Swipe Tooltip headache

Hi, I wanted to get into calculations a bit to try to understand how the game scales damage and how tooltip is calculated.

I tried creating a spreadsheet to calculate my swipe dps, without any gear or extra buffs (just to verify my formulas are ok).

While my formulas seem to work for other skills, I can’t get them to work on swipe on level 19. I don’t understand what am I missing.

This is my character, without any gear equipped: Beastmaster, Level 75 (LE Beta 0.8.5f) - Last Epoch Build Planner

From what I see, from the swipe skill itself the only thing contributing when not fighting, is the more multipliers. My calculations:
https://imgur.com/a/PrpxTzv

suggest I should be doing 114dps, but the in game tooltip shows 272 which is way off:
https://imgur.com/a/KuvLjvZ

For increased damage, I am getting 92 from the ingame increased melee damage + 132 from strength

More damage, I am assuming it’s 68% more as it is 1.40*1.20 from the relevant skill passives

Any ideas what am I missing?

Short answer: Do not take tooltip dps as gospel. It can be very wrong especially when factoring in situational and conditional calcs and there are bugs. This is true for all skills but its particularly worse for some that others.

The devs have confirmed this a long time ago and they actually had begun to work on tooltip & character sheet replacements but it was put on the backburner in favour of getting Multiplayer done.

The best way to estimate DPS is to use the skills against Enemy Dummies in the Champions Gate location (where you do Arenas). That gives the best approximation of damage.

Alternatively, spreadsheets are your best bet - I recommend using in-game guide (G) or the Community Game Guide for the calculations required.

ps. I am sure one of the mathematically inclinded players will check your calcs when they see it.

If you have any sort of ailment chances, those are added to tooltip DPS as well. Been a headache for me when I was trying to figure out my own DPS.

Short answer: Do not take tooltip dps as gospel. It can be very wrong especially when factoring in situational and conditional calcs and there are bugs. This is true for all skills but its particularly worse for some that others.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

I still can’t figure out how to make any meaningful measurements using the dummies though

If you have any sort of ailment chances, those are added to tooltip DPS as well. Been a headache for me when I was trying to figure out my own DPS.

I thought about that, but as you can see the bleed chance is 0%

FWIW: I went through your math, and you’re correct with your spreadsheet (though I’m taking a leap of faith with the critical damage calculations because mine were wildly different, but we came to the same answer). Hope it helps knowing you haven’t forgotten how to do maths.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.