Suggestion for non-deterministic Idol Crafting

I generally like the way idols currently work as a more difficult to attain long term goal. I think idols would be a great match for a less deterministic crafting system.

Say for example at the end of a dungeon you can access a crafting altar in which you can put two idols of the same type. Then you can combine them into a new idol with one of these results:

• Completely random new idol
  • New idol of the same type with affixes randomly selected from the two input idols (this could be weighted against rare affixes to make it less powerful)
  • Rare chance for unique idols (maybe depending on the input idols ?)

I think this kind of system would achieve a lot of the same things I like about legendary crafting:

• Items that aren’t perfect still have a use
  • You always have a bunch of crafting projects in your stash tab
  • Interaction with the items doesn’t stop after you pick it up, it stays on your mind until you finish the craft
  • Gambling away your items is fun

Some of you probably noticed this is basically PoE’s recombinator system, one of my favorite mechanics they ever introduced. :wink:

I like this but I think it should be up to three idols on the left and up to three on the right. That way the keys feel more useful and you can increase odds of repeated affixes.

I would like to see another mechanic involved with this dungeon however that makes the idols a bit more interesting, maybe weird shapes or chances to shrink etc…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.