The Bazaar

With the risk to spend your time in the trading system more than in the game itself.
When we launch the game, we’re supposed to mainly play, not mainly trade. Killing monsters should remain the best way to get items.

2 Likes

I just thought of a suggestion: monsters drop a refresh glyph to refresh the Bazar. Ie in order to trade you need to play the game.

You could expand it to seller so they don’t flood the market with worthless material.

Interesting idea but the main issue with the current Bazaar system is that it’s impossible to target or search for a specific item which means it’s like gambling but with player’s offers andit looks so inconvenient and time consuming that it likely won’t be worth it.
Even if you find the item you look for, it could be too expensive, I fear players will find this system too boring and random so they won’t use it.
There need to be a good compromise between trading and playing the game (killing monsters and crafting).
If trading is too random and time consuming nobody will use it , if it’s too easy then loot will come from the Bazaar insted of playing the game.The idea to create consumable currency droping from monsters that can be used for better targeting which shop can spawn could also be expanded.

2 Likes

Another lying game studio they said there will be AH but now they are following the steps of poe with tedious trade. I won’t drop 1 dollar more to this game and will change my steam review to negative.

I don’t remember them saying there would be AH. I always heard them saying there would be trade, though.

4 Likes

I really don’t think of the Bazaar as Trade. I think of it as a really odd, player-in-the-middle, extra source of RNG loot, no different than monsters dropping loot, or the Gambler giving you loot. The Bazaar is likely to be just as random in finding a good item for your character, and you’ll find yourself saying “Eh, well, that’ll do for now” just like you do with other loot.

2 Likes

while it may be the case that we are supposed to mainly play - I still stand by my statement.

The only function that trade serves is to speed up getting hard to obtain items. I am not saying this is good or bad - merely that it is the POINT of trading. If they don’t want players to skip the item hunt then they should not even implement trading.

1 Like

I agree - in fact I think it is even worse than that, even if you find what you want, and even if it is cheap…

you will have spent even more time looking through the stores to get it than if you just put on a high strictness item filter and farmed monos.

Keep in mind with your filter hundreds of items can drop and be hidden for every item you actually see, so if you need to manually search the bazaar then you will have the same experience as if you had item filter OFF.

1 Like

I agree with this completely. A system of player to player trade that does not allow targeted, deliberate purchasing of specific items serves no purpose and has no reason to exist.

The concept of The Bazaar, as described, is a novelty at best - it is not a practical, useful, interesting, or fun system. It could be NPCs with randomly generated loot and no one would notice.

That, we will only know after trying.
Right now we can have an opinion and think how it will be like, but the only way to really know is to use it.
And I’m sure that, if the majority of players don’t like it, EHG will adjust or change it.
That’s why I’m totally ready to try it.

3 Likes

True, but on paper, it does not sound like a practical, useful, interesting, or fun system. Fortunately EHG’s willingness to revisit and change stuff (protections → resists) is a good sign.

2 Likes

It still serves that function, simply because you’ll have an extra source of loot.

You just want it to be akin to how the AH was in Diablo: putting in the stats you want and have it presented to you.

What we have learned from that experience is that it completely annihilates the game at its core. Its simplicity and convenience put the loot hunt part of the game in the hands of botters that could accumulate loot non-stop and left every actual player with nothing but having to fork out gold to get what they should have found killing monsters.

I’d be absolutely happy with not having trading at all.
I still remember the whining of the AH flippers at the news their income source was going to shut down.

2 Likes

We have learned that Blizz can´t copy functional AH from WoW to D3 with bind on equip mechanic which was one of problems. Second problem was terrible itemization like useless legendaries.

Then don’t trade. There can exist the option for trading for anyone who wants it and have zero impact on your fun playing the game. Trade is, always, an optional thing for you in every game. I don’t think the existence of trade in LE will be nearly as big of deal as it is in other games. The only ARPG I ever did trade in was a game that has a terrible loot system, which LE does not have.

I just think it’s a terrible idea to make trade inconvenient. Don’t punish the players that want to trade by making a bad trade system. Either make trade available or don’t make it available at all.

That’s the fictional reality those who like to trade keep living in.
Trading had, has, and will always have an impact on those who do not engage in trading.

The fine line a developer walks when introducing such a huge modifier into the game is extremely dangerous.

They can either create 2 separate games one for traders and one for non-traders, or they can implement trading with huge limitations so that it does not impact the game for those who prefer playing instead of trading.

1 Like

Disagree. People could be trading items every day all day and never have a single bit of impact on my game. They don’t intersect.

Trading only has a positive impact on a game if the game has poor loot systems, like PoE. In a game like LE, where you don’t have to identify anything and crafting is more accessible, trade will not have as much of impact. I can see maybe trading for idols at most for myself if trade is ever put in, otherwise I probably have no use for trade. And if anyone else uses it, it won’t affect my game at all. Like I said, other people’s experience does not intersect with my own, it literally cannot impact my fun.

This is the glaring proof that you’re wrong.

PoE has a poor loot system in order to mantain its trading alive, not the other way around.

The loot system had to be downgraded in favour of trading, it’s not that they could not have better droprates or better crafting chances, but for the trading market to be kept alive they needed to “nudge” people into using it.

It’s the same reason why they will not change the droprated in the SSF mode: they don’t want people to play without the market.

Chris has on numerous occasions stated he hates trade and prefers people to enjoy loot. Just because he’s bad at both doesn’t mean the poor loot exists to make trading better. That is not the intention. In fact they were resistant to even having a trade website to begin with. The loot system was also never downgraded for trade. The reason they nerf loot is because they are terrible game designers and don’t actually care what the players want.

From an official post from Chris

we love trade and feel it is critical to Path of Exile’s formula

…and guess what, after that he goes on to illustrate how trading impacts droprates and other aspects of the game.

I hope it wont end like POE, where looting its just waste time( and you need t15 builds to have fun fiding items after 100h in game), and you want only do currency to buy real items. And then in late shity rng crafting which waste more and more time, 70% of time you not playing. Sorry, late game 90 lvl items, and you have 2 mana rolls on them.

I think here they can do somethink like soulbound mechanic or fee to make Auction House for only spec items. Thanks god LE have gold, becuse in POE barter doesnt work, there always is currency.