Since mike just mentioned in ask the devs that storm totem is high on the list of skills to be looked at I just wanted to dump my feelings on the current version of the skill. I only started playing it a few days ago but I actually love it way more than I expected to.
- The lightning storm spell it casts (rapid lightning bolts with high range just feels so nice)
- Using crows to buff it. Seeing a bunch of crows sitting next to the totem spamming buffs just feels cool to me
- Using upheaval to buff it. In conjunction with crows there is something to be said about the thematic feel of running circles around your totem smacking the floor to create lightning.
- Being limited to a single totem. Having multiple totems would make the previously mentioned buffing behaviour a big pain to deal with.
- The range. I mentioned it before but the targeting range is fantastic for making the totem feel impactful. If this went away I don’t think I’d touch the skill again. If the offscreen clearing potential is a concern I would much rather see the totem placement range go down.
- The area of effect node. This node just decreases overlaps on the storm and it makes me feel very sad having to take 2 points in it just to get some damage from behind it.
- Thunder totem. I’m not a fan at all of chance to replace with a better version of the totem. I would rather see some other requirement or mechanic aside from chance used to produce the thunder totem, or see it reworked into more general power. If multiple storm totems becomes a thing maybe thunder totem could restore a limit to 1 totem and make it fancy.
- Playing a shaman. The shaman tree is just awful and I feel like that is the largest issue with the mastery, more than any of the actual skills.
- The storm totem tree itself. It feels like there is one good way to set the tree up, and every other node does nothing at all.
- Blizzard having next to no support in the tree.
- The delay before storm totem starts casting abilities.
Overall really excited to see what you guys do with the skill.