The Barbarian: melee without armour

My first character in 1.0 was a Rive / Healing Hands paladin (normal Healing Hands, not using the nonsensical ward conversion node). It was for sure the easiest campaign of my 40+ characters. So easy, in fact, that I decided to do an experiment: try and play a “naked” run.

• Only weapon, shield, boots (for movement), belt (to allow potions, and to wrap around my most intimate parts).
  • Melee character. Added challenge, and I like melee anyway.

I was expecting a tough run, with a lot of kiting and close calls, so I went for a very defensive build: Vengance (for DR) processing Healing Hands. Aura and Sigils as supports, mostly defensive but also a bit of offense. Last skill was supposed to be rebuke for more defenses, but I was never using it so I switched to Lunge which has some good perks. I also keep unspeced Shield Rush on the bar (HH doesn’t need to be selected) to run out of AOEs.

Chapter 1 was really rough, but I got through.
2-3 were ok, easy-ish but I still had to be careful.
From chapter 4 onwards… I barely had to look at the screen anymore (perhaps a bit cold in Heoborea naked, but that’s it). I could completely ignore all attacks of guys like wengari chieftains, yrun or crystal cave monster, the ones I thought would be dangerous. Not a scratch, even when I stood in the fire to see what would happen. Lagon and Majasa, a walk in the park.

Finished the first mono now. Still alive, still naked.
I haven’t even started crafting yet, never felt the need.
It will have to stop at some point, but when? Who will punish this insolent little guy coming in close range naked? Rahyeh? Lagon? Big Dragon?
The bets are on.

In conclusion, I would recommend slightly tuning down Healing Hands.
Someting like 70-80% less power should do the trick.

2 Likes

good luck on your journey! :slight_smile: