Suggested change to breakable objects

I have been playing a Lich and am prioritizing ward for my defenses. I have noticed that effects you get when monsters die also occur when you break objects in the game. This creates a situation where I can curse boxes then break them to get a spike in my ward prior to a fight. I can also break boxes with a weapon like Torch of the Pontifex and get burning skeletons to spawn. I am not sure if this is intended or not, but it seems a bit strange.

This is a known issue which will be fixed in the future.

Thanks for the post! :slight_smile:

Oh no!

I think that this mechanic shouldn’t be fixed!

It adds interesting gameplay mechanics (such as gaining ward before a boss fight) and allows builds that rely on killing enemies a chance to take on the really large single enemies. This can add more interesting mechanics having all of the bosses spawn minions all the time.

It also works flavor wise, “of Glory” (health gained on kill), you start feeling victorious after smashing some crates, I know I do. "of Hunger (health gained on hit) you absorb the nutrients from the crate itself, yummy fiber.

It’s obviously not intended, but with smart placement it can actually become quite good design. Dota 2 is notorious for keeping mechanics that function in ways they weren’t originally intended, and it allows the players to explore more possibilities.

I’d like to add that a primalist with only totems and companions as skills can’t break boxes at all, since neither attack boxes on their own. The workaround (switching your RMB from a Skill to Basic Attack) is very clunky.
I’d suggest having boxes as lowest priority targets for companions/totems. They never attack them when there is an enemy around, but if they’d idle mext to you, they instead break boxes near you.
Or simply have Totems always attack, even without enemies around. Might be a bit clunky to aim them, but better than leaving all those boxes unbroken :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.