Tempest mechanics

Hello community,

I’d really appreciate your help with understanding how the reworked Tempest work. Based on the tags itself “Physical, Lightning, Cold, Melee, Strenght, Attunment” one time, after using it also “Spell” appears. I do have a node that removes a phys tempest.

So my understanding is:

• It is an melee attack, from description, therefore scales with attack speed.
  • The “fun” part, actual tempest, is actually a spell, but getting any cast speed makes no difference, because they are triggered by attack. This comes from the tag “spell” scaling.
  • If they are a spell, they do scale with spell power, x element damage, spell crit and so on.

What I’m wondering is:

• Are they really a spell?
    -If the skill has so many tags e.g, “cold” in my case is constant for all attacks, does it work with +cold spell or +melee cold? What if lightning tempest is triggered? The cold tag is still there.
  • how does the +x% melee crit interact with it? I’m pretty sure it works on the initial attack, but not the tempest itself as it is a spell.

I do apologize if it was already asked and answered. If so, please point me to other post or a video.