind of guild system that allows trading between players in the same guild and that’s it. I would hate it if I drop a BiS Staff for my buddy I play with and I’m not able to trade it.

I’m still the guy who says: If somone farmed enough to affort the item it’s fair game. In my early days of MMOs and Hack and Slays trading was a reeealy big thing to do but the restrictions that are in “modern day games” are simple there to make games look bigger and harder then they are.

Sure you can come up with something like Blizz pulled of and called soulbound but come on that was utterly weak and just a tool to prolong content that otherwise would be done much faster because there was never much to do.

Trading was never the issue but content and game design is.

This is true as long as the prices are somewhat reasonable.

But at some point you will have players that have top tier gear and are also rich. They don’t care about the “correct” prices and sell their items at low prices, ruining the pricing for others. Then people will get very good gear for fewer and fewer effort.

Well, if anything, i’d make a minimal bid system tied to total affix tiers.
-22 total affix tier on an item: 3mill gold
-20 affixes: 1,5mill gold
-17 affixes: 800k gold
-15 affixes: 100k gold

So on…