Switching audio output in game

i posted a bug report a few minutes ago related to a crash i was having during the campaign, and it reminded me of this small QoL feature i have been meaning to bring up.

i use a wireless headset when using my computer at night (apartment life) and it’s a bit wonky. i have to use a third party tool to switch sound source with a keyboard shortcut to switch between my speakers and my headset. (this is because the wireless receiver is always connected, so the system doesn’t auto-switch to the headset output when i turn it on because it hasn’t detected a change.) that’s a gripe i have with the manufacturer of the headset, but it does cause me some slight annoyance with LE.

the game does not switch audio sources when i use my keyboard shortcut. i have to quit and reload the game for it to be recognized. i have the same problem with PoE, but they have an option to select audio output in game so i can switch it without having to quit and reload. i’d like to see a similar feature in LE. some games seem to have no problem switching outputs when i use my keyboard shortcut, so if that would be possible with LE, it’d be great. just having the option in the menu would be really nice though!

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up! I have a similar problem and also need to leave and reload. I’m also doing the same thing like you do in PoE but at least its possible.

Would be a nice feature as I have a similar setup.

However, based on my experience in audio with games over the years, I am not sure if this changing audio is entirely related to the game itself… I have had similar issues with other games where audio changes in game are not always registered correctly or third party apps lock the audio (I like playing music in the background sometimes) until you actually change things in the OS (windows at least). My kids are forever having hassles with game audio when they want to use things like discord instead of in-game voice etc.

All I am saying is that this may be more complicated…

I posted this back in Feb as a bug report as it didn’t seem to be working right.

I’ve got some wired and wireless headphones that are both always connected but I use the windows sound manager thing (top option when you right click on the sound icon in the system tray) to change which device is being used. I also found that you can change device surprisingly late while LE is starting up and it still works.

I also switch between headphones and speakers and would really appreciate it if Last Epoch followed the audio device when I changed it in Windows. The alternate solution of allowing us to pick an audio device manually would be OK, too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.