The ABSOLUTE UNFAIRNESS of locking offline players out of cosmetics

This actually is my main personal concern so I hope it goes under consideration as well. But even if not, I know that’s something that is rarely done so I’ll not really be surprised even if sad. Its also so far in the future that mentioning it now seems out of place, but as someone who’s potentially going to invest 100$ or more in the near future into the game, its still in the back of my mind.

1 Like

Yes.

Their general take (once they’ve got a “proper” offline version working) is that they don’t want to help nor hinder modding.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, and if they’ve already planned/stated this then that may be largely what is contributing to the complete offline play. No reliance on servers is one factor, but it does give freedom potential for modders to go ham. I don’t really plan to do offline characters since I got into this game to team with a friend, but still, its nice to see their stance on it is practical.

Mods could potentially be amazing, they gave Grim Dawn an extra 1000 hours of playtime from me.

Crate allowed its community to do amazing things, but they were also very helpful in the process. I know Llama said they wont help nor hinder, but fingers crossed they change their stance on the help part.

2 Likes

And some of us just don’t like the way people interact online, political rants, name calling, elitist know it all’s, and just general online toxicity.

1 Like

That’s fair.

I will note though, you can turn off/disable your chat box completely in online, and even play entirely solo without ever interacting with another player.

This might all change with towns in 0.9.1, but for now it’s still a viable option for online.

1 Like

Even with that it still forces me to start over from nothing, erasing 1200 hours played, just to use MTX.

1 Like

I get it and I agree. I usually invest quite a bit to time in my posts to make sure everything is correct. But sometimes, especially when in a hurry or when I refactor sentences multiple times, those kind of careless mistakes slip through.

1 Like

Oh jeez. Throw me a bone here!

1 Like

Then it would just be easier to ask for a way to disable chat, than have an entire offline validation system configured for offline cosmetics. Turning on/off chat channels is a pretty standard thing. Having online validated systems available in offline mode(s) is a bit more tricky, niche.

1 Like

Is there anything stopping you giving people the option to authenticate their account to get a x day pass for using cosmetics offline, that they’ve bought, or should have through kickstarter backing?

1 Like

We had previously raised the possibility of intermittent check-ins to maintain some of the connective functionality for offline mode, and it was quickly shut down by community opinion. Offline mode will be fully offline.

5 Likes

My question was about the option to choose to do that though, not a forced thing. So if you don’t you don’t get the cosmetics you unlocked, if you do, then you get them.

Offline will be fully offline. This has been a very strong request from the community which we agreed to. We don’t want to put asterisks next to it.

11 Likes

Isn’t like, a lot of the community currently stating their opinion on wanting cosmetics in offline. Using community as an argument as to why there cant even be an option to choose whether to connect offline to authenticate seems weird when theres also community saying ‘but what if we could have cosmetics in offline though’.

2 Likes

Is it possible to have a Poll to see where the community stands on the offline cosmetic issue vs “fully offline”? In my opinion this is a different issue and even fully offliners will want to weigh in on. I struggle to think of an offline player that does not want the cosmetics they paid for. Can we have a poll please? Just to see where offline players stand. Fully offline or offline with cosmetics.

1 Like

What is preventing you from writing information about purchases you made online to a file that the offline client processes? This way it can still remain fully offline, you just have to go online mode to make a purchase.

I think a fair solution to make everyone happy would be to have “opt-in” functionality for offline mode, if players want access to their purchased cosmetics in offline mode. Something to evaluate at a later date.

2 Likes

Sadly some people will just be upset regardless, but I think this decision is for the best and will satisfy the most people.

People don’t want to buy a game with promised “true-offline” only to discover there are caveats.

True offline mode should remain true offline. Cosmetic items purchased through an online shop would hinder that mission and create extra DRM, which would in turn lessen the true-offline promise.

3 Likes

Some people will just be upset? Dont speak for what does not affect you. I am noticing alot of onliners offering their two cents on whats best for us offline players.

The most people? And you speak for them because you are an offline player? Should I speak for what online players want?

I am also noticing that those against this are conveniently ignoring options and potential solutions that have been put forth in this thread. Offer the option for full offline if you dont want your cosmetics. Offer the option on menu to verify cosmetics for offline use if you want to use them. In game cosmetics that can be earned through gameplay, etc.

1 Like