The ABSOLUTE UNFAIRNESS of locking offline players out of cosmetics

Oh jeez. Throw me a bone here!

1 Like

Then it would just be easier to ask for a way to disable chat, than have an entire offline validation system configured for offline cosmetics. Turning on/off chat channels is a pretty standard thing. Having online validated systems available in offline mode(s) is a bit more tricky, niche.

1 Like

Is there anything stopping you giving people the option to authenticate their account to get a x day pass for using cosmetics offline, that they’ve bought, or should have through kickstarter backing?

1 Like

We had previously raised the possibility of intermittent check-ins to maintain some of the connective functionality for offline mode, and it was quickly shut down by community opinion. Offline mode will be fully offline.

5 Likes

My question was about the option to choose to do that though, not a forced thing. So if you don’t you don’t get the cosmetics you unlocked, if you do, then you get them.

Offline will be fully offline. This has been a very strong request from the community which we agreed to. We don’t want to put asterisks next to it.

11 Likes

Isn’t like, a lot of the community currently stating their opinion on wanting cosmetics in offline. Using community as an argument as to why there cant even be an option to choose whether to connect offline to authenticate seems weird when theres also community saying ‘but what if we could have cosmetics in offline though’.

2 Likes

Is it possible to have a Poll to see where the community stands on the offline cosmetic issue vs “fully offline”? In my opinion this is a different issue and even fully offliners will want to weigh in on. I struggle to think of an offline player that does not want the cosmetics they paid for. Can we have a poll please? Just to see where offline players stand. Fully offline or offline with cosmetics.

1 Like

What is preventing you from writing information about purchases you made online to a file that the offline client processes? This way it can still remain fully offline, you just have to go online mode to make a purchase.

I think a fair solution to make everyone happy would be to have “opt-in” functionality for offline mode, if players want access to their purchased cosmetics in offline mode. Something to evaluate at a later date.

2 Likes

Sadly some people will just be upset regardless, but I think this decision is for the best and will satisfy the most people.

People don’t want to buy a game with promised “true-offline” only to discover there are caveats.

True offline mode should remain true offline. Cosmetic items purchased through an online shop would hinder that mission and create extra DRM, which would in turn lessen the true-offline promise.

3 Likes

Some people will just be upset? Dont speak for what does not affect you. I am noticing alot of onliners offering their two cents on whats best for us offline players.

The most people? And you speak for them because you are an offline player? Should I speak for what online players want?

I am also noticing that those against this are conveniently ignoring options and potential solutions that have been put forth in this thread. Offer the option for full offline if you dont want your cosmetics. Offer the option on menu to verify cosmetics for offline use if you want to use them. In game cosmetics that can be earned through gameplay, etc.

1 Like

100% agree. I’m glad EHG sticks to what was decided (with the help of the community) a long time ago. The “True offline” was a pretty big deal to a lot of people. It’s unfortunate but there is no perfect solution that will please everyone.

Maybe EHG should reimburse those who wants it ?
…And apologize for the “ABSOLUTE UNFAIRNESS” (sorry but I find it a funny hyperbole)

3 Likes

This is assuming peoples views/conflating the issue.

Have shop in online mode, let people buy things from that, have an option to authenticate/ do something every x days (which you decide if you want to do again when its run out) to do a check again, that will let you have that stuff offline.

And even beyond that, theres people, many of them, who have cosmetics already unlocked, with no shop having even been in the game, that wont be able to use those offline.

EHG are doing the usual thing of trying to make out what people are asking for is something different, in this case it’s pushing the idea that what people are asking for is offline, but with forced authentication for shop purchases. That’s not what people are asking for.

1 Like

Having two forms of offline, a true offline and a not-true offline is a lot to maintain and develop, even if you don’t think it is.

EHG is still a small indie team. Demanding they make two versions or two forms of offline just so a tiny portion of the community can use MTX cosmetics in offline is unrealistic.

In a perfect world sure, but people here are making assumptions on how a store-front and development works.

Okay, show me how that can be realistically done under a limited time-frame with as few developers as possible.

Why should EHG, a small team, dedicate a lot of work hours on this rather than say push for new patches and bringing us closer to 1.0?

You’re the ones being a tad bit unrealistic here. I bought into this game for online AND offline. I have characters and builds in both. I know an MTX shop requires server auth and people freaked out and screamed at EHG in the past for even suggesting making offline not a TRUE offline experience.

You can’t have it both ways.

Again, be realistic. Offer up REAL solutions instead of wishful thinking. It would be nice as an option, but this isn’t a perfect world.

1 Like

No one has put a timeframe or said it has to happen now. Thats why the post asks them to look into it. Limited DLC has also been offered as an option and EHG_Kain said they considered that but the issue was overtime there would be way too many DLCS that they cannot remove from steam. The solutions are there in this thread. You are seemingly reading past them.

As for screaming about True offline, You can’t generalize. Show me a post where I freaked out and screamed about True offline. No one is asking for absolutes. Again as Auora said above Stop “pushing the idea that what people are asking for is offline, but with forced authentication for shop purchases. That’s not what people are asking for.”

Can they implement limited DLC in the steam store for offline players like they had planned? Wishful thinking, I guess, cos it has not been done before.

Can they offer tools for offline players to create and mod their own cosmetics or skins? Wishful thinking, I guess, cos it has not been done before.

Can they encrypt cosmetic files (purchased, downloaded and installed from the LE website) so they can be downloaded and used in an offline client? Wishful thinking, I guess, cos it has not been done before.

If there will be no offline cosmetics, then can they implement a few cosmetics earnable in game during gameplay? So offline players can have a few crumbs? Wishful thinking, I guess, cos it has not been done before.

I do not need to be a dev to offer complete solutions. Neither do I know it all. I am simply suggesting ideas.

No ones asking for two versions of offline, heck even thinking that we’re getting a different version of offline for this is wrong. They’re the same version of the game, as we’ve been told repeatedly when bringing up the problems with having content hit offline mode at the same time as online.

If you take a stroll down memory lane and look for all the topics that are offline related you’ll see a lot of people who got almost agressive if people asked themself what a complete offline mode will be good for these days.
All the posts about internet services outside of the western world that are terrible and datavolume issues and whatnot were a bit suprising to me but I got the point why many people wanted a fully offline mode.
It’s strange to se people advocating now for an offline mode with online services because one can’t happen with the other. People fought for a fully offline mode and they got what they wished for.

In the patch overview video the dev said Le will release later this year so I think you have no chance to change what we have right now. With the system in place I can’t see an easy solution to have MTX in the offline mode outside of selling a bazzillion of DLC packs.

2 Likes

Again, no ones asking for a forced online check, just the option to do it if they want to.